Advice on buying used outboard/things to look for

Nahee27

Going to look at a 2020 merc 60hp this evening, only problem is it's not on a boat and no way to start it or plug it in. Any advice on what to look for or red flags?

I would check the engine and gearcase oils for clarity.
It's kinda tough when you can't see/hear it running.

Sounds iffy not being able to start it what’s that about? Super easy to fire it up on a stand off the boat. I would try to do a compression test you can bring a battery and jump the starter possibly, like mentioned look over all the fluids look for discolouration on the block that could indicate an overheat issue, usually i like to look around the property/house if it’s clean and organized its usually is a good indicator that they take pride in their equipment. If you’re planning on buying a mercury you can get the vessel view mobile and hook it up to your phone ($400) to buy it so only really worth it if your getting a mercury but it will give you hours any fault codes and a good overall history of the motor but I think the motor needs to be running or Atleast the ignition on. If you can’t see it run it better be super cheap or not worth it in my opinion.

a 2020 is (barely) within the 3 year warranty so it should be ok but check the date of purchase is august or later and immediately sign up for the extended 8 yr warranty program. motors under warranty are usually fine if not abused but make sure the seller transfers the warranty over.

Like others suggested; either take a battery and earmuffs and do a compression test or take it to a shop. I wouldn't show the seller any $$ unless it's fully inspected.

Sounds iffy not being able to start it what’s that about? Super easy to fire it up on a stand off the boat. I would try to do a compression test you can bring a battery and jump the starter possibly, like mentioned look over all the fluids look for discolouration on the block that could indicate an overheat issue, usually i like to look around the property/house if it’s clean and organized its usually is a good indicator that they take pride in their equipment. If you’re planning on buying a mercury you can get the vessel view mobile and hook it up to your phone ($400) to buy it so only really worth it if your getting a mercury but it will give you hours any fault codes and a good overall history of the motor but I think the motor needs to be running or Atleast the ignition on. If you can’t see it run it better be super cheap or not worth it in my opinion.
Unfortunately there aren't any controls as they are still installed on the boat that it was taken off of, so starting it up isn't gonna work. The motor didnt have enough power for his liking so he a bought bigger mercury and left controls and cables on the boat that the new motor is on.

Thought about doing a compression test but didn't know if jumping the starter could possibly mess with the computer. I'm used to older 2 strokes haha

you can get the motor to turn over to do a compression test with a battery and jumper cables. Won’t cause any issues. Ground to block and positive to positive starter terminal. Pulling the plugs is also a good indicator. Look for clean combustion. Any signs of rust on the portion of the plug that’s inside the cylinder head means it’s had water in the cylinder. I’ve bought a few motors on pallets no controls or anything and did this to determine if they are good.

Back