Kicker Steering attachment ideas.

jaymasta

Iam looking for various ideas (pictures) on an easy way to attach my kicker motor to my main motor preferably on the upper portion of the engines. I currently have built a system to attach them together on the legs but I find it extremely awkward to bend down between them to attach it, and if its choppy at all it is basically impossible without getting soaked or falling in. I could move the system that I have build to the cases of the motors but I would have to drill holes in the cases which I don't want to have to do. My kicker is on one of the adjustable brackets so its a bit more challenging then transom mounted kickers.

You could always go to remote control, don"t know allot about them, I think you either like it or hate it. I have 2004 Mercury salt water and a 15hp Honda and it has arm attached in the front of each motor works great. I to had the easy steer system on my old boat, I feel your pain.

My personal preference is a separate remote control. I have used a Panther T-4 with both wired and wireless controls for two years and love it. I can be anywhere in the boat and have control. No ned to have someone at the wheel.
cheers

To much water, too little time

I am trying to do this on a large budget, I am more looking for a homemade type setup. Right now I have the some heavy duty rubber wrapped around the legs with a "L" fitting coming out the back and held on with hose clamps, the system works great its just trying to put the rod on once I am out at the fishing, I could do a similar setup on top of the engines I just don't want to drill holes through the engine cowls and was wondering what other setups people are using on a budget.

quote:Originally posted by jaymasta

I am trying to do this on a large budget, I am more looking for a homemade type setup. Right now I have the some heavy duty rubber wrapped around the legs with a "L" fitting coming out the back and held on with hose clamps, the system works great its just trying to put the rod on once I am out at the fishing, I could do a similar setup on top of the engines I just don't want to drill holes through the engine cowls and was wondering what other setups people are using on a budget.

maybe try doing the top of the cowling thing using some of those super suction cups, you can get some with 200+ lbs of holding strength[?][?]

img3937n.jpg

That might work I also thought of using some magnets but I think that they would have to be to big to be usable, where would I get some large suction cups like that?

quote:Originally posted by jaymasta

That might work I also thought of using some magnets but I think that they would have to be to big to be usable, where would I get some large suction cups like that?

im not sure locally, but definitely online/ebay.. something even like this could work with some playing around http://www.tackletogo.com/remsuccleat.html

img3937n.jpg

i put holes in my last motors cowling and it worked great, not sure if you have a newer motor and that is your reason for not wanting to drill your cowling but i can say it was the only way i could on my last motor and it worked fine
i had if from one cowling to the leg of the other motor

I ran a stainless Steel bolt up from under the front metal bar at the center front of my main power and also on the center of bar across the front of the kicker . I just drop the homemade steer bar on the two bolts and away I go( holes drilled at each end of ski pole, wood dowell or pvc pipe have all worked fine) Takes 2 seconds to install and remove. You cannot tilt up either motor with it installed though.

When I get a chance I can get a photo to show.

I also have a self-fabricated SS bar that I can just insert into the front centre of both motors. Manufactured a simple but sturdy bracket system for both motor fronts. Will take a picture and post it later... But have a look at the front of your motors and just try to figure out where you could mount a steering bar that of course needs to be bent accordingly to connect from centre to centre.

halibut2007040.jpg

Here what i did on my old boat just bent some alum made some brackets and bolted it on and you dont even have to undo it.

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Go with Wolf's suggestion. It is the best method without question. Most of us on the West Coast have gone to a second steering helm (hydraulic) to make it easier to work your gear at the back of the boat and have full control of the boat. This system only works if you have both engines relatively in line. If your main engine is on the transom and the kicker is mounted on a bracket, then you will have some issues. I had to have a custom system made to overcome that problem. It can be done if you can find a good fabricator. Go see Gord Hawkins at Breakers, he designed my system which works flawlessly.

Searun

th_067.jpg

Has anyone here ever used the kicker brkt that mounts on an I/O. I put one on a merc leg and hung a kicker on it. It basically mounts to the upper housing bolts and allowed the kicker to be tilted up when running on the main.No throttle control but sure made steering easy.

Back