Towing boat- parksville to port Alberni

Has anyone snuck through the hwy 4 single lane road closure at Cameron lake with an over width boat? I’m trying to get to Ukee on Wednesday with a 10.5’ wide and Dont want to run it up from Sooke or Renfrew.
Can’t imagine at 4am the rocket scientists traffic controllers would even know what they’re looking at…let me know if anyone’s gotten through.
Thanks!

I went through with my small boat and saw an oversized pulled over and stopped from getting through. I think they are paying attention.

This was midday...maybe 4am would be different.
We were out a few weeks ago. Yeah, traffic control is there, early too. A 10'-6" haul will certainly get their attention. No pity. You will be turned back and good luck with doing that in a narrow lane! Maybe fines for no permit or flags, as well. So, your trip will be all the way back for a Renfrew launch, only much later.

Last edited:
Does anyone know definitively what the measure points are to determine your overall width? Is it fender to fender on the trailer, or beam of the boat, or just whatever is the widest point? I'm booked to go through in early September. Hoping they will be on schedule and it won't be an issue by then, but regardless I'd like to know if I am oversize or not. I think I'm right on the edge.

Yeah go to Renfrew. It’s the same distance or less, you just need good weather and your boat can handle most weather. I towed my boat and camper, through last week and it was tight. It does narrow especially over a bridge if I remember correctly. No one looked at my boat but my LOA is only 26, where a triple axle boat is going to look 2x bigger.

Does anyone know definitively what the measure points are to determine your overall width? Is it fender to fender on the trailer, or beam of the boat, or just whatever is the widest point? I'm booked to go through in early September. Hoping they will be on schedule and it won't be an issue by then, but regardless I'd like to know if I am oversize or not. I think I'm right on the edge.
Yes, widest point. Maximum allowable width is 2.6 meters. You may get by at 8'-7" but no way at over 10'.

Last edited:
Yes, widest point. Maximum allowable width is 2.6 meters. You may get by at 8'-7" but no way at over 10'.
Thanks. I'll be measuring today. Like I said, I suspect I'm right on the line - probably an inch or two either side. But will find out for sure today.

Back