Kicker recommendation for 1993 21' Hourston cuddy

MiddlepointBight

Looking to install a kicker on a 1993 21' Hourston Glascraft cuddy - primarily for fishing. The main outboard is a 175hp HPDI Yamaha on a pod - custom build by Bill Hourston back in the day. I will attach a few pictures showing transom and where the kicker would go (port side, opposite swim grid). Yes, the trim tabs are huge :D.

Trying to decide between the following:

1. 20" 8hp Yamaha (slightly older model preferred, as they have elec start option)
2. 25" 9.9hp Yamaha (potentially with power tilt and elec start)

Would I be better off with a 25" vs. 20" shaft?
Also, what is everyone's experience with the electric start option? Is it reliable?
Finally, for kickers of this size, is power tilt a necessity?

My other fishing boat up the Sunshine Coast runs a 6hp short shaft kicker on a tilt bracket (manual start). I can heave it up OK, with a few F-bombs...

Thanks in advance for the help,
Colin

You'll want an 25" leg for sure and be sure to add an Adventure Marine (or other) prop guard. You can manage without power tilt but you need the Yamaha 703 control box for remote. I have a 2015 Yamaha 9.9, remote control, XL leg (it started life as a long leg and was converted to XL when the marina destroyed the lower end and had Neff Marine replace it with a brand new lower end) that I am fairly sure I am going to sell....anyway when mine was converted to 25" all the world's problems were solved. You'll want 25" for sure.

You'll want an 25" leg for sure and be sure to add an Adventure Marine (or other) prop guard. You can manage without power tilt but you need the Yamaha 703 control box for remote. I have a 2015 Yamaha 9.9, remote control, XL leg (it started life as a long leg and was converted to XL when the marina destroyed the lower end and had Neff Marine replace it with a brand new lower end) that I am fairly sure I am going to sell....anyway when mine was converted to 25" all the world's problems were solved. You'll want 25" for sure.

Good to know re: 25"... I was toying with the idea of getting a 20" and setting her on a lift bracket
Is you 9.9 an electric start? I am always hesitant to add more electrical reliance on my boats, but if it's reliable, it might outlast my shoulder/back

Unless you want the ****** yamaha remote controls, just go for an XL 9.9 HT, Power Tilt, Electric Start, Tiller and tie it to the main with a quick connect. All you'll touch is the throttle on occasion. I have had zero issues in any way with my Yamaha 9.9 other than the gong induced by the marina when they were moving the boat around the yard. I am the original owner, these things run like appliances. Yes mine is all "remote control, electric start".

Nice boat, by the way. I have gigantic trim tabs too, and I like them.

Unless you want the ****** yamaha remote controls, just go for an XL 9.9 HT, Power Tilt, Electric Start, Tiller and tie it to the main with a quick connect. All you'll touch is the throttle on occasion. I have had zero issues in any way with my Yamaha 9.9 other than the gong induced by the marina when they were moving the boat around the yard. I am the original owner, these things run like appliances. Yes mine is all "remote control, electric start".

Nice boat, by the way. I have gigantic trim tabs too, and I like them.

Gotcha.
Yep, she's a beauty. Thanks.

A quick connect would tie into a main engine hydraulic steering setup OK?
Do you disconnect the quick connect when kicker is up and you're getting from A-B?
What does the remote control operate?

I am used to primitive "no bells or whistles" 2 strokes haha.

You're correct; the quick connect would just tie off the end of your main's steering ram and disconnect under way. The remote controls simply provide a key start and throttle.

Good to know re: 25"... I was toying with the idea of getting a 20" and setting her on a lift bracket
Is you 9.9 an electric start? I am always hesitant to add more electrical reliance on my boats, but if it's reliable, it might outlast my shoulder/back
Sick upgrade!

I’d go with 25” with electric start and power tilt. Our electric start still has an option to wind a pull cord on top with the hood off in case of an electrical failure and you’ll love the power tilt. No more leaning over the back in rough seas hoping you don’t end up in the water.

I’d go with 25” with electric start and power tilt. Our electric start still has an option to wind a pull cord on top with the hood off in case of an electrical failure and you’ll love the power tilt. No more leaning over the back in rough seas hoping you don’t end up in the water.

Nice. Thanks for that.

Now the decision to setup steering with a tie bar set up or an independent electric remote, even could go wire less with fob I guess

Tohatsu, 9.9 EFI. Never worry about a carb. Electric start and tilt. Upgraded to this from non electric tilt carb model. So nice to push a button instead of trying to get back to the engine and “get it up”. Especially with rougher water and newbies on board. And run the hydraulics to the kicker for steering. Make you fishing time more enjoyable!!!
Hb

Whatever brand you go for get the longer leg, power tilt and start. The solid none moving kicker bracket is the way to mount it. Lifting a bracket is a pain as they all stiffen up or get sloppy over time. I would go for more HP if you fish in stronger tides or windy conditions at times...the smaller power have to work to hard to keep you at the right speed.

Back