kayak fishing 2015

We were thinking we would be happy with jigging lingcod, rock fish, greenling but apparently its all closed in area 19 so now I'm trying to figure out a salmon setup.

Rockfish and lingcod open up on May 1st in area 19 I believe, if you're there in summer then you shouldn't be affected. Greenling are all year.

Sorry thawk, yak is put away for another month or so, so I couldn't snap a pic. This is essentially the set-up I use. But I pieced it together myself for much cheaper. http://www.austinkayak.com/products/1346/Hobie-Fishfinder-Package.html?k=fishfinder

I got the Lowrance X4 last year from gpscity.ca, bought the dry bag at MEC and the battery harness cost me a couple bucks at Daniels Electronics. It lasts me about 8 hours, maybe a bit more.

Hope that helps...

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great. Thanks Xavier I wonder how the transducer would work through the fiberglass vs the plastic. More research... Thanks Angus

That's great. Thanks Xavier I wonder how the transducer would work through the fiberglass vs the plastic. More research... Thanks Angus

I externally mount my transducer. It also depends on the quality / features of your sounder. I have a brand new Garmin 301DV on order for my Nucanoe even if the transducer would work through the hull I'd externally mount it to maximize the signal quality. Dad bought a 551DV for his boat and the bottom quality is amazing it is like a photograph (well not quite), and when my Humminbird sounder started acting up I knew I needed Downvu. I absolutely expect to catch more and bigger Lingcod in my canoe this year because of it.

I know at least a couple of members here are Nucanoe users -- I tried to PM a couple of you several days ago, but haven't heard back yet. Basically, I would like to know if anyone has used the Nucanoe Frontier 10 in the saltwater around Victoria or even somewhere similar in the Pacific Northwest (I know at least one of you have used that model before moving to a Frontier 12) and, if so, what is your over-all impression of it is as a solo boat. Even if you've used another Frontier model like the Classic, I'd be interested in your thoughts on the Frontier 10.

Also, has anyone used the Hobie Quest? If so, what do you think of it as a saltwater fishing platform?

I grew up in a canoe, but that was freshwater fishing (and even duck-hunting-- not hesitating to stand up and blast off three rounds from a 12-gauge pump-action shotgun), but those days are far behind me. I still have a 15 1/2-foot canoe that I use from time to time in what passes for lakes around SVI, but I've never worked up the courage to take it out in the salt. I'm over 60 and tip the scales at about 210 pounds and the only time I stand up in a canoe now is when I'm launching or landing, and it's not something I'd feel comfortable taking a couple of kilometres out in the salt.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Sorry I didn't see your message. I see there are 2 NuCanoe frontiers on UsedVictoria, I'd look at the one that comes with a paddle as that is $80 to buy extra. I fish out of a NuCanoe Classic 12, and I love it but I wish I had the leg room of the Frontier. I am a little disappointed that they discontinued the red color NuCanoes as for ocean fishing I rather have something really bright in case I have an accident for spotting me. Other than getting sore legs my only complaint about the NuCanoe Classic is the weight as I need a second person to help me get it up on the roof. As for the frontier it looks awesome, my only worry would be the bilge holes if your canoe tips and you need to get on top of it then it will sink quicker.

For a battery, I use a DeWalt drill battery, from an older DeWalt I had. I can use both a 12 and 14v battery. Put it in a water tight plastic box, and drilled two holes in the case and sealed a couple stainless screws that I have wires with spade connectors to the battery on the inside and ring slips to the outside. Very convenient and I can charge in about an hour with the regular DeWalt charger. Runs all day a humingbird sounder. Velcro on the side of the battery and on the bottom of the box keeps it in place.

They had Hobie demo days at Maple Bay yesterday. I tried out the new adventure island double with my BIL. Great boat and those new seats are very comfortable.
T2

Love to but I'm signed up to help at the hatchery clipping coho on Sunday.
T2

Hey guys, I'm gonna be out off the South end of Moresby on Wednesday and likely Friday weather permitting. I'll be the guy on the Jackson Cuda. Gonna be doing some Hali fishing. If anyone is interested, company would not be frowned upon. Going to try to arrive there around ten AM.....maybe a little later, I'll be paddling from Pender.

If the weather is bad....too much wind, then I will not be there.

-Rod.

I am going to be doing a little drifty drift this Monday, wind permitting. Putting in at Cordova bay, out to little zero and up to James island for some flounders and Hali. Anyone care to join? I'm hoping to catch something a little bigger than this little guy so I can actually test out my new buoy gaff...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 290
Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any winds to be wary of when fishing J.R. especially over a tide change? I might give it a go next week.

Back