Live bait set-up for lingcod

Ghostprof

Talked to someone the other day who said they use greenlings or small rockfish as live bait for the really big lings, and I'm interested in trying. He said he hooks the live fish up to a 2 lb. jig head and drops it down. I'm assuming the drop is to the bottom then back up a couple of turns, but where does the hook go? Mouth? Dorsal fin? Both?

Thanks for any info.

Talked to someone the other day who said they use greenlings or small rockfish as live bait for the really big lings, and I'm interested in trying. He said he hooks the live fish up to a 2 lb. jig head and drops it down. I'm assuming the drop is to the bottom then back up a couple of turns, but where does the hook go? Mouth? Dorsal fin? Both?

Thanks for any info.
In the yap for the lead head. Run a big treble as a stinger in the tail/dorsal area. Big Lings are usually big breeders and ain’t very good eating IMO. Best to let them go. Love me a nice 10-15lber.

The few bigger ones I've ever caught were not even hooked. They seem very good at avoiding hooks but very stubborn about letting go of whatever they caught. Net/gaff them before they know the gig is up. Don't lift their head out of the water.

Treble in the top lip or nose if it’s a herring which also work great. Use a banana weight sized to depth and current and 6-7’ leader drop down slow so you don’t tangle for lings to the bottom then up a couple feet..

Live bait is legal. And you can use greenling or rock fish. they just count towards your daily total
Herring as a baitfish is legal. but the other half of your statement…i’m gonna need to see the regs for that; as that is the polar opposite from what i’ve read or been told.

there was even some talk a while back about using edible fish pieces in crab traps as being illegal?

Herring as a baitfish is legal. but the other half of your statement…i’m gonna need to see the regs for that; as that is the polar opposite from what i’ve read or been told.

there was even some talk a while back about using edible fish pieces in crab traps as being illegal?
You may be right it depends on the definition of letting food fish go to waste. If you caught a small greenling that is to small to eat then are you wasting food? And you can always try small flounders as well.
"

Use of fish for bait​

When sport fishing, you may not waste any fish suitable for human consumption. However, you are allowed to use fish offal, herring, mackerel, northern anchovy and Pacific sardine as bait when fishing with traps."
Off the DFO site
It doesn't mention squid, and that's a popular live bait as well and says for traps not for hook and line? So it's a open question

Quite a few years back I got in touch with DFO enforcement about the use of live pink salmon as halibut bait. I was told then that it’s OK as long as they count towards your daily bag limit of salmon and that you don’t have more than your daily bag limit including whatever you’ve got swimming around on the bottom in possession.

Quite a few years back I got in touch with DFO enforcement about the use of live pink salmon as halibut bait. I was told then that it’s OK as long as they count towards your daily bag limit of salmon and that you don’t have more than your daily bag limit including whatever you’ve got swimming around on the bottom in possession.
An excellent use of a “ slime rocket “…

In the yap for the lead head. Run a big treble as a stinger in the tail/dorsal area. Big Lings are usually big breeders and ain’t very good eating IMO. Best to let them go. Love me a nice 10-15lber.
Thanks - it's my sense too that the 10-15# ones are the tastiest. Just tempted by the prospect of hauling up a monster one day.

The few bigger ones I've ever caught were not even hooked. They seem very good at avoiding hooks but very stubborn about letting go of whatever they caught. Net/gaff them before they know the gig is up. Don't lift their head out of the water.
Thanks!

Thanks - it's my sense too that the 10-15# ones are the tastiest. Just tempted by the prospect of hauling up a monster one day.
You don't need live bait to haul up a monster. I caught one over 40lbs two weeks ago on a 4oz delta swim bait. But yeah I see the fun in using livies.

Treble in the top lip or nose if it’s a herring which also work great. Use a banana weight sized to depth and current and 6-7’ leader drop down slow so you don’t tangle for lings to the bottom then up a couple feet..
Thanks for the details!

You don't need live bait to haul up a monster. I caught one over 40lbs two weeks ago on a 4oz delta swim bait. But yeah I see the fun in using livies.
Yeah, I've been using the 6 oz lighthouse swimbaits and doing ok. It was more a curiosity question. It's unlikely I'll have the time or commitment to bother with catching a greenling or rockfish, then hooking it up to float around hoping for a big ling. Just something I was wondering about and might conceivably try one day.

Also, glad to have some clarity on the use of live bait. Thanks everyone for helping out.

Did you keep it? Was it good eating? The largest I've ever gotten were just under 20lbs so I've got no experience with what the big boys are like to eat.

My boat biggest is a…43 on a swimbait. They’ll crush anything. I feel your odds improve of catching biggies using live bait. Dragged up lots of hitch hikers. I’ve eaten some 30’s myself and honestly, just wasn’t good. Too thick. I feel that 8-15 lb range of fish (ling or salmon) is perfect to cook and eat. I don’t catch big fish anyways so it works out perfect.

Back