1995 malibu tyee price?

hi

my friend selling his 1995 17' malibu tyee with 1995 mercury 135hp two stroke and 1995 shorelander trailer and 2000 mercury 9.9 four stroke kicker
he use it less than 20 times in the past 26 years. the boat and trailer are still in very good conditon (for 26 years old)
both engine didn't use for last five years. he is asking $9800.
i'm think to buy it from him.
my question is if both motor still can run and compassion test is ok
how much it worth? $10000?
it does NOT have any electronic or downrigger.........etc
thanks

Last edited:
The Tyee is a good boat and they sell quickly. We like ours. However, that is old and perhaps unreliable power on it. With newer power, the boat could be $15,000. $10,000 seems high, to me.

It’s worth asking 10 and see what happens. Maybe be prepared to take 8

If the top is in great condition, I'd tune up the engines and trailer with a good backyard mechanic, give it a wax and ask at least 12k on Facebook Market Place and the BC Boats for sale Groups. Sounds like a cream puff, never really used. There is nothing else in that range. Almost everything is 20k and up and a lot 30k and up. May long weekend coming up and you can't travel, everywhere is booked and your only other options are very very expensive. I've filtered out everything over 20k. https://vancouver.craigslist.org/se...boat_length_overall=19&boat_propulsion_type=2

Here is what I found over 20k that is "comparable" https://vancouver.craigslist.org/pml/boa/d/maple-ridge-1967-lynnwood-fully/7309944868.html

With all the 4 strokes sold in the past 15 years, plus lease returns, there's not a lot of value left in that old tech two stroke main. My guestimate:
- main and controls $2000
- kicker $1200 (up to $1500 if it has PTT and remote controls w/ electric start)
- trailer $1000
- hull: ??? Might well be shiny outside and from a reputable builder, but it's a quarter century old. How has it been stored and maintained? Has moisture got into deck, transom or stringers? Could be worth $3000 if immaculate, or could be a $3000-4000 repair bill if there's water damage.

Everything right now is double what is worth. A few years ago I woudl have said list it under 10. Ask 15k. You should see the boats selling for that right now.

If it truly is "in very good shape" I think 10K sounds about right in today's market. He could try 15K, but I think quite a few buyers wouldn't even bother making an offer with that 2 stroke and no extra gear. Has it been stored under cover or out in the rain?

thank you all you guys
the boat store in garage in the first ten years. after that it store on drive way with canvas and slope back
i did check the floor and transom, both are rock solid. the gelcoat still very white, no yellow.
all the vinyl seat and side panel no crack, still look like new
the kicker just tiller model and pull start style. the kicker only use less than 10 hours in the past 26 years. and always keep inside the garage. he didn't use it in the last 5 years
the main engine use less than 100 hours in the past 26 years. but he didn't use it in the last 5 years
the trailer use less than 1500 km. only the first year tow it to port hardy. after that only from vancouver to richmond less than 10 times.
the owner is my friend and i know he didn't lie because he always go fishing with his friend's bigger boat.
i dont worry about the boat. i know i need to change the tire because it is too old, not safe to go on highway
i will find someone check the bearing and brakes.
i only worry the motors. i will do the compression test and test drive it on the water.
do you guys think it still worth $10000 if the motors still can run and good compression test result?
thanks

Yeah, I'd say 10k is fair especially if you take on switching trailer tires and trailer maintenance. You may have to redo the carbs and drain the gas.
today he start up the motors and drain the gas already. we going to test the boat on this long weekend.
i keep thinking a 26 years old boat package is it still worth almost 10000?

The old Merc. two-stroke (not Opti direct injection two-stroke technology) motors were known for being gas hogs. In those days gas was cheaper. If you get it, in the longer term I would be looking for a newer motor.

My old fishing partner had an old school 100hp carbed Merc. 2 stroke and an old school Merc. 15hp carbed 2 stroke kicker on a 17 footer. That combination went through gas like you were flushing a toilet. When I got my current much larger and heavier boat with a 225 HP Opti 2-stroke and a 10 HP Yami. HT kicker it seemed like we went through about the same amount of gas, but what a difference between the size and weight of the boats and the total HP produced.

Last edited:
I have a Tyee and think $10K should be fair,you could buy a new 90 or 115 four stroke and still sell it easily for money invested.Or use it for 5 or 10 years and still come out fine.

Back