Liberal MPs Reject Study of Fishery Closure Impacts in British Columbia

So after spamming this vote and calling the liberals out over social media everywhere I did finally elicited a response. I’m not sure who they were in contact with but they do claim they have contacted us???

I don’t just sit on these forums and complain I have been out their calling them up and showing people their bs. I have a few contacts from high school who are very politically involved with the liberals, and they were shocked to find out about this vote. It may have been a bit of a stunt by the conservatives but I think it may have woke the liberals up a bit too.

“Ken Hardie - MP, Fleetwood-Port Kells

The Conservative motion was a game they were playing...they knew there was too little time left on our meeting schedule to actually hold the meetings they proposed...and there was NO way our committee was going to be given approval to travel to the Coast. It was, sadly, all for political show but that's how they roll sometimes.

So instead, our office organized a conference call with representatives of the affected fisheries and have delivered the comments and recommendations to the Fisheries Minister.”

Last edited:
... So instead, our office organized a conference call with representatives of the affected fisheries and have delivered the comments and recommendations to the Fisheries Minister.”

No-one contacted Areea G nor Area F as far as can be determined.
More Bull$hit??

Wondering...
Nog

There was at least one member of the standing committee that made the effort to come out to the coast. MP Blaine Calkins conducted town hall meetings in Campbell River,
Parksville, (unconfirmed) and Victoria (unconfirmed). He put on a good presentation here in C.R. I am super conflicted about the election. The Cons cut a lot of funding from D.F.O. The libs have restored a lot of it, BUT, their focus seems to be on SRKW's Unicorns and Rainbows. I don't think they give a Flying F#ck about recreational fishing, it doesn't buy them many votes.

There was at least one member of the standing committee that made the effort to come out to the coast. MP Blaine Calkins conducted town hall meetings in Campbell River,
Parksville, (unconfirmed) and Victoria (unconfirmed). He put on a good presentation here in C.R. I am super conflicted about the election. The Cons cut a lot of funding from D.F.O. The libs have restored a lot of it, BUT, their focus seems to be on SRKW's Unicorns and Rainbows. I don't think they give a Flying F#ck about recreational fishing, it doesn't buy them many votes.
Most of the liberal funding went into the new oceans protection department( closing areas to everyone) and the newly announced reconciliation branch( I think you can see how that’s playing out). How exactly did any of the money help either the recreational or commercial sectors. This election for me is a no brainer. Red has to go!!

This motion was put forward again, on February 25th and kicked down the road to February 27th. On the 27th the motion was past after including a number of amendments including adding indigenous and commercial business to the study.

They start talking about the Chinook closures and its impact at the 9.36 mark

https://parlvu.parl.gc.ca/Harmony/e...200225/-1/32763?Language=English&Stream=Video

Thursday 9.25 mark , vote at 9.38 mark

https://parlvu.parl.gc.ca/Harmony/e...200227/-1/32782?Language=English&Stream=Video

Good to see, although doesn't do us much good for 2020 season, I'm sure it will have some sobering results for when making decisions for 2021

I contacted Hardie and asked him why the Liberals blocked an economic survey from being done and showed him this vote, he denied it, saying Liberals didn’t block anything

I no longer have any confidence in this government. They’re playing political games with people’s livelihoods here. I don’t trust their numbers. They’re dividing Canadians and pitting groups against one another. I have 30 yrs of fishing in bc. Never have I seen retention of chinook salmon in the Campbell River. Last year after all our closures the Campbell River was open for Chinook retention. For the life of me that logic escapes me. I no longer trust their numbers. I believe they’re using the environment issues to consolidate power. They know their chief rival, The Conservative Party, has no leader and can’t fight them on green issues. So everything they’re doing is focused on creating this exact fight. A fight they believe makes the Liberals stronger. Not Canada,not bc, just The Liberal Party. Trudeau says his plan makes Canada carbon neutral by 2050. Are u kidding me? 2050, your plan to save the world takes 30 years for Canada to be carbon neutral? Wow, you need a new plan. FN Reconciliation? Divisive topic for sure but here’s the thing. Trudeau has this plan whereby they’ll make FN communities self sufficient and share in economic prosperity? How exactly? Well through resources development. There is no other way. But, resources development explodes the carbon footprint. Mini g, pipelines, logging? How exactly are any of these going to help Canada be carbon neutral? This entire episode in Canadian history is a scam. It’s political theatre that’s been orchestrated by the Liberal Machine to become all powerful again. I don’t trust a word coming from Ottawa, not one word. It’s all for their benefit not ours. I don’t trust their Salmon numbers and I don’t trust them to properly look after our interests because they don’t align with theirs. They’ve created fear snd have divided us for their own selfish political advantage. I sincerely hope the Conservatives come up with a quality leader and a reasonable plan to ease the environmental anxiety created by Trudeau.

Back