Looking for used truck buying advice

If I were you, I would continue with the Chev for the next year, If it has the 5.7 litre engine. Do more research and if you can see your way clear have a look at a Toyota Tundra with the 5.7 litre engine. Diesels are imo overkill for your purposes.

There's a lot of diesel trucks on the road that don't need to be. Sales people are very good at convincing shoppers they're not serious guys unless they diesel up. Every time I've stepped onto a lot to look at trucks the first question I'm asked is "Will you be towing anything?" - yes answer gets you an immediate trip to the diesel dept. Takes a lot of self confidence for a guy to resist the suggestion that they might not be using the right tool for the job.

There's a place for diesel for sure. I've had them in my work fleet and there are times when they are very much the right tool for the job. Up to each owner to figure out how often that will be for their situation.
There is a lot of f150 on the road towing **** they should not be, up the coq they get turned around by the cops all the time

get a diesel if you drive enough to offset the cost upgrade. a diesel will net you power and fuel mileage over most gasoline comparable trucks , although some of the new fuel management of the new gas engines are getting close if not passing the diesel trucks.

i like my expedition that gets 26mpg that is double the mileage of the gas engine that was in there. with the cummins that i built for it!

get a diesel if you drive enough to offset the cost upgrade. a diesel will net you power and fuel mileage over most gasoline comparable trucks , although some of the new fuel management of the new gas engines are getting close if not passing the diesel trucks.

i like my expedition that gets 26mpg that is double the mileage of the gas engine that was in there. with the cummins that i built for it!
Plus resale value over gas

i am very biased, i build alot of cummins engines, and is my business. i do one off cummins repowers into Fords. as far as factory diesels go cummins or 6.7 powerstroke , i personally would skip the 6.0 and 6.4

i am very biased, i build alot of cummins engines, and is my business. i do one off cummins repowers into Fords. as far as factory diesels go cummins or 6.7 powerstroke , i personally would skip the 6.0 and 6.4
Duramax all the way lol

I got a 03 cummins with 230 on the clock for 13 around 6 years ago. It had its weak design points (ball joints) (steering box) - but the after market has stepped up. Rebuildable ball joints / bigger steering box / new linkage. Its at 450km now and going strong, done the little things like ujoints along the way, but when you can do it yourself, it makes for an economical package. I'll spend less in a year than a guy does on a new truck payment in a month. If your going to do the work though, go the extra mile and get the parts with a lifetime warranty.. If you have to do it twice, at least you dont have to pay for it twice.

Cheers, and good luck with your search.

My buddy pulls his Kingfisher 2525 with a Ram 1500 eco turbo diesel back and forth from ECVI to WCVI. Just another option for people who don't need a 3/4 or 1T.

If I were you, I would continue with the Chev for the next year, If it has the 5.7 litre engine. Do more research and if you can see your way clear have a look at a Toyota Tundra with the 5.7 litre engine. Diesels are imo overkill for your purposes.
You are a voice of reason gungadin :)
I'm afraid that considering its age, the truck is probably worth little to most people, but it has a remanufactured 5.7 from Canada Engines with only ~15K km in it. Transmission shifts perfectly, tires are like new, brakes are good, AC blows cold, cruise control, power windows, locks, etc., everything works and no rattles - pretty remarkable for a 1991. It is not rust free, but still looks great.
I have learned a lot from this thread though, and I now know that what I really want someday is a diesel - and I need it like a hole in the head! LOL

You are a voice of reason gungadin :)
I'm afraid that considering its age, the truck is probably worth little to most people, but it has a remanufactured 5.7 from Canada Engines with only ~15K km in it. Transmission shifts perfectly, tires are like new, brakes are good, AC blows cold, cruise control, power windows, locks, etc., everything works and no rattles - pretty remarkable for a 1991. It is not rust free, but still looks great.
I have learned a lot from this thread though, and I now know that what I really want someday is a diesel - and I need it like a hole in the head! LOL
Yeeeeiii

My buddy pulls his Kingfisher 2525 with a Ram 1500 eco turbo diesel back and forth from ECVI to WCVI. Just another option for people who don't need a 3/4 or 1T.
That seems like a big load for an ecodiesel. the ecodiesel up to 2018 can tow up to about 9500lbs. I have a 22' seasport that I tow short distances with my 2005 F150 5.4.. and it struggles up big hills. the seasport weight approx 4200lbs (no engine), volvo penta and leg is another 1000lbs, trailer is another 1,000lbs. add gas, gear and people and I figure my load is around 7,000 - 7500 lbs. seems like I am near the. comfortable max for both my F150 and an ecodiesel? I ask because I need a new truck too but dont want a full size diesel (it's just too much for a daily commuter) and I love the ecodiesel but not sure if it's enough??

That seems like a big load for an ecodiesel. the ecodiesel up to 2018 can tow up to about 9500lbs. I have a 22' seasport that I tow short distances with my 2005 F150 5.4.. and it struggles up big hills. the seasport weight approx 4200lbs (no engine), volvo penta and leg is another 1000lbs, trailer is another 1,000lbs. add gas, gear and people and I figure my load is around 7,000 - 7500 lbs. seems like I am near the. comfortable max for both my F150 and an ecodiesel? I ask because I need a new truck too but dont want a full size diesel (it's just too much for a daily commuter) and I love the ecodiesel but not sure if it's enough??
Ford echo diesel sits at 250 hp, 440 ft tork, gm sits at 220hp I think , not really a towing truck imo

Look in the fine print in the glossy truck brochures, the best payload and tow capacity for most truck families is for the gas variant. This will be due to extra weight of diesel power train. (But I wouldn't want the fuel bill for a gasser towing 10,000 lb).

Read carefully and extensively. What is the right truck for you this year? Answer could well be different next year. Our needs change, trucks change.

And I also know if you get a 1 ton you are put in a different class re insurance... I drove my truck 5120 km last year so didn't qualify for the discounted insurance, DAMN moose hunt and damn sask whitetail hunt !!!! LOL LOL all the truck are good I do like the new F 150 my buddy gets kill gas economy...to be honest we by a truck for one reason cause they look cool!!!!

Obviously anything you buy - Get something that more than handles the load - it will last longer and be safer.. but with that said .. My 03's good for 13,000 lbs a new 3500 is good for something silly like 35'000 lbs.. - My truck is overkill for what I do and you need either a different license, or an endorsement to tow over 10,000.

Obviously anything you buy - Get something that more than handles the load - it will last longer and be safer.. but with that said .. My 03's good for 13,000 lbs a new 3500 is good for something silly like 35'000 lbs.. - My truck is overkill for what I do and you need either a different license, or an endorsement to tow over 10,000.
My buddy was towing a 32ft trailer with his f150, the rating was good for it so they said, coming down the coq with it pushing in the back he shat his pants, he sold it and bought a f350 power stroke, because it can pull it does not mean it can stop it

My buddy was towing a 32ft trailer with his f150, the rating was good for it so they said, coming down the coq with it pushing in the back he shat his pants, he sold it and bought a f350 power stroke, because it can pull it does not mean it can stop it
Over 5k he should have had brakes on the trailer.. ?

Back