Any tips for Port Alberni to Bamfield trip?

You won't have trouble with river current unless the river is running high and fast and the tide is low. That's when it can be tricky. Try to launch when tide is mid or higher. The river shouldn't be high at that time. You can back out stern upstream with a bit of throttle and then proceed downstream. Have fun. It's beautiful in the sound
Hey everyone,

At the end of this month I'll be launching my boat in Port Alberni and running to Bamfield for a few days. I'm hoping to get some pointers on things to keep in mind/look out for during the jet down the inlet. I've heard logs are quite frequent, and that the chop can be pretty extreme sometimes.
Any tips for getting over there as quickly/safely as possible are appreciated! I have a 25 foot closed cabin Bertram.

Thanks in advance!
Matthias
Not much to add to what the others have said. I’ve done the run many times in a 16.5’ campion centre console and never had any issues. Keep eyes peeled, enjoy the scenery and good luck!
I’ve had an ebb tide mixed with a strong inflow wind down Trevor channel a couple of times, leading to some snotty swell and wind chop near Tzartus.
Go easy and all will be fine!

I had to rip out this week in strong inflows in the evening, the water conditions aren’t the concerning part, especially in a big Bertram, the problem is not being able to see the logs due to wind waves and especially bad with the sun in your eyes.

I had to rip out this week in strong inflows in the evening, the water conditions aren’t the concerning part, especially in a big Bertram, the problem is not being able to see the logs due to wind waves and especially bad with the sun in your eyes.

100%%
I marked this beast last week at Pocahontas Pt. heading out, not easy when alone in the wind.
I didnt see it coming in the next day, stake fell off or do these get salvaged ?

Attachments

• 20210708_175151.jpg
    20210708_175151.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 169
  • 20210708_175152.jpg
    20210708_175152.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 159
100%%
I marked this beast last week at Pocahontas Pt. heading out, not easy when alone in the wind.
I didnt see it coming in the next day, stake fell off or do these get salvaged ?
There is a salvager or two in the inlet. The problem with wood that sits vertical in the water is it’s usually ****** quality wood( not cedar or fir) so it’s almost not worth dealing with it.

What's the protocol around nets? Last year we didn't see any. And the boat lauch was a piece of cake. Now I'm all nervous.......

What's the protocol around nets? Last year we didn't see any. And the boat lauch was a piece of cake. Now I'm all nervous.......
You stop and wait for them to pull their net over to the shallow side. It doesn't take them long to get out of the way.

Best to look for commercial opening other then that the only other gillnetter out there will be the test boat.

see the boat working, slow down. at the end of their corkline there will be an orange ball. (usually orange or white). sometimes you have to weave through them so be carefull. or get a jet boat and rip right over. lol

Thought I would follow up with my experiences for anyone that may read this later on. The 625 our of horseshoe Bay had me at the launch by 930. River was slow and getting out of the launch was no problem. I could feel the wind as soon as I got out of the truck. We were underway at 10 and into tight 2 footers. Eased off a couple miles past Nahmint. We left Bamfield around 10 on the way back and it was smooth sailing the whole way. Guess we got unlucky with early wind going out. Definitely saw some lumber in the canal. Have to be on the lookout.

Thanks for all the advice guys! Cheers!

Thought I would follow up with my experiences for anyone that may read this later on. The 625 our of horseshoe Bay had me at the launch by 930. River was slow and getting out of the launch was no problem. I could feel the wind as soon as I got out of the truck. We were underway at 10 and into tight 2 footers. Eased off a couple miles past Nahmint. We left Bamfield around 10 on the way back and it was smooth sailing the whole way. Guess we got unlucky with early wind going out. Definitely saw some lumber in the canal. Have to be on the lookout.

Thanks for all the advice guys! Cheers!
Right on, glad to hear that you made it safe and sound. And.....I was wrong. I never thought you'd be on the water in Port by 0930 if you don't land in Nanaimo until 0810. You made great time. I hope you had a great trip and brought home some fish. Cheers :)

Right on, glad to hear that you made it safe and sound. And.....I was wrong. I never thought you'd be on the water in Port by 0930 if you don't land in Nanaimo until 0810. You made great time. I hope you had a great trip and brought home some fish. Cheers :)
Thanks buddy. I was the third guy off the ferry. So yeah, a little lucky. The freezer is topped up for a while.

Back