Is a 6 horse enough?

Matty4x4

Thinking about running a 6 horse kicker on my 17 hourston. Just looking for some opinions on power and shaft length. It's a short shaft and I'm don't know if the 6 will be enough in the wind and tide. Any input would be appreciated.

i run a 5hp merc on my 17.5 and it performs well but in a strong tide and high wind siutation your prob going to need a 8 - 9.9hp outboard imo

ideal would be a long shaft as you can get it under the hull of the boat to push properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
used to fish a 6hp off our 16.5 campion and it did fine, until it was stolen.
We bought a 8hp and happy with that for sure, just that extra bit of juice!

6HP will do ya for regular work, anything more and you are comfy and have some in the bank

Run a 6hp Yamaha long leg on my 17.5" Campion. More than enough motor to push us around in the wind and waves off Renfrew. Easy on fuel and a lot lighter than the 9.9 mercs I've run til now. Only drawback is I can't find controls for this particular model year. (1999)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 228
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 228
I would prefer a long shaft. That's what i have now but the Honda has been giving me some issues. The other option I have is a remote 15 horse merc long shaft but I wonder if it's to much. Weighs in at 130 pounds.

I wonder if it's worth swapping the leg on the 6.

If your prop does not clear the bottom of your hull, it will not work worth a damn in reverse..pushing is ok
a 6 on your boat is not enough power to do anything but troll in calm seas
If my only choice was a 6 or a 15, I would go with the 15.
only guy I know with a Honda kicker, has had nothing but problems starting it and getting it to run smoothly consistently.
That's my 2 bits worth.

That's exactly the problem with the honda. I can troll for hours and it runs perfect go back to the dock and the next time out it won't run for crap. Usually all it takes is a carb adjustment but I shouldn't have to do that Avery couple trips.

I tried the 6 once and on a calm lake it pushes my boat about a half mile an hour slower than the 10 wide open but I've had my long shaft come out of the water trolling in some rough weather.

I ran a smaller one down in sooke and hated it honestly, and my DE was only 16 feet at the time. For a 17ft and up 8hp minimum... do not get a short shaft. Just remember the day your motor quits you will be needing a little extra. Its OK to troll around but think about being under no power with current. Get most hp you can put on... Also think resale. Lots of guys wont by the 6hp.. They will be looking for 9.9 and the 8's. 15hp is the ideal motor but that would be for a bigger boat...

That's just an opinion..

Keep in mind a 17 foot hourston is a fairly heavy boat with deep v...You will want the extra hp.

It really depends where you fish. If you fish South VI and the Race Rocks/Sooke area and its super moon currents you really want a 9.9HT on that 17 or at least an 8ht. We get some nasty nasty current. Remember it is not just your fishing motor it is your back up emergency motor. There are times the outer Secretary rips are so fast that in my boat with a 9.9ht wide open you are still going backwards or at best side to side but not forward and you need to start up the main to get you forward a few hundred yards where the 9.9HT will hold its own - just, at near wide open. I have trolled through the inside Secretary gap when the current and rip has it resembling a boiling raging river and that's with moderate wind. Granted it is not that often you get those conditions. One of my buddies finds the 8 HT is sufficient on his 16 Double Eagle for South VI both for safety and fishing but that is a smaller lighter boat. One of my older fishing buddies who has passed away, had a light weight 15 hp two stroke on his 17 foot glass boat. That is not to say that some don't get away with smaller motors but more is better and safer as long as the boat can handle the weight. A bigger motor does not have to work as hard, will last longer and be less likely to fail when you need it most and have to push it hard.

I have a short leg johnson 6 HP on my 18'. It works fine for trolling. We run about 50-60% throttle on it while trolling. The short leg is a little bit of a pain. When its rolling, it goes under a bit occasionally but never any internal damage. I would definitely get a long leg 8HP or 9.9 next go around but the price was right for mine ($0).

I used my pops 8HP Merc 2 stroke on the weekend and it weighs 30# more than mine I think. Bit of a pain to haul around if you take it on and off. A 4 stoke will weight around 100#.

I put a new 6 hp 4 stroke long shaft merc on my 18' center console aluminum after much consideration. it has enough power for my needs. I mostly troll with my big motor (a new 115hp etec) as I fish the mouth of the fraser and cap a fair bit so my need was more for a back up safety feature. the weight diff was huge for me as my back ain't what it used to be and I don't leave the motor on the boat. if i was buying the kicker to troll I would definitely have gotten the 8 or 10 hp 4 stroke, way less vibration than the 6 hp singles bangers. i think yamaha has a 2 cylinder 6 hp but it weighs the same as the 8 pretty much.

Back