iPad chart plotter setup

I got the HD version for $64.99. Sounds like it's better for the iPad and the other is more for an iPhone. They have a 7 day trial if you wanted to try the HD and see if it makes much difference.

Big problem with tablets is the screen doesn't have the brightness to good readability in direct sunlight. If your boat setup provides enough shade you'll be fine.

Thought about doing this same thing after I tried using the navionics app, but decided I want to wait until I have a slightly bigger boat with more protection before I mount my ipad to the dash somewhere.
Check out this bluetooth antenna, it's wireless so it doesn't use the port on the ipad up so u can keep the ipad plugged into power if it's an issue. It has decent battery life but can also be plugged in to a constant power source.
http://gps.dualav.com/explore-by-product/xgps150a/

When I set up my ipad this is The GPS that I chose. It works awesome. Very happy with it. Installed a USB receptacle on the dash and don't have to worry about it. It just works.

I have been using the iPhone version on my iPad and iPhone for 3 years now, it's awesome. Here r my observations;

Glare and mounting position: - if you have a roof or Bimini top and you pay attention to the angle you mount the ipad you should have no problems with reflections on the screen. When sitting at the helm and looking at the iPad, if the reflection points out the back of the boat or through a window you will have glare when it is bright out. BUT if the reflection points up to the roof of your boat you will not get bad glare or reflections ever. What I mean is if you put a mirror on the screen of your ipad And looked at it while driving your boat you would see your roof in the mirror. If you have no roof or Bimini ipad might not be the best option.

Confusion about the iPhone app being used on the iPad: - I have an iPad 4 with internal GPS. About 80% of the screen is usable with the iPhone app. It is just as clear as the iPad app but smaller. My buddy has the iPad app so we can compare both apps together.
image.jpg
I have used the iPhone app on an iPad mini also and you still only get 80% of the screen usable on the smaller mini screen.

The map adjusts to landscape or portrait on the iPhone app HOWEVER The menu only orients to portrait mode in iPhone app. iPad app adjusts menu to landscape also.
image.jpg
Also the speed display only shows in portrait not in landscape in iPhone app. iPad app shows speed in landscape and portrait.
image.jpg
Both the iPad and iPhone app are good value I think but I had iPhone only initially so got the iPhone app. It looks like we will have an annual renewal cost coming on these apps. iPhone annual renewal is $8.99. I guess iPad app will be more than that.

Never any problems with accuracy of the GPS and the sonarcharts are great. It is easy to toggle between sonarcharts and normal navionics chart. You can see examples of both above.

We have an older lowrance GPS fish finder onboard also. Navionics app is very intuitive and things like navigation and plotting a course is waaaaaay easier than on your normal boat GPS.

I also got the navigation in-app upgrade and some other one-time upgrades that are offered. My 1 year subscription expires in a month and I think I may lose sonarcharts then? This is a subtle change they seem to have made to their business model. Makes sense as how do you make money selling a one-time $20 app to a few boaters.
Hope this helps in your decisions on how to rig your boat.
Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 86
Last edited by a moderator:
I have been running iNavX. I have been having issues with the charting software. Tracks disappearing and chart points of interest too. I ran the navionics demo for a week and liked most of the features. The drawbacks I see are the inability to import/export tracks, waypoints and routes between the ipad and my plotter. The plus is the route drawing and sonar charts are awesome. If Navionics addressed these few issues it would be a hands down winner.

I really like having the IPad ,Bad Elf blue tooth and Nvionics HD app. And no,I don't have a cellular model IPad with a built in GPS.
My system works flawlessly all the time, but as a second chartplotter. The large screen is great for detail.
My HDS unit is the go to unit but it is nice to have a very good reliable backup in the IPad.
The Bad Elf Bluetooth is used by many pilots with IPad apps with no problems. The marine package work fo me, my location in my boat is fairly protected and I use a defender case in a ram mount.
I am an EBay junky and sourced out all my stuff in the off season which made the purchase very affordable. Just walking into a store and paying full retail is never an option for me.

Back