Kicker not peeing

Tiki35

Sorry, this is totally off topic, but we all use our kickers so much for trolling, I thought you guys would have some experience with this.

I have a 1998 Mercury 9.9 four stroke kicker.

While trolling at the end of the season last year, I noticed the engine was not peeing. So I shut her down and came home. Fired her up the next day, and she was peeing so I thought maybe there was a temporary blockage at the water intake.

So I start her up for the first time this season at home in a barrel, and she's not pissing again. So I replace the water pump (the water guide is aligned), still no dice. Check thermostat, needs replacing for sure-really full of crystallized salt and corroded, but ran it momentarily with the thermostat housing off to verify flow the block and there is good flow. I really love to fix this myself without having to take it into the shop.

Any ideas?

i have found small bits of impellor, seaweed etc , plugging the outlet before,.:)

share the harvest

Right, was the very first thing I checked. Disconnected the hose leading to the telltale and can blow air through it no problem. If water is getting to the powerhead, water pump is working. I am sure I have a salt blockage after leaving the thermostat somewhere, but I don't know where.

Get some "Salt-away" and run it for 20 mins. in a garbage can.
i'm a firm believer in freshwater flushing outboards after each use.

Is there a nipple threaded into the block that the pee tube connects to?
I had to remove the nipple and clean it out as there was crud
stuck in the oriface.

Salt Away and flushing in general really helps. The guy who works on my kicker recently checked my thermostat and couldn't believe how clean it was in there. [^]

Remember, it's called "fishing," not "catching."

Taking an air compressor and blowing out all the water lines solved it guys, thanks very much.
I am very diligent about flushing my main engine, but have neglected my kicker. I replaced the thermostat too and will start using Salt-Away.

I don't know if this is recommended or not. I'm sure some mechanic will let us know if it's not a good idea. I have taken weed eater line or 120lb test mono and fed it back through the water exit hole on the block. I have done this quite a few times and it usually clears out a minor blockage. Don't attempt when the block is hot. As usual, use at your own risk, and your mileage may vary.

Good luck.

I know this is going to sound kinda funny, but I recall blowing on the pee hole of main motor one time to make sure it was clear of any obstruction.

Perhaps I'll get the wife to do it next time. ;)

Remember, it's called "fishing," not "catching."

weve had similar problem on our 4 stroke honda 8 hp. all it was for us though was seaweed or salt build up in motor. run her through fresh water with the tube where she pee's disconnected. we have a small nail we will poke into the hole to clear debree. we run it for at least 5 mins after every time we hit the saltwater. since we've made it a routine weve had no problems !!

Back