Lingcod, Rockfish rod reel?

merrittboy1

Am starting to get into lingcod, rockfish more so was wondering what a reasonably priced rod, reel combo is. Let me know what you use. Thanks.

I picked up a penn warfare combo at stevsom marine for around 250 last spring. Landed a bunch of lings and rockfish this summer with it. Even a couple small halibut.

Loved it.

Am starting to get into lingcod, rockfish more so was wondering what a reasonably priced rod, reel combo is. Let me know what you use. Thanks.
Check out the Penn squalls. 20&30 size lever drag. Then look for a medium heavy rod 6-7’ long. Any shops near you ? Black Friday is coming up.

Check out the Penn squalls. 20&30 size lever drag. Then look for a medium heavy rod 6-7’ long. Any shops near you ? Black Friday is coming up.
Just get the 20. 30 is too big. I have both and never use the 30. But I mostly use my MR2s

We just use our mooching/trolling rods. Medium action with a variety of single action reels (Trophy, Amundson, Peetz, Hardy, etc). They suit our needs to about 100' or so. If we wanted to try out some new spots that were deeper and if we wanted to run heavier jigs we would just use our hali rods. However, our most productive ling fishing has been in 65'-100' and our trolling rods work just fine.

We love collecting gear but you can only store so much on the boat. Good luck with whatever rods you end up going with.

Just get the 20. 30 is too big. I have both and never use the 30. But I mostly use my MR2s
Agreed. My warfare 20 just lives on the boat. I can fish salmon, bottom fish or halibut as needed. If i wanted dedicated hali gear it would be one step heavier. Jigs awesome, much better than a mooching rod (they work...but its just not the same)

My son and a buddy have squalls. I tried one, like it. Have a 330 GTI that is like for halibut.

The squall lever drag comes in a 30 as a the smallest. The 20 is the level wind and uses a star drag. Similar but different. Just looked at both in my garage and they're nearly the same size. Love them both for jigging. I Put some 50lbs brain on my 20 for the added capacity. The right rod is more important. I've tried the combos with the 330's and found them too heavy of rod. Doesn't sound like much but it definitely is a big difference. Check out the admunson sumo savy rods. Love mine. Run a MH trevala 6'6 on the other side and it's a bit too flimsy for my liking. I prefer something with a bit more slower action/stiffer tip.

The squall lever drag comes in a 30 as a the smallest. The 20 is the level wind and uses a star drag. Similar but different. Just looked at both in my garage and they're nearly the same size. Love them both for jigging. I Put some 50lbs brain on my 20 for the added capacity. The right rod is more important. I've tried the combos with the 330's and found them too heavy of rod. Doesn't sound like much but it definitely is a big difference. Check out the admunson sumo savy rods. Love mine. Run a MH trevala 6'6 on the other side and it's a bit too flimsy for my liking. I prefer something with a bit more slower action/stiffer tip.
I use a Shimano Trevala halibut rod with my 330gti. Want something a bit lighter for cod, rockfish. Might give the Warfare setup a try. Good price. Not using it everyday.

I have been using the 13 Concept A3 bait casting reel on lighter rods for Lings. Amazing fun on lighter gear, and the lightness makes jigging really easy. When you get one on the line its a blast. Way better action and sport on light gear as compared to when I used heavier stuff. You might find the 13 Concept reels at local tackle store for better deal.

I picked up a "light jigging" setup for lings and salmon this year. I went with a medium action Trevala PX and a Daiwa BG 4500 spinning reel spooled with 40 lb Depth Hunter Power Pro. I wanted a spinning reel on the boat as we have dedicated heavier action rods and Accurate / Avet reels for halibut.

I had a blast on the new setup catching lings, several up around 20 lbs. You don't need a big heavy rod for lings. I’m hoping to catch a decent size halibut next, the combo could definitely handle it.

I have been using the 13 Concept A3 bait casting reel on lighter rods for Lings. Amazing fun on lighter gear, and the lightness makes jigging really easy. When you get one on the line its a blast. Way better action and sport on light gear as compared to when I used heavier stuff. You might find the 13 Concept reels at local tackle store for better deal.

Have to agree.. been running Med trevla's and either Okuma Komodo SS reels or the above reel... for 4 years now and you can not beat it... the gear is on the lighter side so one must adjust the jiggs that you use

Trevala MH with an Abu Ambassadeur C4 6500 loaded with Depth Hunter 40 lb is my jigging setup. Rod is rated for lure weights to 240 g (8.5 oz) but it is deceptively light in your hands. Jigged up a good number of springs and lings with this rig. Not really entry level priced with rod and reel around $180-200 each, but so much more comfortable to use than a stiff thick pool cue type rod and a heavy reel like a Penn 330. Even slow jigging is still tiring over a period of hours, the heavier setups magnify that, not to mention they lack the lively feel when playing a good fish.

Might cost more up front for a lighter setup, but it's cheaper than buying cheap heavy gear first and then upgrading later.

Have to agree.. been running Med trevla's and either Okuma Komodo SS reels or the above reel... for 4 years now and you can not beat it... the gear is on the lighter side so one must adjust the jiggs that you use
Yeah, limited out on Lings with those reels with some guide out of Bamfield!!:D

Love the light gear....even more fun when a hali climbs on... biggest to date is a 43lber on the light gear ask "Drink" he got that one :)

Love the light gear....even more fun when a hali climbs on... biggest to date is a 43lber on the light gear ask "Drink" he got that one :)
starting to feel I can re purpose some of my rigg'n. Blow'n up allot of different bass reels over the years. maybe my boy and I will do a torutre test on some of our survivor reels.

Back