Liberal MPs Reject Study of Fishery Closure Impacts in British Columbia

The way this reads is that the goverment is suppose to do socio-economic impact study anytime they make changes to regulations. Does area and time closures fall under that?? Or are they referring to changes in law such as the Fisheries act, Anytime parliament changes the act they need to do a social-economic study? If the later is the case then I would say the SRKW changes they would've needed to do one but not necessarily the Chinook area and time closures for early run chinook. Seems it may be up for some interpretation.

"Regulation
A rule of order having the force of law, prescribed by a superior or competent authority, relating to the actions of those underthe authority's control."

https://www.ourcommons.ca/DocumentViewer/en/42-1/FOPO/meeting-147/evidence

Mr. Blaine Calkins:
I would agree, because the RCMP has broad, sweeping ex-officio status throughout Canadian legislation, and I'm pretty sure that CBSA has the same. I just wanted to get verification. I'm not expecting this to be a hiccup; I just wanted clarification.C-68 is government legislation, although it's being amended in the Senate, but Bill S-238 is a private member's bill. Does the department do a socio-economic impact assessment as a matter of process any time a piece of legislation is put before the House that would affect any of the fisheries or anybody in the jurisdiction of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans? If so, was one done for Bill S-238?
Mr. Paul Gillis:
It's a private member's bill, so no. Typically there is not a socio-economic impact assessment.
Mr. Blaine Calkins:
If it's something that's driven by the government—for example, the recent changes to chinook fisheries on the west coast—was a socio-economic impact assessment done for that?
Mr. Paul Gillis:
Yes, socio-economic impacts would be done on other regulations.
Mr. Blaine Calkins:
They would be done on other changes.
Mr. Paul Gillis:
They would be done on regulations that are introduced, yes.
Mr. Blaine Calkins:
All right. Thank you.The Chair: Okay, you've heard the motion.Mr. Blaine Calkins: I'm of the opinion, or have been told, that there are printing issues and that we can't get paper copies.
Mr. Colin Fraser:
Just so I understand, my understanding—and I could be wrong—is that to move a motion, it would have to be related to the topic that we are here to discuss today. Otherwise it could be considered a notice of that motion, which requires 48 hours' notice. Am I correct?Mr. Blaine Calkins: No, I'm actually moving the motion, because we're talking about fisheries and socio-economic impacts of fisheries. My motion is specifically about socio-economic impacts, and I'm hoping that it will be accepted by the chair.
Mr. Colin Fraser:
I would suggest, Mr. Chair, that the motion is outside the scope of Bill S-238 for today. Therefore, I would suggest that it be considered a notice of that motion, which requires 48 hours.
The Chair:
It is outside of Bill S-238, but it did come up in conversation with the witnesses.
Mr. Colin Fraser:
Was that on chinook salmon?
The Chair:
It was the socio-economic impact of....
Mr. Colin Fraser:
We're here to talk about shark finning, Mr. Chair, and he's talking about looking into chinook salmon.
Mr. Fin Donnelly:
On a point of order, Mr. Fraser has asked for a ruling, so I think, Chair, that you need to give a ruling.
The Chair:
I'll allow the motion to stand. We'll vote on it, unless there's further discussion.Mr. Colin Fraser: Before we vote on the substance of the motion, I will say that we have an awful lot on our plate between now and when this session ends in a couple of weeks' time. The motion is asking for travel. It would be extremely difficult for staff of the committee to arrange that travel and for all of us to put aside everything else that this committee has already endeavoured to undertake between now and the end of the session. I don't think it is realistic at all for that to happen in the time frame we have.The Chair: Thank you for that, Mr. Fraser.
Is there any other discussion?
(Motion negatived: nays 5; yeas 4)
The Chair: The motion is defeated.
Go ahead, Mr. Calkins.
Mr. Blaine Calkins: Thanks, Chair. Am I out of time?
The Chair: You're way out of time.
Mr. Blaine Calkins: Well, I might be. Thank you, Chair.
The Chair: Mr. Rogers, you were on the list. Are you still going to ask questions, or did you get it done?
You're saying you're done.

... Seems it may be up for some interpretation...

Regardless of "interpretation", Paul Gillis answered in the affirmative on this exact question.
And the evidence strongly suggests he either lied intentionally, or through ignorance.
Neither is excusable.
And yes, I am after that...

Nog

It is impossible to deal with dishonest people and it is impossible to reason with ignorant people. Are you listening DFO and Ottawa?

Attended the Town Hall meeting in Campbell River last night. Originally billed as a meeting with the Conservative members of the Standing Committee on Fisheries in Canada, unfortunately, only one member, MP Blaine Calkins was able to make it. No judgement here, it is the last week of sitting for the house of commons before summer recess, so MP Calkins chose to tour around B.C. talking to stakeholders in the recreational fishery as a priority. The meeting was a good one, I think. I believe that Blaine Calkins has a pretty good grasp of what we are going through on the south coast, especially the lodge and charter operators. He is a salmon fisherman and a hunter. He was raised on a cattle ranch in AB., so he knows all about predator control, and he also has a degree in natural resource management. He also said that his sources confirm that minister Wilkinson ignored the advice of his own department to maintain at least the status quo for Chinook retention, and instead decided to move to non-retention. He also said it is thought that the resulting economic impact to the south coast recreational fishery could be as much as $500 million by the time the dust settles. Who is whispering in Jonathan Wilkinson's ear?

