Sabiki rod

spring fever

The other day while jigging at Camp R I jigged about 20 nice 6 to 9 inch herring over the course of an afternoon. Went home and rigged up a live . bait set-up and carried it with me and of course only jigged coho next trip. So ordered a sabiki rod from amazon and have it rigged now. Anxious to give it a spin. How long will a small herring survive roughly in a 5 gal pail of fresh sea water. Thinking I may just free spool a herring over the side like we did in Mexico while jigging. Might work any insights??

The other day while jigging at Camp R I jigged about 20 nice 6 to 9 inch herring over the course of an afternoon. Went home and rigged up a live . bait set-up and carried it with me and of course only jigged coho next trip. So ordered a sabiki rod from amazon and have it rigged now. Anxious to give it a spin. How long will a small herring survive roughly in a 5 gal pail of fresh sea water. Thinking I may just free spool a herring over the side like we did in Mexico while jigging. Might work any insights??
I have a small rod setup up with a sabiki at all times. I keep wanting to get one of those rods though, the tangles get to be annoying. I have a live well but don't use it often because I worry about wear and tear on the pump. So I usually just dump a bucket of fresh water into the bucket of herring every half hour or so. They'll survive for a whole day that way as long as you keep them out of the sun. I tried keeping a pile of perch overnight in the livewell once, didn't end well.

Won’t last long without water circulating the more herring you have the faster they need water exchange but a small livey tank is easy to rig up with a bilge pump and use the downrigger plug Never tried freee spooling one but a small banana weight about 6’ leader and tiny treble in the nose of the herring has always worked well.

I remember something that looked like these but orange around Campbell River when I was a kid:

Pretty sure a lot of people used them when mooching live herring along the kelp beds that used to be along Quadra just north of Cape Mudge, kind of around Yaculta. 6 oz ball weight or so then a leader to the herring. Can't remember how they were hooked. I only did it once or twice.

Aerators or bubblers works well in a big bucket
Look at Engel rechargeable aerators. Or Frabill has a few too. Used with good results fishing with live bait from shore on Mexico. Get the more powerfull models. I like the Engel as rechargeable and last many hours. Even overnight.

Look at Engel rechargeable aerators. Or Frabill has a few too. Used with good results fishing with live bait from shore on Mexico. Get the more powerfull models. I like the Engel as rechargeable and last many hours. Even overnight.
Thanks guys-I remember the ball weights-and if a Spring took the bait he could run and the line would slip through the ball until you set the hook. Not sure how I'm going to use this as I am usually too busy jigging but I have this fantasy where you look around from jigging and there is the live baited rod just buried and howling. Ah the demented dreams of a fisherman waiting for the wind to drop!!LOL

Thanks guys-I remember the ball weights-and if a Spring took the bait he could run and the line would slip through the ball until you set the hook. Not sure how I'm going to use this as I am usually too busy jigging but I have this fantasy where you look around from jigging and there is the live baited rod just buried and howling. Ah the demented dreams of a fisherman waiting for the wind to drop!!LOL
My only results from live bait around Vancouver has been dogs. Big F$@&in dogs.

These don’t work with herring for long, tried it. Best simple solution is a small bilge pump or bait pump and circulating water my setup has a timer it runs 30s every minute. Keep the dead baits of course and salt/freeze them at home for future use in teasers/cutplug etc. also make good prawn bait. Livey fishing for me is hands down the most fun and when the fish are around very productive they do inhale the herring pretty deep so pinch barbs and keep pliers handy.

I have a small rod setup up with a sabiki at all times. I keep wanting to get one of those rods though, the tangles get to be annoying.
My buddy has one of those sabiki rods. It wins the ugliest rod competition. We call it the flagpole.

If you don’t have one yet try this it works great, guaranteed to reduce tangles by 400% !
FF9F63E5-24DC-491B-B8D2-9DC266EE16F4.jpeg
Join the hooks together into 3 sets of 2. It will shorten up the rig by a foot or two, then loop the weight around the reel handle. No stray hooks flying around.

Then if you want to go a step further you can take the main line part of the rig and wrap it up around the top of the rod blank and around a a line guide to get the hooks closer to the rod blank.

My buddy has one of those sabiki rods. It wins the ugliest rod competition. We call it the flagpole.

If you don’t have one yet try this it works great, guaranteed to reduce tangles by 400% !
View attachment 96493
Join the hooks together into 3 sets of 2. It will shorten up the rig by a foot or two, then loop the weight around the reel handle. No stray hooks flying around.

Then if you want to go a step further you can take the main line part of the rig and wrap it up around the top of the rod blank and around a a line guide to get the hooks closer to the rod blank.
Love it!

3/4" Schedule 40 electrical conduit and an old bait casting reel. I put a squid jig at the bottom of the sabiki just in case.20230816_215628.jpg
Line enters where stick is.
20230816_215650.jpg
Squid jig, wide spoon, or weight stops sabiki from tangling inside.

My sabiki rods are to short have to cut the jigs down only get 5/6 hooks instead of 8 for the weight to reel to tip

I was going to use the sched 40 but amazon was closer and reasonable with 3 day delivery-Great workable idea.
I had it left over from the house build.

Back