LEAD WEIGHTS

Wireman

I have aquired some tire weights and I'm wanting to make some 12 LB cannon balls. I've been told that tire weights are no good for cannon balls that I need to use pure lead is this true?
Any input would be greatly appreaciated.
Cheers.

I would use tire weights, wouldnt think twice about it. All the impurities get scooped off the top, including the steel parts.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Ill take it all of your hands and then let you know:D:DKidding aside ive done both pure lead that was from a x-ray machine and then tire weights notice no difference in a voltage test on the water as like you was wondering so now ill take any lead to melt down and make balls with.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

I have melted down buckets of tire weights before, they are great for making fishing weights. The only thing is the tire weights make a terrible smell/smoke, the oil and dirt on them burn off when you melt them down, make sure you do it out side and far away from your house and make sure all the windows are closed in the house. I wear a respirator and gloves that I intend to through away after, led is poison, in its molten state its even more poison. Wash all your clothing after and any tools and surfaces that came in contact with the led. There was a thread before with links talking about led safety. I will see if I can find it..

quote:Originally posted by Wireman

I have aquired some tire weights and I'm wanting to make some 12 LB cannon balls. I've been told that tire weights are no good for cannon balls that I need to use pure lead is this true?
Any input would be greatly appreaciated.
Cheers.

Back