jigging rod recommendation

jlaffin

I'm looking for a decent jigging rod for bottom fishing. Mostly lingcod and rockfish. Any suggestions of which rod to buy would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Julian

Okuma Cedros are very good rod for the money. They go all the way to XXH. Sounds like you want a MH as stated or maybe a H. I know several guys who got them after I recommended them and they all love them. Medium price but very strong and a great action.

Last edited:
I've got a MH Trevala that I'll use for deeper water (120'+) as you can really feel the action, but it's a bit overkill for the average rockfish. I keep a cheapo light ugly stik around for that reason. For summer springs (20-80'), I prefer a rod with a little more give than the Trevala so I've ended up using a shorter trolling rod (freshwater Talora). I started using it to troll from the kayak, but after yanking the jig out of a few mouths with the Trevala, I switched and I really like how the Talora responds. I know, it's a bit unorthodox, but I find it handles springs really well.

I have a couple of ugly stik tiger elite 6’3” Talk about value… I wanna say they were under $50 a pop on sale at at cabelas. Very nice rods if you can find them

I tried a luhr Jensen halibut rod for a season and was happy with it , enough so I bought a second one. $130 at cabelas.

Trevala all the way, 6'6 MH
I saw one at my local tackle shop which was Trevala model TVC-66MH. Is this the model you are suggesting?

thank you. DAJ

I went into a real legit fishing store last year. I asked whats the best rod for jigging. Even though they had other good ones to tell me about, they still said nothing is better than Trevala ... and that was despite their having sold out of them at that time. So basically, I knew I couldn't go wrong with the Trevala

I went into a real legit fishing store last year. I asked whats the best rod for jigging. Even though they had other good ones to tell me about, they still said nothing is better than Trevala ... and that was despite their having sold out of them at that time. So basically, I knew I couldn't go wrong with the Trevala
Managed to score a pair from a place on the Island... they were kinda hard to find. Can't wait to put them to work this summer.

Shimano Grapplers are above a trevala in my opinion--pricier too!!
Spring fever, what Grappler would you recommend as there are many options. thanks. DAJ

I buy the rod on the weight it says on the blank. I use very roughly 80gm per hundred feet of depth as a rough guide to what weight I will fish-Right now I am in mex so I can't tell you which one it is but I seldom fish more than 160 on a grappler. If I go heavier I switch rods.
Spring fever, what Grappler would you recommend as there are many options. thanks. DAJ

thank you Spring fever :)

While I love catching salmon while jigging I myself couldn’t justify the cost of a Trevala rod for the odd time that we stop to jig. Most of our fishing time is spent trolling. I’ll be on the lookout for one of those Ugly Stik Tiger Elite rods to come up for sale

I recently switched all my non-halibut jigging rods from the regular Trevalas to Trevala PX split grip rods
https://fish.shimano.com/content/fi...himano_Product_Page.P-TREVALA_PX_CASTING.html
I am usuing the 6'3" M split grips TVXSC63M

I generally think that switching from one rod brand/type to another rarely nets me more fish, but these are truly revolutionary when it comes to bottom fishing. They are much lighter than than the regular Trevalas and much easier to handle with one hand. They have unbelievable power for the weight of the rod. The average fellow or lady can jig aggressively with them all day and be ready for quick hooksets. Pair these with a low pro levelwind like the new Tekotas and you have a rig that will greatly increase the bottom fish hook up rate.
I usually buy a rod here and there and have a mishmash of this and that on the boat. I had two of these last year. They worked so good that I bough a full set of them so that everybody will now have one.

Back