kayak fishing 2015

Check out big wave Dave and the predictions for The strait. General rule is its calmer in the Am than the PM when the westerly usually comes up. The currents look strong for next week tho...
T2

Drmadcow--you need to clear your message box. I'll try and make it for Sunday. Where do you put in?
T2

Thanks Tsquare that was a lot of fun. After you left we went over to the cruise ship piles and caught around 8 more undersize lings, and a 7lb legal ling.

I woundering is there a good launch to fish sherinham and what are the tides like?. I want to break my 20lb kayak salmon this year and I think a lot of big one come from there.

Any thoughts?

I woundering is there a good launch to fish sherinham and what are the tides like?. I want to break my 20lb kayak salmon this year and I think a lot of big one come from there.

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?

French beach would be a short carry/wheel.

Is tthere good fishing along french beach?

Don't know but Sheringham is right there. Otter point closer to Sooke use to be a great chinook hang out and the beach just to the north would be a easy kayak launch. Wish I could give you current info. I haven't boat fished for salmon in some time and am to novice to dare taking my kayak out there.

Hillier--Try Flea Beach, just west of Sheringham. Access is easy--last road before French beach park. I'll be there soon--1 more week of work.
T2

Hi guys, just signed up here, I have enjoyed reading many things on this forum but nothing that sounds as fun as kayak fishing. Thusly I sold my Watermaster and I am impatiently awaiting the arrival of my ocean kayak trident 13. I will be looking to get into a few springs this summer, but I had just a few kayak fishing newbie questions for the experienced. Are those of you with SOT kayaks launching in breaking waves off the beach? When and if you do are you wearing survival suits etc. or is this the kind of thing you are only doing in the calmest of conditions? I was also wondering about how SOT kayaks handle the nasty weather that can come up quickly out there, as in water over the bow, fairly big swells, surfing into beaches. I know people in sea kayaks do this stuff but I've done a bit of searching but haven't seen much regarding the particulars of SOT. I am not a complete idiot, have spent some time in a sea kayak, canoes,etc. but I have been out on the water in powerboats with bad weather coming up really fast, so in the interest of not killing myself, just trying to get an idea of what people are considering reasonable conditions for heading out into the chuck. In addition I'd like to connect with some of the members on here on the water (once the boat arrives anyway) if possible.
Thanks
Len

I wear a drysuit but in this heat if your not in the water it's like your in an oven, it's almost unbeariel! I think my next time out I'm just putting waders and my life jacket on. I'm not to far out and there's always boats around, I'm sure they would help if troubles happens. But it always better to be safe, maybe I should get thin shorty wetsuit

Hey Len--welcome! You've raised some very good questions in terms of safety and kayaking on the salt. i am very cautious when deciding to go out in JDF Strait. My first check is the current guide--I won't go out if the currents are too strong, like the last few days around the full moon. The second stop when planning a kayak trip is looking at Big Wave Dave for wind--if there is anything over 10-12 knots, i give it a pass--and I have a Hobie Adventure Island with the outriggers, making it very stable. Your question about surf is a good one--I own a surf kayak which I do for fun once in a while but I don't want any part of big surf with a fully rigged fish kayak if I can avoid it. (Too much expensive gear to lose if you roll over)Most of the time in the summer there is little or no surf to contend with at the launch points west of Sooke where I fish. I do go out in the fall--October is great off Otter Point for coho and there is sometimes a bit of surf to deal with. As for what to wear--I have a Kotatat dry suit, expensive but well worth it in my opinion. I wear this suit in the winter and shoulder seasons but change to shorts under neoprene pants and a dry top in this really hot, calm summertime weather. I can peel the pants and top off out on the boat if I get too hot or put them on if the wind and waves kick up. I haven't tried a Trident 13 but it certainly gets good reviews on the kayak fishing forums and lots of people have them. As for SOT's and safety, the first thing I did several years ago when i got a Hobie Revolution 13 was to take it to Matheson Lake and tip it over to practice getting back in. Once you've done thata few times, you'll feel way more confident in getting out on the salt.
Shoot me a PM if you want to get together to wet a line. I'm on holidays now and am eager to get out and get some kayak caught salmon--there are pinks galore out there, so getting your Trident nice and bloody should not be a problem.
Cheers,
Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Hillier - if wearing waders, don't forget the belt to cinch it up tight around waist/chest.
Very difficult to swim with full waders.
Want you back here posting.
(I know you have probably thought of this, but friendly reminder)
Good luck

Thanks for the safety info, specifics are helpful, and I'm picking up safety gear this week. I've got a healthy fear of cold water and don't really want to be unprepared. I'll be in touch as soon as the boat shows, should be here by next weekend.

Hey Len--welcome! You've raised some very good questions in terms of safety and kayaking on the salt. i am very cautious when deciding to go out in JDF Strait. My first check is the current guide--I won't go out if the currents are too strong, like the last few days around the full moon. The second stop when planning a kayak trip is looking at Big Wave Dave for wind--if there is anything over 10-12 knots, i give it a pass--and I have a Hobie Adventure Island with the outriggers, making it very stable. Your question about surf is a good one--I own a surf kayak which I do for fun once in a while but I don't want any part of big surf with a fully rigged fish kayak if I can avoid it. (Too much expensive gear to lose if you roll over)Most of the time in the summer there is little or no surf to contend with at the launch points west of Sooke where I fish. I do go out in the fall--October is great off Otter Point for coho and there is sometimes a bit of surf to deal with. As for what to wear--I have a Kotatat dry suit, expensive but well worth it in my opinion. I wear this suit in the winter and shoulder seasons but change to shorts under neoprene pants and a dry top in this really hot, calm summertime weather. I can peel the pants and top off out on the boat if I get too hot or put them on if the wind and waves kick up. I haven't tried a Trident 13 but it certainly gets good reviews on the kayak fishing forums and lots of people have them. As for SOT's and safety, the first thing I did several years ago when i got a Hobie Revolution 13 was to take it to Matheson Lake and tip it over to practice getting back in. Once you've done thata few times, you'll feel way more confident in getting out on the salt.
Shoot me a PM if you want to get together to wet a line. I'm on holidays now and am eager to get out and get some kayak caught salmon--there are pinks galore out there, so getting your Trident nice and bloody should not be a problem.
Cheers,
Tom

Good idea about the pants and dry top. I was out last Sunday in my drysuit and I almost died once the sun came up

Cheers,
Tom

Good idea about the pants and dry top. I was out last Sunday in my drysuit and I almost died once the sun came up

Back