Island Fires

Tuesday June 13 Update

Let's start off with the good news...

"The Cameron Bluffs wildfire (V70600) is now classified as Being Held. At this stage, the wildfire is not likely to spread beyond predetermined boundaries under prevailing conditions.

At this point, crews will continue establishing control lines, assessing and falling danger trees where accessible and mop-up."
https://wildfiresituation.nrs.gov.bc.ca/incidents...

...and now, the bad news...

Highway 4 will be closed until at least next weekend, upon which it will open to single-lane alternating traffic for a "period of time" afterwards.
Timeline:

June 24-25 (Tentative) - Highway 4 re-opens to single lane alternating with mitigation measures. Still essential traffic only. Long delays are anticipated.

July 7 - Continue to monitor slope behaviour;

Mid-July (Tentative) - Full re-opening of Highway 4.

P23_CameronWildfire_Detour_V4-1583x2048.jpg

Eight changeable detour signs en route;
- 12 Port-a-potties;
- 4 Water trucks for dust control working 24/7;
- 2 Graders (with fire spotter) working 24/7;
- 30 Ministry staff and contractors on site;
- 4 information checkpoints with basic facilities
- 500 - 1000 vehicles per day traveling the detour route;
- Approximately 20% commercial traffic;
- 3 piloted vehicles in the convoy - upwards of 12 trucks in each convoy;

They don't want us non-essential types until both lanes re-open mid-July. Fingers crossed that temporary repairs can happen ahead of schedule as they did on Coq after the flood.
That is nowhere on the Tc info I read. Apparently they said that on the news but it's not written anywhere far as I can tell.

I'll be welcoming my charter guests. Call me greedy. I suspect the Pacific Rim is loosing 3+ million bucks a day. Place is probably operating at 25% of regular capacity. I'd be surprised if they put a request in for essential travel only when the highway opens. The Pac Rim is a one horse town and we make our money in 5 months, this being the third most important one.

That is nowhere on the Tc info I read. Apparently they said that on the news but it's not written anywhere far as I can tell.

I'll be welcoming my charter guests. Call me greedy. I suspect the Pacific Rim is loosing 3+ million bucks a day. Place is probably operating at 25% of regular capacity. I'd be surprised if they put a request in for essential travel only when the highway opens. The Pac Rim is a one horse town and we make our money in 5 months, this being the third most important one.

They are asking that people stay away at the moment, dont beleive its mandatory,
people are flying over...
My son and his sweetheart who lives in Alberni drove out to west coast for dinner tonight just for something to do...probably be the quietest and nicest drive he'll ever see on that highway

Are they going to be maintaining the alternative route still with grading and what not as well as the single lane? Also did they portion from port to bamfield ever get chip sealed?

They are asking that people stay away at the moment, dont beleive its mandatory,
people are flying over...
My son and his sweetheart who lives in Alberni drove out to west coast for dinner tonight just for something to do...probably be the quietest and nicest drive he'll ever see on that highway
Yes, although Tofino is not.

I understand the non essential travel advisory that's currently in place. I read nothing about continuing that when the highway opens to alternating traffic.

I’m assuming that we are not the only group being impacted by the highway closure into Port Alberni which from what I understand might be until June 24 at the earliest??
Booked into Bamfield on the 22nd but that looks like it’s not going to happen .Has anyone heard anything about a confirmed reopening date for the highway??

Yes, although Tofino is not.

I understand the non essential travel advisory that's currently in place. I read nothing about continuing that when the highway opens to alternating traffic.

Stated that #4 when reopened to single alternate traffic will be essential traffic only, detour will remain open looks like tentative mid july for a full reopen

Back