Dead boats to be removed

The non-profit that did the work in the Alouette is the Dead Boats Disposal Society (I provided a link above).

They are the ones that were lobbying for the grant from the Feds for Alouette cleanup. They try to get money from private individuals, Province, Feds, etc.

I doubt the government has any dedicated resources to do cleanup work like this - they would just sub it out to the private sector, or fund a non-profit with a grant. Same as Stream Keepers, Nature Conservancy, etc.

The non-profit that did the work in the Alouette is the Dead Boats Disposal Society (I provided a link above).

They are the ones that were lobbying for the grant from the Feds for Alouette cleanup. They try to get money from private individuals, Province, Feds, etc.

I doubt the government has any dedicated resources to do cleanup work like this - they would just sub it out to the private sector, or fund a non-profit with a grant. Same as Stream Keepers, Nature Conservancy, etc.
I like this idea but have a government agency tag these boats for removal, then fund someone to go in and clean it up quickly. That way any arguing is done with the bureaucrats.

I think the principal of 'polluter pays' is important to maintain. However, I definitely disagree with the approach that the 'polluter has to pay before anything happens' - which is the current approach.

We should have a general marine cleanup budget, and a separate enforcement division that investigates/fines polluters. Ideally the revenue from the enforcement branch should fully fund the cleanup branch - but frankly as a taxpayer I'm fine if the math doesn't always pencil out. Just keep the cleanup rolling.

Back