Looking For Port Hardy Halibut Tips

Heavyc

I was hoping to solicit some pointers on hali fishing out of Port Hardy. I spent a few days out with Riverboy & we picked up a couple of nice chickens last week. I've since gone back to a straight dogfish show. I tried several spots locals told me to try out front of the airport in hardy. Its either nothing or dogs. I'm not anchoring up, just drifting. I've been using a glow mudraker-esque jig, with salmon belly, herring & smelly jelly.

Is there something I should be doing to prevent dogfish? If I switched to circle hooks & spreader bars? I'm out of salmon bellys, but have some old filets in the freezer I could use. Locals have told me to use herring with octopus or squid.

Any suggestions?

Hard to keep the dogs off. Better to move.
Try Taylor bank, the humps and bumps in the channel between the Gordons and Castle, or the structure southeast of Pine.

backtroll if you can, helps stay over an area and slows your drift.. add some stink.

Never had a big problem with doggies at Hardy... But arrow tooth flounder is another matter. Agree that its sometimes better to move .

Use salmon heads for bait. The dogs have a harder time getting hooked because of the size . A Hali will easily inhale it.

Use salmon heads for bait. The dogs have a harder time getting hooked because of the size . A Hali will easily inhale it.

Sadly most of my salmon heads from this year were too big (#humblebrag) Plus they were either sacrificed for crabs or eagles this year. Next year I'll pull a few pinks off the Keogh for this purpose. I'm guessing heads would be a spreader bar trick?

Yes, that is very true. However, with the over size restriction that would seem to be targeting fish you can't keep. Using salmon heads is kind of looking to attract the big mommas that have to be released.

Sadly most of my salmon heads from this year were too big (#humblebrag) Plus they were either sacrificed for crabs or eagles this year. Next year I'll pull a few pinks off the Keogh for this purpose. I'm guessing heads would be a spreader bar trick?
Ya just cut them in half if they are big. I run them on a spreader bar.

Yes, that is very true. However, with the over size restriction that would seem to be targeting fish you can't keep. Using salmon heads is kind of looking to attract the big mommas that have to be released.
I have picked up quite a few 20 lb to 60lb Hali using salmon heads and I haven't yet had to release a single oversized Hali . I'm not saying you are wrong but I personally have not had a problem yet.

That's nice to know are you using small pink heads, or slicing the heads in half . sorry didn't see your post above about slicing them in half.

You just need me there!;) Cuba Libre the dogs were brutal. This was out in front of the Keogh. I'm assuming they had moved in feeding on salmon carcasses. We had about 20 or so in a couple hors before deciding to move. I've fished there before with no dogs.

We always anchor if we can and still have the same problem with dogs but usually at some point they move on and the halibut bit. Salmon bellies and heads is what we use but I don't think it really matters.

Back