Kicker steering from inboard

Oly1

Looking to put a rear station kicker only, steering station at the back of the Double Eagle. The boat has a 5.7 with a Volvo DP and a 15 HP Merc pro kicker. The kicker has a Panther steering ram and remote control. Works good but not ideal when trying to steer when solo. Would prefer a rear station with a wheel just for the kicker.

The inboard engine has a hydraulic system run off the power steering pump, so no power when big engine is off. I know I could change the system out to a hydraulic system like a Sea Star, however I don’t want to buy an inboard ram as the plan is to change out to an outboard down the road. Probably easier to go with a cable steering system for now??

What system do others use in a situation like this.

Oly

The only issue here with steering the kicker solo is that you won't get much turning capability. One way you will get better results then the other. Thats a tough spot to be in. Double edged sword. But if you have to have a wheel then cable is pretty much your only option unless you go hydraulic. Pretty small boat to have a stern mounted wheel

I would upgrade to hydraulic. That way if you do remove the i/o and put an outboard your system in there just have to change a cylinder.

edit: if you put a seastar cylinder onto the kicker, then when you install a pod just have to remove the i/o cylinder and swap the kicker cylinder into the main and add a tie bar. Hope that makes sense to you

I have to do same things with mine as my inboard is just the cable system. Its expensive new hydraulic system + sea star ram kicker. etc. Probably stay with ez steer system.

changed over to Hdy from cable power assisted on the 4.3 v6

bought all my stuff used and went with compression airline fittings
used 3 way shut offs and put a ram on the kicker easy peasy never looked back .. steer from the helm on 22' boat just done the same on the 25' bertram from cable to Hdy on the flybridge and lower station

changed over to Hdy from cable power assisted on the 4.3 v6

bought all my stuff used and went with compression airline fittings
used 3 way shut offs and put a ram on the kicker easy peasy never looked back .. steer from the helm on 22' boat just done the same on the 25' bertram from cable to Hdy on the flybridge and lower station
when you say a 3 way valve does that mean you can only steer the main or the kicker but not both? I’m battling the power assist inboard steering and panther for the kicker. It fine in calm water but when a bit of wind comes up it’s a nightmare to have just the kicker steering

yes its either the main or the kicker only one at a time some have used a a 12v switching value but i kept it simple and just flipped the two 3 ways

Back