Loggers Derby

I got up this morning and checked out the Bamfield Cam and wished I could have had my boat ready in time. Looks like a good weekend.

weather, food, people and alchol was OUTSTANDING. Thanks again to Osama and Jodi for being such gracious hosts.
However breaking down, getting towed in by the cops out on the first morning of fishing and spending the rest of the time on the dock with a mechanic working on the boat was not. Hopefully we can do some fishing next year!

Lorne

Last edited by a moderator:
weather, food, people and alchol was OUTSATNDING. Thanks again to Osama and Jodi for being such gracious hosts.
However breaking down, getting towed in by the cops out on the first morning of fishing and spending the rest of the time on the dock with a mechanic working on the boat was not. Hopefully we can do some fishing next year!

Lorne

Thats too bad Lorne! Was it your new boat or the Bayliner? Hope you had a good time at the party anywy? Was there many fish coming to the dock?

Thats too bad Lorne! Was it your new boat or the Bayliner? Hope you had a good time at the party anywy? Was there many fish coming to the dock?

Ians, new boat 22 foot searay, water in the gas (both kicker and main engine wouldnt start after 10mins on sat towed in by the police, then a host of electrical problems.) THe party on friday night was a blast at mills landing, Some of the hardest i laughed in ages. I was too burnt on saturday after getting towed in and everthing i shuter down around 10:30 sat. But Osama's wife and her girlfriends put ona feast of epic preportitions. Not a lot of fish, 20 or something weighed, 24 one the tourney i think.

Lorne

We had a great time this weekend. The weather was great, nice group of anglers, too bad the fishing wasn't the best. I thought I had it rough loosing a cannon ball and and a flasher due to my sounder screwing up for this event, until I saw a blown out leg from a log impact and reading about Lorne's breakdown here. Guess I got off pretty damn good then.
Lost most of my pic's from weekend due to user error, but here are some from the prize draw.

The crowd around the prize tables:
DSC00958.jpg

The duo running the draw:

DSC00959.jpg

And the winner is.................

DSC00962.jpg

Finally Big thanks to those who organised and ran this event. :)

good times, good weather, not so great fishing. Our derby started of with a 16 lber in the box, hooked within the first minute of fishing Saturday a.m....thought this is gonna be great!...not a single hit in the next 10 hrs of trolling around.
Thanks to everyone at Mills Landing for the great hospitality!
The new owners are gonna be great for that place!

Fishing wasnt great but it was an awesome weekend at the Mills Landing. Jeff (Osama ), Jodi and their friends are most friendly bunch of people I've ever met... great people ! and great food !...
I do agree " the new owners at the Mills Landing are gonna be great !... it is a great place to meet great people "

Thanks Osama shown us a great place for halibut Fishing... click on below link for a video clip....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9H7-KTANs0

Great adventure! Fishing sucked, but I guess that's to be expected somewhat with the clearing coldfront after the storm. RK, sorry I didn't get your post on here about the road conditions until Just now or I would have told you they totally sucked. If you came out in the morning I'm sure they were better than when we came out. Took us over 3 1/2 hours to get from PA to the Nook.

Great fun though. Great people good laughs many memories. Definitely do it again next year! Only the next time we're coming up the channel and skipping the road. Got a ton of pics, will post a bit later after I down load.

Winning fish was 24# 4 Oz. from what the caretakers said. Only about 12 fish weighed in though. Did anyone do well for numbers, or did everyone stop weighing their catch once they knew they had to beat the 24?

Gotta say the crabbing and prawning was fantastic there though. Will definitely be back. Hope to see some more of you then.

Great to meet you there as well Felix.

Salmon fishing for the derby seemed pretty slow, weather was great on the derby days. Getting there was a bit of an adventure between the wind and snow on Friday. I hope to return again next year.

We had a tough derby, one lost at the boat and that was all the action we had...! The size of the winner was pretty impressive. Though fishing was disappointing, I can't wait to get back out there!

Although the fishing left something to be desired, the hospitality at Mills Landing was better then excellent. The new owners are people persons and the service they provide was excellent. Thanks to Obama and Jodi for the excellent food preparation and the get together they put on Sat. night. Most definitely will be back up this spring for some hali fishing with Obama.

Most definitely will be back up this spring for some hali fishing with Obama.

I hope you mean OSAMA Joe!!!

Here is my recap for the weekend.

Hard fishing for salmon for most everyone. Some decent fish caught, but not many. My group started at Kirby Point on Saturday am, made a couple passes for nada. Didn't see anything happening so kept heading towards the surf line.

Once there, decided maybe halibut would be more productive so I headed out deep to my favorite summer hole. An hour into it we have a take. Set the hook and OH MY!!

The next hour saw 3 of my crew handing the rod back and forth to one another. I was doing the dance of joy as I figured the first hali of the year and it's gonna be good...

Finally up to the top - a 150-200lb six gill shark! Got him in the eye with one of the trebles! Some video footage taken and I cut the leader.

Tide was starting to rip again and everyone was played out! Reports from the salmon grounds were still horrid so we abandoned the boat for the fire pit.

Big shaker up at my place on the Saturday, thanks to all for coming and making it so fun again. This event changes every year, but the common denominator is definitley the people. Thanks to the wife, Wendy and Sheldon for their help on that end.

Sunday morning... ooohh that hurt.

Out for halis by the crack of 10. Dropped the anchor and gear and breakfast all at the same time...

I curled up in the cuddy to wait it out while the guys fished. More and more breakfasts started arriving on the water... hali on - about 25lbs and buddy trys to lift it into boat by leader... I'm on other side chumming. That fish obviously gets away. Crawl back under cuddy. Everyone says lets quit.

Don't have to twist my arm!! Never been so happy to leave fishless before tide change in my life!!!!

That's a wrap for this year. Love this derby.

Thanks again everyone that came. Great to make a few new freinds!

Jeff

Sorry for the miss spell Osama but comparing you to Obama is a compliment in my book. Wife sends her thanks also.

Ha ha ha........too funny Jeff. Sounds like a hell of a Sunday morning!! :eek:

You gonna throw up some video of the "Jaws" (without the dorsal fin)? ;)

Back