Is This Red Tide?

Try to post a couple of pics here showing a bloom on the surface that is distinctly reddish in color and I'm just wondering if this is Red Tide?

DSC05708.jpg

DSC05707.jpg

This sign is from another area, that DFO has posted permanently, not sure if that means there is red tide all year or if their budget does not allow for testing anymore like the central areas of coastal BC

DSC05655.jpg

Yup looks like it to me.

I think they just leave those signs up everywhere now, covers there butt and dosnt cost anything.

I believe Red Tide is colorless. Those pics are probably a bloom of some kind. Seem to remember the same thing a couple of years back.

Its an aglae bloom (which is basically Red Tide) but not all are toxic, its caused by Phytoplankton or dinoflagellates.
That reddish/rust colour is called peridinin i believe?
Red tides wont last all year though, usually only when theres been heat for a extended period and calm water

Unfortunately these blooms are only going to get worse because of the rise of climate change, agriculture, sewage outflows, mining etc..

Yep, looks like it to me as well. It usually stacks up and gets more noticeable when the wind or currents pushes it up against docks or anything that traps/concentrates it.

Thanks folks for the info, last year we were digging clams around the corner from this spot and when we left, there was the same red streaks in the water, so we didn't eat the clams. However, our dog was licking some of the clams that we dug and then got really sick. As she was already up-there in age & ailing, she died from our camping/ outing adventure. Hit home hard....but I checked on-line before we left and there was no warning posted. However, warnings were posted on-line when we returned home....too late to save our dog.

Even if DFO permanently posts signs that indicate redtide warnings, I now heed the warning, better to be on the safe side.

If you have any shellfish that might be suspect but aren't sure, rub the meat on the inside of your lower kip. If you feel any numbness or tingling shortly after do not consume.

Looks exactly the same as algea blooms that happen in lower and central puget sound during the summer.

I don't think actual red tide is visible to the naked eye, but I've been wrong before. Better to be safe than sorry. If you have an ex-girlfriend that you don't like then let her try the clams first (just kiddin).

If you have an ex-girlfriend that you don't like then let her try the clams first (just kiddin).

You are sooo bad....but, I did get a chuckle from reading it :D

Back