Experience fishing out of Port Hardy or Port McNeill?

FishBear

I was wondering how the Port Hardy or Port McNeill sport fishing expeience compares to the west coast of Vancouver Island? I've fished Nootka Sound and Esperanza but always wondered about the north island.

So, questions about fishing out of Port Hardy/Port McNeill... Highway good all the way? Much fishing pressure in the area... in terms of number of boats? Do you have to run quite a bit to get to the good spots? Decent bottom fishing areas? How are the winds... come up in the afternoon out of the W, NW? Better to fish around Hope and Nigei or the interior (Broughton?) islands east of McNeill?

Looks like a fasinating area and just wanted a little insight on the location and maybe the best time to fish it.

Thanks

highways are good the fishing as good as most places; just a 10 minute run from dock in port hardy to hot spot for chinnook and cohoes; halibut are plentyful at spots a little farther out; mornings are best as west winds are sometimes prevailing in afternoons;

if you go out of macneil always remember maclom in the morning. east side of it the slide, lized and further up if you want call me personally and get a chart and ill chat to you.Guided up there for 16 years
Good luck Wolf

Back