Leader Lengths....

Seafever

From the back of the flasher to the nose of a standard hoochy....what leader length do you generally like?

What's your best trolling speed for yours?

Do you lengthen them out in the summer? if so....how long from back of flasher to nose of hoochy?

(Chinooks).

If you're running cuttlefish hoochies do you keep them generally shorter to get more action on the hoochy because they are bigger?

2.2-3mph for hootchies and cuttlefish. 40 or 50 lb leader ten inches longer in august... length between 34-44. so 50-60" in the summer.. using the 50lb you will get great action on both the hooch and cuttle..

I generally use 42 to 48 inches,However if I, m using cuttle fish I go down to 38. If I'm using the new LED lit splatterback hoochy which I am trialing now I thinking 37 to 39 inches due to the slight increase in weight. We'll see on that last one. Once in awhile if nothing seems to work I will try 33. These are all for Springs-sockeye and coho can be much shorter.

I always fish around 3 to 3 1/2 wraps lengthwise on the flasher when fishing hoochies, which is 33" to 38"ish in length. 40lb test leader and constantly playing with speed. In the summer I use cuttlefish size more often than not. works for me. :)

X2. But closer to 33" - 35""

I always fish around 3 to 3 1/2 wraps lengthwise on the flasher when fishing hoochies, which is 33" to 38"ish in length. 40lb test leader and constantly playing with speed.
I also use the 3 flasher length rule, but use 50 lb test

46-50 inches, sometimes longer in the summer though. The speed depends on the other gear in the water but if I'm fishing primarily hootchies the speed stays anywhere from 2.7-3.5 mph. I troll fast though...

32" to 40" with 40 lbs test for me, troll 2.3 to 3 mph or 45 degree angle on the down rigger cable. Most often I run 36 " 38 for springs and. 32 for soxs and troll slow same for coho but trolled fast. Hard part is finding a fish to trick lol.

Left nipple to tip of my right hand...always in the 40 - 42 inch range. Sometimes whack them back to get more action - particularly if there are coho about.

I know that long leaders to hootchies are favored up North. I run my leaders (40# or 50# mono or fluoro) 18" to 20" for the hootchies. A lot more action and the fish has to decide it it wants to hit or not. My hook-up ratio went up when I went to the shorter leader. I like a single siwash (5/0 or 6/0) rigged with the end of the tentacles just above the bend of the hook. The short leader also catches Chinook.

For spoons, I'll run about 40-44".

Trolling speed for me is 2.5 to 3.5 mph.

42-44 inches for Kings (sorry...Springs) 2.5-3.0 mph for hoochies or spoons....spoons over 4.5 inches go no flasher...I use 50 lb. florocarbon for the hoochies
Coho 28-32 inches and go FAST 3.5-4.5 or as fast as your gear allows. I really like dodgers over flashers for the Coho

Last edited by a moderator:
Leader lengths depend mainly on boat speeds. Commies who troll around 4.5 mph will use a completely different leader length from a rec who trolls at 2.3 mph. So you should be asking sped and leader length.

Leader lengths depend mainly on boat speeds. Commies who troll around 4.5 mph will use a completely different leader length from a rec who trolls at 2.3 mph. So you should be asking sped and leader length.

True enough.......but my set up for my boat it's 36" for Coho and 42" for Springs.......40lbs leaders

So ReelSlim. Based on that info my guess is you troll around 2.3-2.5 mph.

42 for springs is very short. Do you troll really slow for springs? I cannot remember using a leader under 60"" for anchivies and, in summer off Sooke, up to 9'

The thread was leader length for hootchy's not anchovies-whole different ball of wax-6ft minimum up to 10 ft and even no flasher for anchovies or spoons. IMHO

Back