Sangster Boats, Anything to watch out for?

Drewski Canuck

I am looking at what appears to be a 19 foot Sangster with an engine well for the outboard. It has an old Merc "tower of power" 115, which is blown, so it looks like a contender for a project boat. Have anyone on the Board ever done a tear down on a Sangster? I am expecting the full deal on floor, stringer, transom, etc. I don't like the covered bow, even if it is better for the salt, and believe that it could be modified to an open bow with some aluminum work.

Love to hear everyone's opinions on Sangsters as a Project boat.

Drewski

I had a 20 Ft. cuddy Sangster years ago,nothing wrong with their design or fiberglass work given they are very old boats.Back then builders built in lots of fiberglass because they thought they needed to.But with age you will have rot in transom,floor, stringers more than likely.Wiring will need to be redone.Why aluminum,fiberglass mod would be easier,at least for me?Just cut the deck to where you want and fiberglass a flange and stiffeners down from there.

Agree with Rayvon as I owned a Sangster 19th footer way back in the day. Overall solid, good looking ride, heavy, sea worthy but in my case underpowered with a Merc 4 banger I/O. With a boat that age the transom will definitely will be weak along with a spongy floor in the rear. In my opinion worth the effort if inclined. I preferred the hard top even back then just to stay out of the elements. I really liked this boat as was perfect for 3 fisher persons.

Attachments

• 17DD2B4E-A052-4C0E-94F5-CE82CA7A3030.jpeg
    17DD2B4E-A052-4C0E-94F5-CE82CA7A3030.jpeg
    314.7 KB · Views: 42
Back