Local Flooding

After the long-term tropical system Monsoon rain in Victoria yesterday, I went out in the extreme high winds that followed, and they were almost blowing me over. We were joking that the home decks should have been better designed for self-bailing like a boat. Went to Walmart, and they had guys at the front door telling everyone "cash only" because their systems were down from issues elsewhere. It may be a good idea to carry a few hundred in cash this time of year as you don't know when you may need it for gas or food.

Last edited:
As someone already mentioned, this was no effing joke. Add to this the ongoing supply chain issues, rising inflation, our depressed tourism sector and the long wildfire season and you can see how 2021 is going to wrap up. Hold on to your wallets folks. 2022 is going to be super bumpy.
The Bank of Canada has been characterising the 2021 inflation as "transitory", but the stack of factors contributing to it keeps getting higher. Our economy has become so dependent on inexpensive long distance transport that even minor disruptions have far reaching effects. That low cost transport has been built on decades of cheap fuels, albeit with a few short term price hiccups along the way. We are only at the very beginning of the transition away from fossil fuels, so you'd think that change to such a key underpinning of the economy is going to be the granddaddy of all disruptions.

I haven’t heard of any major highway damage in the US so maybe all the containers will be crossing the border and heading north at osoyoos
Or they keep going on the interstate system for destinations in eastern and central Canada. That happens a fair bit already for reasons of diesel price and better highways. Not sure it plays out with the covid border implications, and of course those are a moving target anyway.

But that detour south to I-90 and back across the border at Yakh for Calgary bound trucks adds 400 km and 5 hours. Edmonton would be 500 km/6 hours longer than normal. Gets us by for a few days, but huge added cost to the economy if the Coq is out for 6-8 months as seems likely.

I haven’t heard of any major highway damage in the US so maybe all the containers will be crossing the border and heading north at osoyoos

We will need a lot of help and concessions from our American Cousins to get that road plan working.

The issue of the damage to the rail lines

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bc-floods-rail-impact-1.6250554

is of even greater concern as so many of the container ships load to rail.

We are all aware of the backlog in west coast container ports and this just increases the magnitude of the problem.

Strategically, this year has torn back the veil of infrastructure inadequacies that are imbedded in Canada.

Like the US Canada needs a national infrastructure plan that deals with the most strategically important from a National Perspective , rather than making this a politically biased program.

These recent events may drive a short term bump in the inflation rate.

We will need a lot of help and concessions from our American Cousins to get that road plan working.

The issue of the damage to the rail lines

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bc-floods-rail-impact-1.6250554

is of even greater concern as so many of the container ships load to rail.

We are all aware of the backlog in west coast container ports and this just increases the magnitude of the problem.

Strategically, this year has torn back the veil of infrastructure inadequacies that are imbedded in Canada.

Like the US Canada needs a national infrastructure plan that deals with the most strategically important from a National Perspective , rather than making this a politically biased program.

These recent events may drive a short term bump in the inflation rate.
I don't see that grade of leadership in any of the three major political parties. We'll have to learn and adjust to the new realities through a painful process, unfortunately. Just talked to a guy who's a safety manager at one of the major rail companies and they're foreseeing major delays in reconnecting us to the national network. Impact assessment can only be done once the water levels drop and there's no ETA for that atm.

Politicians only work on a 4 year horizon so long term planning just doesn't happen anymore. Look at the long overdue upgrades to hwy 1 to chilliwack/hope. If they were really planning they would not be going 3 lanes to just catch up to todays traffic, they would be going 4 lanes to make the road good for the next 30+ years.
We are where we are because we are always putting band aids on the worse cuts and putting off the rest till a later day.

Some pictures from BC Transportation flyover

Some pictures from BC Transportation flyover

Man looks like those piles did their job on that train Bridge thankfully.

The port and rail line in and out of Rupert is going to get busy now

I just got back from Victoria last week all I sure hope everyone is safe. My heart is going out to everyone down there. My moms cousin and her daughter got Heli lifted yesterday off the Coq and are now trying to save their dairy farm in Abbotsford.

Bodies pulled from landslide​

Fatalities reported in mudslide north of Pemberton​

monday-november-15-mudslide-duffey-lake-road-highway-99-between-pemberton-lillooet-bc-floods._p3561864.jpg

Multiple people are dead after a mudslide swept over the Duffey Lake Road section of Highway 99 north of Pemberton on Monday morning, Nov 15.

with Abbotsford under water there is going to be a huge boom bass fishing all over the lower mainland over the next 5-10 years

Borrowed from another site log debris in the Fraser off of tilbury

Attachments

• A2BAA154-4C28-4BF6-9C36-924B7BE5AD81.jpeg
    A2BAA154-4C28-4BF6-9C36-924B7BE5AD81.jpeg
    121.4 KB · Views: 109

The pumps are expected to fail today with rising water. This will result in the Fraser breaching the dike. It is expected the water level on the Sumas prarrie will be 10ft deep. People are being told to get out NOW! If you know people in the area please check in on them as this warning was issued overnight and they may not know.

I heard on the news this morning that people trying to get home to or from the lower mainland can use the route through Washington state but it is about 8 hours but those traveling to get home will be exempt from the covid protocol at the border. But is there really a route through Washington? They were hammered too...

South of Abbotsford (Hwy 9) is closed, but Interstate 5 and the mountain passes are open for now, so one could travel from anywhere to/from the Lower Mainland, unless you or the destination are stuck between slides/floods = Hope, Chilliwack, etc. If you drag the blue line in this google page, closures will show. Or canoe.

Screenshot (14).png

Back