Island Fires

There are no facts, they were used in other places.
What facts do you have?
There are lots of facts about what lakes didn't planes can land in, how quickly they can refill their tanks, loads per hour etc.. on the balance sheet.. it's much, much more effective to use the new current arsenal.

There are lots of facts about what lakes didn't planes can land in, how quickly they can refill their tanks, loads per hour etc.. on the balance sheet.. it's much, much more effective to use the new current arsenal.
refill = 22 seconds
190 mph
Any sizable water body, most lakes in BC.
Continuous flights, no landing to refill, no airport needed.
Same engines as used in new modern made for tanker fire tankers

Who owns Conair anyway? Why does Coulson not get any contracts? Every time I hear of the lack of equipment, the millions spent, the out of control fires I wonder why the Canadian brand is not used, Coulson.

Many other aircraft require an airport and can only do 5 or 6 drops a day.

There are bigger ones out there now and the Mars, the last one is still air worthy but more of a museum now but still can fly. Must be frustrating for those in Port Alberni where the Mars is located and the fires still rage. there is plenty of water around Port Alberni.

I’ve been hearing mixed news on the June 24-25 opening. Is it for essential travel only? A friend told me, the transportation minister, rescinded his original statement, to allow all travel. Keeping in mind it’s alternating one lane, with long delays.

I fought a fire right next to Strathcona when timberwest was still part of Forest Industries Flying Tankers. The mars showed up and was picking up right out of buttle then dropping. it was amazing really. Then the bird dog dropped markers for us to put out the hot spots. That fire was effectively out in like a day.

We are going to put the debate about how to fight fires and the Mars etc. to rest. This thread is for info on the fire itself and the coinciding road closure.The rest of it has been noted and any more conversation about it here is useless. If you want to take the government to task for their choice to not use the Mars, go talk to the ministry.

We are going to put the debate about how to fight fires and the Mars etc. to rest. This thread is for info on the fire itself and the coinciding road closure.The rest of it has been noted and any more conversation about it here is useless. If you want to take the government to task for their choice to not use the Mars, go talk to the ministry.
I'm so confused why you feel you have to put an end to every discussion we have that doesn't fit within your thoughts about what we should be talking about. I appreciate hearing other people's thoughts on the matter.

I'm so confused why you feel you have to put an end to every discussion we have that doesn't fit within your thoughts about what we should be talking about. I appreciate hearing other people's thoughts on the matter.

You are fairly new to the forum so likely haven't seen past replies to this kind of query. There is no need for confusion as our posting guidelines cover off such things as if any content takes on a political overtone, which some of the posts here did, we correct the thread or remove it if necessary. This is a fishing forum and we strive to keep it focussed that way with the odd "light sided" thread that may not be entirely about fishing but won't lead to politically charged statements and fights. We also stop posts that are inflammatory or personal in nature. We understand that some people enjoy the constant back and forth and arguing on many topics, but that won't happen here, as there are plenty of places on the internet to find that behaviour. We also try to keep content on topic so threads don't veer off point to where members can't correlate the last post to the original topic. It has nothing to do with any personal thoughts on any given subject, we simply strive to create a forum that is respectful and focussed on what we do...fish! The day to day grind is aggravating enough and our members come here to escape that aggravation. We hear from many of our members that they like it this way and I hope you continue to enjoy it too!

Brian

The Ministry of Transportation, put out a news release yesterday. They said essential travel is “recommended “. June 24 or 25 is the date of opening, for single lane alternating. Hopefully things will move quickly to fully open the highway, so the affected communities can get back to normal.

And I'm sick of selfish people using any excuse on the Internet to argue for the sake of arguing.

I've seen a couple decent forums go under for just that reason.

The premier example of which is roadfly, that place imoliated like nothing I've seen before due to very lack lusture admin. Keeping a steady hand around here is why sfbc stays on track and doesn't eat itself alive. Sorry for the op, but I think the @Admin Strategy fits for the long term health of this amazing place.

In my profession, we are taking steps to try to mitigate the fire risk for clients in an area where the city councils insist every tree be preserved. Wait until a fire in the Squamish area works its way down the 99 to West Vancouver/Horseshoe Bay area. The property carnage will be terrible.

From a recent bulletin:

So what can be done to mitigate these issues? Firstly, REALTORS® should advise their purchasers to obtain home insurance policies as soon as possible in the transaction (ideally in conjunction with or before subject removal). Secondly, REALTORS® should insert subject clauses in favour of the purchaser for obtaining adequate insurance. Finally, Realtors should consider adding clauses into contracts of purchase and sale that contemplate extending the completion date if the purchaser’s mortgage is unable to fund due to active fires within the area or proximity to a fire of note.

When acting for sellers, it’s necessary to advise your clients to maintain their existing insurance coverage until after completion is confirmed in case the deal collapses. You don’t want your seller to be left without home insurance during wildfire season, as they may be unable to bind a new policy.

In my profession, we are taking steps to try to mitigate the fire risk for clients in an area where the city councils insist every tree be preserved. Wait until a fire in the Squamish area works its way down the 99 to West Vancouver/Horseshoe Bay area. The property carnage will be terrible.

From a recent bulletin:

So what can be done to mitigate these issues? Firstly, REALTORS® should advise their purchasers to obtain home insurance policies as soon as possible in the transaction (ideally in conjunction with or before subject removal). Secondly, REALTORS® should insert subject clauses in favour of the purchaser for obtaining adequate insurance. Finally, Realtors should consider adding clauses into contracts of purchase and sale that contemplate extending the completion date if the purchaser’s mortgage is unable to fund due to active fires within the area or proximity to a fire of note.

When acting for sellers, it’s necessary to advise your clients to maintain their existing insurance coverage until after completion is confirmed in case the deal collapses. You don’t want your seller to be left without home insurance during wildfire season, as they may be unable to bind a new policy.
REALTORS®... some heroes don't wear capes.

Sorry 😉. I couldn't help myself. I think it's great that's all being considered.

So is it actually confirmed one way or the other if once the highway is opened to single alternating traffic whether this is just for "essential" traffic or can anyone get in line and go through? I've seen conflicting information on this rather critical point.

The thing is it's been single lane to Tofino for what?, 5 years,until they finished Kennedy lake so what's the difference now at Cameron lake? Sure there's more traffic going to Port but the whole coast relies on the tourism and fishing there has to be compromise there IMO

Back