Local Flooding

I think in hindsight sure you could say that but i believe some dikes were overtopped on the US side.

B.C. flood update: Fire at Abbotsford RV dealership complicates flood situation | B.C. government to provide update on situation Wednesday afternoon | 184 Abbotsford residents rescued by air and water in Sumas Prairie​

wasn't the whole prep for the earthquake "big one" the fear that bc would be cut off from the rest of canada. That the military's was suppose to have a capacity to create temporary bridges.

What I don't get is that they said it's happened once before even worse, and almost every year there is an issue with the nooksack and the drainage. Apparently there needs to be alot of geo engineering and money invested from both federal us and Canada. Can't put a price on lives of people.

If your in a management position, and you know that there is something that needs to be resolved and everyday your taking a risk and you let it go. Then one day someone gets hurt or killed. Is that not on you?

Doesn't this happen every 30 years or so? Happened in the 90's and in 1948. The photos from the 90's look identical to the aerial photos now. The 1948 one was deeper flooding judging by the photos. Need bigger flood basins so maybe expand the Vedder Canal?

I think Merritt flooded the same way just a few years ago?

This is the way she goes now. If it was just flooding, it wouldn't be as terrible of a disaster. But this year is mixed in with destroyed highways, bridges, and railways.

5YfeyqI.jpeg

Those farmers are in a tough spot- people criticise anyone who raises animals accusing them of exploitation & abuse now they're told to 'just let brute animals drown' is it any wonder they continue to try & protect their livelihood and not bother listening to noise?

I heard on the news this morning that people trying to get home to or from the lower mainland can use the route through Washington state but it is about 8 hours but those traveling to get home will be exempt from the covid protocol at the border. But is there really a route through Washington? They were hammered too...
Who carries their Passport with them travelling around BC? Need it to cross the borders.

Doesn't this happen every 30 years or so? Happened in the 90's and in 1948. The photos from the 90's look identical to the aerial photos now. The 1948 one was deeper flooding judging by the photos. Need bigger flood basins so maybe expand the Vedder Canal?

This is the way she goes now. If it was just flooding, it wouldn't be as terrible of a disaster. But this year is mixed in with destroyed highways, bridges, and railways.

apparently there was an international task force for the nooksack flooding but them haven't met for years

19 times in 67 years.
To expensive to fix, they said.

This is all Man’s fault by not building the infrastructure to meet the known problems with historical weather.

It does show how bad it will be if there is an earthquake and how unprepared we are for it.

Is it possible we might learn from this? History says no.

Last edited by a moderator:
a bit late to the party but I’ve been busy trying to get things back in order with my house and property as I live on the Colquitz River. Lived here 20 yrs and 2007 was the highest I’ve had to deal with unit Monday. Somehow my sump pumps kept the water from destroying my home, I had to grab the cat and evacuate at 5am and couldn’t get back in until 3:30 to assess the damage. Now because it’s a fishing forum on Tuesday as the water was still trying to find its way back into the creek I spotted something on the road. I’m guessing this guy came out of Elk/Beaver lake and I got him back into the creek and am guessing some kind of Bass? My rd was too deep for my hip waders, the house is on higher ground but still 8 inches deep against it.

Attachments

• 1F962E77-7B2E-4565-B240-57461CDF22A9.png
    1F962E77-7B2E-4565-B240-57461CDF22A9.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 129
  • 06B58A39-7C67-4134-BF29-BADC0A7BF9F7.jpeg
    06B58A39-7C67-4134-BF29-BADC0A7BF9F7.jpeg
    430.4 KB · Views: 128
To make matters worse, radio stations are irresponsibly reporting fuel shortages causing panic buying.
Gas stations are jammed.
Yea, one of my buddies called me from a long line-up at a gas station here in Victoria where he was waiting for fuel. I am not going to worry about it. I have two vehicles here with some gas in them and if there was an actual shortage over time rather than some silly panic buying, I could go over and get some gas out of the big Silverado which is in storage and has a huge fuel tank. I would guess there is also 50 or 60 gals in the boat tank, so I am good. Most likely, this will just blow over. The guys who have at least one vehicle that is all electric probably have a smile on their face about now.

To make matters worse, radio stations are irresponsibly reporting fuel shortages causing panic buying.
Gas stations are jammed.
I heard that Victoria is out of fuel. So it might be true.
19 times in 67 years.
To expensive to fix, they said.

This is all Man’s fault by not building the infrastructure to meet the known problems with historical weather.

It does show how bad it will be if there is an earthquake and how unprepared we are for it.

Is it possible we might learn from this? History says no.
It shows you how close we are to absolute chaos at any given time....

Back