Lingcod, Rockfish rod reel?

The redesigned Torium 14 from Shimano would be ideal, so much lighter and smaller than the first gen version. Again though, at $300+, not entry level hardware. But durable, would likely last a lifetime if maintained reasonably.

The small round body reels fit so nicely in the hand when jigging. Ergonomics definitely come into play with this active style of fishing. There's a case to be made for going with a lighter reel, trading metal parts for plastic, durability for weight savings.

We just use our mooching/trolling rods. Medium action with a variety of single action reels (Trophy, Amundson, Peetz, Hardy, etc). They suit our needs to about 100' or so. If we wanted to try out some new spots that were deeper and if we wanted to run heavier jigs we would just use our hali rods. However, our most productive ling fishing has been in 65'-100' and our trolling rods work just fine.

We love collecting gear but you can only store so much on the boat. Good luck with whatever rods you end up going with.
Yes, but the light weight rods and line can only handle so much before risking breaking them... and you never know when you might hook into a hali/ling even at shallow depths - just check out my story on Pg 30 of this month's Island Fisherman magazine...

Yes, but the light weight rods and line can only handle so much before risking breaking them... and you never know when you might hook into a hali/ling even at shallow depths - just check out my story on Pg 30 of this month's Island Fisherman magazine...
Shameless ;).

But seriously I'll go look now.

I use Penn Battle iii 4000 with either med/heavy or med action rod and its pile fun catching lings and rocks

Back