Jigging Rod

TheHurtLocker

I did a search and it didn't come up with much. I want to try out jigging this year and was wondering on rod type. Length, style, and so on.

Thanks in advance.

There are lots of good jigging rods available, i mysellf use a 6.6 shakespear ugly stick but in the end it comes down to personnel preference, check with any fishing guides you know and ask what setup they prefer to use

I use any kind of rod for jigging.....spinning cast rod, 12 pound test line for casting or mooching rod (25 or 30 pound test line) -vertical line down to the bottom and jig up and down.

I like the 9' shimano TDRs because they're almost a mix between a mooching rod and bottom fishing rod, shorter and beefy. Also good for trolling deep for halibut.

A standard med or med/hvy rigger rod work fine but I like the ability to slam the hook home when jigging for salmon.

I did a search and it didn't come up with much. I want to try out jigging this year and was wondering on rod type. Length, style, and so on.

Thanks in advance.

Jigging for?? There is a lot of differance between Salmon, Halibut, or herring. That being said, shorter stiffer rods work best. Stay away from something like a 10'6" mooching rod. How deep are you fishing? Going beyond 150' give up on Mono and go with braid or you won't get good action or a hook set.
Just a couple things to consider.

I own two Shakespeare BWC 2200 70 Ugly Stik Tiger Rod. They are 7 footer one piece medium light rods. I've caught fish that were a few hours up to 50lb Halibut on them, and they'll handle even bigger fish. I like the medium light as the tip gets action on jigs as small at 75g, and I jig up to 400g jigs on them. They also make a 2 piece medium version but it isn't as sensitive for smaller jigs.

http://www.tackledirect.com/shakespeare-bwc-2200-70-ugly-stik-tiger-rod-casting.html

Back