kayak fishing 2015

2 of us will be fishing Sheringham tomorrow AM, launching at Flea Beach at 8:30.If anyone wants to join us, feel free.
T2

Fished Sheringham this AM, lots of pinks but no springs for me. Good whale show just past noon including momma and baby within spitting distance.
T2

Nice! I have the week off next week, so I'll be trying to talk my wife into a day of canoe fishing. How does your week next week look?

Hey yak fishers,

Looking for people who want to tee up and get out fishing together.

Was out today with Tsquared (Tom) and embarrassed myself thoroughly!
If you're up for some fishing and want to join a guy that'll make you look like a pro, send me a PM!

-Zac

Hey everyone!
Im moving into the Langford Area from the prairies. Fished most of my life but zero salt water. Not a big fan of big waves so was thinking about shore fishing and/or kayak/canoe/small jon boat style fishing. Obviously not for "real" offsore fishing just for puttering around close to shore or calm bays etc. Also my wife and I are not big fans of salmon. Love pretty much every other type of fish you can name just not most salmons or trout. So that leaves Bottom fish, perch, lingcod, flounder, halibut (doubtful cause I'm not skilled enough to head out that deep), greenlings, crab etc.
My question is: Looking some of these kayak set ups, a guy can get a small boat and a motor for the same kind of money. Is there any advantage of a kayak over a small boat?
How safe is it taking kayaks out on the salt water, esp for a newbie (no clue about things like current etc). Been a lake/river/shore fisherman my whole life.
Wondering if I should even attempt it to be honest.
Tony

You might want to get some experience kayaking by renting some yaks before making a decision. Ocean River in Victoria or there is a guy in Sooke at Sooke harbour marina who rents hobies. This might give you a feel for the salt in some protected waters.
T2

I'm on tomorrow Am at Sheringham if anyone is interested. Zev, it was good to meet up with you at Otter this AM. That was a nice fish you got.
T2

does any one target halibut or lingcod out of a kayak.......I know you can catch halis fairly close to shore in Jordan river but the wind is usually a factor there......does any one fish Victoria.... oak bay...... Sydney areas for halis or lings....tried albert head numerous times caught small lings no halis .....if the wind comes up the beach is protected to get the yak out of the water....not looking for honey holes just alternate launch spots that have access to fishing areas within a reasonably probability of catching a keeper....don't mind having to paddle a bit to reach a spot..... prefer to try areas where the afternoon westerly winds are not as much of a concern

Lucky - I've fished the water front for Lings and caught several legals, but nothing over 10. I have another secret spot I've caught to a 17lb Ling, with fish guaranteed every trip. As for halis I'd watch the currents and maybe try jigging out of Smugglers Cove in Oak Bay where the contours drop down to around 100 feet which is around 0.4 of a mile from shore.

I'm on tomorrow Am at Sheringham if anyone is interested. Zev, it was good to meet up with you at Otter this AM. That was a nice fish you got.
T2

Thanks for the kudos, how was sherringham, did you get out? That was a mid teens spring, caught at about slack current, 33 pulls, in the spot where I catch most of my yak springs, gold flash and anchovy, one pound slip weight. On a diffetent note has anyone caught a spring using the kite tail flasher

I did get out to Sheringham but nothing but pinks for me. I've got coho on the kite tail but no springs.
T2

On a diffetent note has anyone caught a spring using the kite tail flasher

I've been lazy about checking in with fishing reports...I didn't even know there was a separate kayak thread until just now!

Anyhow, for me at least the kite tail is the magic bullet. I had the worst luck last summer, and since switching over to the kite tail plus anchovy in teaser on 30" leader fishing has been much more productive.

I've just been on the water this year in the last 2 weeks...all at Otter in afternoons. So far half a dozen pinks, a few coho, lots of shakers and 3 pretty big springs.

This afternoon's weighed in at 22 lbs, the little coho beside it just 5.

CJ

View attachment 19562

I answered my own question about the kite tail flasher and picked up a nice low teener spring near otter yesterday morning. Great dawn to 7:00 bite, but couldn't scare up another sticker. Just missed being on the water for the whale show. Saw T2 at the beach and introduced another newbie to otter pt. kayak fishing. More and more yakkers every year I think I started in early 90's. Used to be rare that I would see anyone kayak fishing there. Take extra care those of you who use sit on tops, make sure you have a compass. It can be a foggy, wet and windy place, personally, I wouldn't use a SOT yak there, too many times i have had to paddle back in serious wind and waves and was really happy to be snug inside my boat.

Out to Otter again this evening at 5:30 for a couple of hours. Pretty choppy...lots of face washes.

Stuck with anchovy, 60 ft out on rigger and hung on tight.

3 pin poppers in first 30 mins that vanished with the chovy.... then finally stuck a couple: a nice 12 lb spring and a 4 lb hatch coho. Let go 2 smaller springs, ran out of bait and took a bit of a pounding on the beach landing!

Nothing like landing a fish while riding a bucking bronco:)

Thinking about getting a tandem kayak for my wife and I to paddle around and maybe do some crabbing/fishing.
Any of you tried tandem fishing and in what yak?
Anyone ever fish Renfrew in there yak (eastpoint)?
Thanks

Here's a trip report from Renfrew a couple of years ago when I was up there in October.

"Port Renfrew trip report--I've always wanted to try Port Renfrew in the yak so I fished Saturday, launching on the townside of the San Juan River Bridge, where the old docks are moored. You will see the put in--small boats can launch from there. There were 3 young surfers launching their zodiac filled with surfboards to go west to Nitnat while I was getting ready. You want to try the pool inside the bar, especially on a rising tide as fresh coho may be moving in, and first light is always the best bet. I tried the pool but did not mark any fish on the sounder so moved outside the bar into the bay. You have to be careful going around the bar--you don't want to get hulied in the surf. Out in the bay I found fish out from the marina breakwater but I couldn't get them to bite. I later learned this is an area they often like to stage in, so give that a try. I got frustrated by the coho with lockjaw, so I hoisted the sail and trolled out to the mouth of San Juan Bay to fish between East Point and the canbouy. It's more than a couple of miles out so you might want to stick in the bay. i ended up with nothing but undersize spring salmon for the day, nothing keepable. I was pleased that I could make it out to East Point although it was a long peddle back in. During the summer East Point can produce some great spring salmon fishing, and any sunny day produces an onshore breeze in the bay about 1 pm, so I think after I finish fishing in August, I could hoist the sail, put the feet up and sail back to the beach. Sunday I got lazy and went out with my fishing partner in our power boat a couple of miles out of the bay into the Strait and we ended up with 7 coho, for a total of 21 coho between 3 of us for the 3 day trip."

T2

Last edited by a moderator:
Back