Kelsey Bay

gungadin

My wife and I are heading up to Sayward for a few days next month for a camping and fishing trip. I would like to catch a few springs :) but have no idea where they run on their way down the coast or what to use. Any help in this regard would be appreciated. We are going to fish off the wharf as well. I have a 16ft open boat and run scotty electrics.

Just south of Kelsey Bay at Hkusam is ok fishing in closer to shore, sit on the edge of the current,
the usual spoons or hootchie as others have talked about on other threads or anchovie.
Be very wary of the current and extra cautious if a westerly wind comes up.
There should be some pinks going through to keep you busy.
Goodluck!!

North of Kelsey Bay, trolling off of the kelp beds has worked for me. Usual culprits for terminal tackle and yes they will take a pink squirt.
x2 on being very aware of wind and water conditions. Conditions here can get very snotty fast. :eek:
Welcome to the valley.

My wife and I are heading up to Sayward for a few days next month for a camping and fishing trip. I would like to catch a few springs :) but have no idea where they run on their way down the coast or what to use. Any help in this regard would be appreciated. We are going to fish off the wharf as well. I have a 16ft open boat and run scotty electrics.

Sounds like fun :)

If you like crab there used to be (2 years ago) a crab boat come into the dock and you could get 5 big crab for $20. Ask at the campground.

X3 on the wind there - watch out for westerlys.

Try fishing back and forth across the mouth of the river - stay in at least 40-50' of water and watch for snags .. Also try past Brasso Bay (about 1/4 to 1/2 north of the dock) and about a mile or so beyond that up and just beyond the gravel beach - fish at 60 to 90'.

If you like crab there used to be (2 years ago) a crab boat come into the dock and you could get 5 big crab for $20. Ask at the campground.

Yes, we camped there a couple of weeks back and folks beside us bought crab from commercial boat for $10 bucks each

Just got back home, fishing was pretty good for pinks both off the Kelsey Bay wharf, and on the water as well. Sunny most of the time, but everybody was right when it gets windy from the north and the tide is from the south, it can be relatively calm near Kelsey, but 150 meters out there are 3-4 meter standing waves. There was also a 12 kilo halibut caught from the wharf as well. We enjoyed our stay and will go again for sure.

Back