Ling Jigs - Power Paddle/ Megabite

Well the 40lb worked just fine. First family fishing trip all together and our first one in the boat was as tall as our 2 and a half year old! 36" :)

150-200 lb mono with a 3 ft leader. Lings and Hali are not leader shy. Easy to hand bomb borderline fish into the boat, doesn't cut your hands when you do so and holds up to the wear/tear of banging against rocks all day.
I'm curious what happens when you get stuck on bottom? Just keep reefing on it until the swivel snaps.

I'm just asking because the area we are fishing has a very strong current and seems to move you more than 100ft a minute. Last time I got stuck there we had to drive the boat quickly up current and lost a bunch of line. I'm hoping for an easier release if we catch bottom.

So...About the ling cod jigging... Have now tried the mega bites and the assist hooks. Both work well.
The assist hooks get caught up easier but I have had a few fish on that hook that would have missed the other. So good and bad.
Bigger bait and deeper water seems to produce bigger fish also.

I made some assist hook using heavy dacron and some 8/0 Gammi's. Tried them in Hardy in June. Caught 50% of our fish on the assist
They definitely work.

I have been really liking the new octopus from Gibbs Delta. Great on spreader bar or put your own jighead in. Allows you to use different weights for different fishing depths. They have held up well over multiple fish so far and much less expensive when you are not paying for the jig head every time (I have quite the collection from fishing swim baits over the years). Untitled copy.png

Back