Leader strength for hootchie

pennel

If you want to drag the bottom for halibut using a heavy hootchie (9") and flasher, how heavy would my leader need to be in order to get action on the hootchie?
Thanks

40lb here for salmon
but would think 60-100lb
drop it in the water and send it down watch the action as it decends usually,
stiffer the mono more action the flasher imparts on it.

I am not convinced a flasher would be able to put much action on a large heavy 9 inch hootchie rig. I have caught the odd smaller Halibut on smaller Hootchies with flasher while bottom bouncing or fishing close off the bottom for salmon. You may be better off using a smaller Hootchie which would allow you to catch salmon while still having a chance of a smaller Halibut. If you want to up the odds for Halibut which are attracted to smell, you could consider putting a small scent chamber in it with Herring oil or at least add some oil or other Butt sent to the lure. Off South VI where it is more challenging to catch Halibut than off the west coast or up north, most people deep water anchor.

You could just forget the flasher and jig for them with lead jig head and a Herring or some salmon belly in your super large glow hootchie.

If you want to troll what may work better without anchoring, (at least off South VI with all the current) would be to use a decent size boat and a downrigger with a heavy ball right on the bottom, in a good but not extreme current assuming no significant/strong opposing wind. Use either a large spoon or one of those tiny baby flashers with a Halibut hook set up with a small bit of salmon belly (high fat/scent) on the hook and troll slowly into the current so that you are almost stopped but moving forward very slowly. You could add a glow hootchie over the bait. The current and slow forward movement will put a little action/flash on the lure and the scent should attracted them. At least off South VI/Victoria, I would try the early spring before the large numbers of dogfish and ratfish move in or you will be spending most of your time bringing up you gear to release them and resetting your release clip.

Last edited:
I used 50 pound test on my hootchies for winter springs straight off the flasher with no swivel with 42" inch leads from the curve on the single hook to the edge of the flasher.
Don't fish the winters any more. Would get the occasional halibut on this gear up to 50 pounds and never had a problem breaking the lead.

Reactions: RBL
I use 50 or 60 on every hootchie I tie for either salmon or halibut. Never break the leaders from the fish unless you tightline them at boat.

I have trolled lots for halibut and usually fish either full herring in a bait head or a bigger hootchie. A variety of sizes and colours work both with and without aids like lights or scents. If halibut are around they will bite trolled gear.

Thanks for the replies.
The reason I asked is because I have a few bigger hootchies and was just trying to tap into the experience of someone who has used larger ones with a flasher.
Normally ,I use 6" turds and I know that that works using 60lb mono.
My line of thinking was more in the 80lb mark with a 48" leader.
Just don't want to waste my time offshore with a setup that might be wrong.
The one thing that is really nice on these forums is that you get a lot of different info. and ideas, even if at times it wanders away from the thread.
Wish you all the best for 2020.

Use this for hoochie leaders, flasher leaders, plug leaders.

nmovVlK.jpg

I have caught halibut on a 7 inch tomic, 20 feet behind the downrigger release, trolled 10 feet off the bottom.

White or pink pearl is good.

The bottom one with a hook is a "retired high liner".

b9Cihab.jpg

If you want to drag the bottom for halibut using a heavy hootchie (9") and flasher, how heavy would my leader need to be in order to get action on the hootchie?
Thanks
Ive used 150lb to 200lb leaders on big game circle hooks and hootchies. the leader is taking a ton on beating on the bottom. everything from being layed on and snagged. strong leader never hurts.

Hali are dumb like otheers have said it's convenient if you use a leader that you can fish both salmon and hali effectively. 5o mono is pretty good much heavier and it starts to look like weed eater cord.

I've trolled turds and bigger scud hootchies with 80 good quality mono pounds leaders when I am expecting a chance at bigger hali or lots of lingcod. Works great. Caught tons of springs doing that too. Keep it short, 36 inches or less as you are likely going to be trolling slow and have a big heavy siwash hook and swivel combo inside the hootchy, plus beads or puckies, etc. I've put scent on and used the little flashing light deals, didn't seem to hurt or help noticeably. Scent is critical if anchoring or slow drifting though.

If moreso targeting springs on the bottom, with a chance at a medium to small hali, I'd go with 40 pound fluorocarbon.

Hello
I use 80 lb Jenkai all summer on both hootchies and spoons and troll as fast as my kicker will go. Sometimes 4.7 mph sometimes 3 mph depending on tide and current. Caught all kinds of springs ,Hali and coho going 5 mph. People can’t believe it till they get on board. I say to them you ever seen a west coast troller move at 2.2 mph nooo. They fish very fast and mop up shitload of chinook !! 20 lb cannonballs and troll fast !! If I’m lying I’m dying try it out you’ll be surprised.
50 lb on choice setups and dial back 2.9-3.1 is my optimum speed. Good luck !!!

Tight Lines
Billydoo

Back