Due to mechanical difficulties (damn front differential) I was unable to attend today's meeting with Calkins & Staff.
However two of our Directors did make it there.
They both suggested the discussions were very positive, and that Blaine was both attentive and supportive.
They also noted that he still requires some additional education regarding fisheries matters in BC, but was quick to grasp what they laid out in that regard for him.

I believe we both have an ally in MP Calkins. I will be following up directly with him in the next couple of days as a consequence.
Although it was disappointing MP Doherty could not make this trip, his schedule at this point simply precluded that.
I will also be following up with Doherty in the next few days as well.

Overall the impression was that there is genuine concern, and a willingness to work with both the recreational and commercial troll sector in moving forward. Hell of a different impression than Wilkinson and the lieberals have left us with.

Oh, and GLG, now that the matter of this so-called Impact Study has been settled (frankly it does not exist), how would YOU suggest I move forward addressing the "serious offence of lying to a government committee by Department of Fisheries and Oceans Paul Gillis, Director General, Strategic Policy"? I already understand the Conservatives answer in this regard, but since you were so dramatic in defending this man, I REALLY want your take on the matter before I make my own recommendations...

Cheers,
Nog

The PMO is directly controlling his puppet strings. And they, in turn, are being well played by Fraser FN's.

Nog

They were talking on the radio about how most of the pipeline opposition from FN is from well off FN in the lower mainland. The phrase salmon came out many times.

Oh, and GLG, now that the matter of this so-called Impact Study has been settled (frankly it does not exist), how would YOU suggest I move forward addressing the "serious offence of lying to a government committee by Department of Fisheries and Oceans Paul Gillis, Director General, Strategic Policy"? I already understand the Conservatives answer in this regard, but since you were so dramatic in defending this man, I REALLY want your take on the matter before I make my own recommendations...

Cheers,
Nog

What did you prove? Nothing, as your just pull stuff out of thin air where a least I had evidence from Hansard. Another fail.

I am still digging, but the deeper I get, the more convinced I am that there was / is NO such study.
Should this prove to be the case, as GLG noted, it is a rather serious matter.
One for which I will personally make a point of seeing head's roll if at all possible.

Nog

Yea I'll wish you luck on that head roll. Personally I think it's all Kabuki theater but what do I know I've only been involved for over 40+ years.

Thanks GLG - just learned something (wrt Kabuki theater) - that's why I like this forum - always informative - sometimes even entertaining! :)

What did you prove? Nothing, as your just pull stuff out of thin air where a least I had evidence from Hansard. Another fail.

Present your evidence again, in the face of actual facts please and thanks.
I can tell you exactly who is failing here, and it would appear to be YOU and the politicos you tend to support...

Will admit you are at least "entertaining"...
ROFLMAO.gif

Cheers,
Nog

Present your evidence again, in the face of actual facts please and thanks.
I can tell you exactly who is failing here, and it would appear to be YOU and the politicos you tend to support...

Will admit you are at least "entertaining"...
ROFLMAO.gif

Cheers,
Nog
Just grow up.

Yay lets just re-elect the same party and then ***** on here when our fishing is closed.:rolleyes:

Wake up guys. Seriously. :mad: This is the problem with the talk... People dont hold politicians accountable. I am afraid we are stuck in the when Harper was in he did this...talk

The Conservatives may have been harder on environment last go around, but I have to say in balance I find our liberal friends way worse.

How is that national debt coming along :(

Last edited:
There are three things I strongly wish were different: the cost of post-secondary education, the lack of funding for amateur sport, recreational fishing. None of them are election issues.

Read through the article and saw an interesting comment. Is the chinook fishing really as good as it was 30 years ago?

Read through the article and saw an interesting comment. Is the chinook fishing really as good as it was 30 years ago?

I think that depends, My dad spent a lot of time Chinook fishing in Campbell River/Alert bay/bella bella in the 1980's to 1990's. He had a manual down rigger and fished basically the top 50 feet of water in close to kelp beds. He said that Chinook fishing is comparable now and in some cases better.

Tho its hard to judge because now its common to fish 250 feet deep and the electronics are so much better. I think the sport fleet has become extremely effective at catching fish.

I have heard some guides say in the Vancouver area that our April/May fishery is as good as its ever been. The June/July Fishery in Vancouver is crappy compared to what it used to be ive been told.

Last edited:
That makes sense. So really, not apples to apples comparison.

Lot people were not even using riggers at all 30 years ago and were running around mooching, using slip weights or whatever.

Looking at historic chinook catches there were a few years in the 1980’s where the catch was almost zero. So it looks like there must of been some pretty big wide spread closures for a few years.

Back