length of line from spoon to clip

jeffw12

Hey - how much line do you guys have behind a spoon and the downrigger cable if your running a flasher 36" off the cannon ball?

Hi there buddy. New member I see. Welcome to the forum. The average guy probably runs his flasher 10-25 feet back from the Downrigger clip. Average leader length for spoons for springs behind the flasher is 5-6 feet. Everybody does things differently, but those are most guys usual starting points with Flashers and spoons.

I guess that can vary depending if you have a flasher on other lines or running dummy Flashers. If I run a dummy flasher, I'll run the spoon 7-10 feet behind the dummy. No dummy, maybe 10-25 feet back from the ball. If other lines have Flashers off the riggers I might run the spoon without a flasher the same distance or 5 feet further back than the line with a flasher. The idea being that the other line with a flasher is below to attract, and have the single spoon trailing to pick off fish that see the flash on the other line. As I said everyone does things differently. You will get a lot of different answers

Back