iPad chart plotter setup

Willyjim

I've been investigating options for using a chart plotter on my boat. It looks like a good way to do it would be with the Navionics app and charts on my iPad. I don't have cellular on my iPad so I'm looking at the Bad Elf GPS Bluetooth device. Does anyone have experience with this setup? I already have a Garmin 550C fishfinder. I also have a Garmin 76CS GPS hand held that I use for getting from one waypoint to another, but I don't really want to add charts with such a small screen. I know there is some pretty high tech and expensive equipment available, but is it really necessary just to track where I am on the charts?

Do yourself a favor and buy a dedicated plotter. You can get some basic units pretty cheap now that come with charts installed

The Navionics app is around 60-70 bucks with amazing detail, and easily managed updates. How would he be doing himself a favour buying a dedicated plotter that would likely cost double at the minimum and be only usable on his boat. An Ipad in a Ram mount in a Lifeproof case will do the job just fine. I use one as well as my HDS-5 which I can just leave full size for sonar now.

Thanks for the replies. I'm having a hard time justifying buying another dedicated device, if the ipad I use for so much else will work fine. And it's portable so I can peruse my charts and tracks whenever I want. Im not really sure why charts can cost a couple hundreds bucks for chart plotters, but the $65 app comes with charts for US and Canada. Must be a difference in quality, but I tried the App trial version, and they seemed fine.

BTW Bifmalibu, I have a 16' Arima Sea Chaser...

Navionics was way less then $65 when I got it on my iphone a few years ago. Might have been $15. Big price jump

Right on Willy, Arima makes awesome boats. I think the charts are great. The sonar charts feature shows amazing contour lines and has tons of information. As far as the chart plotting, I think it works just fine and is very intuitive. Maybe some others can weigh in with any negatives to get some balance of opinion.

The Navionics app is around 60-70 bucks with amazing detail, and easily managed updates. How would he be doing himself a favour buying a dedicated plotter that would likely cost double at the minimum and be only usable on his boat. An Ipad in a Ram mount in a Lifeproof case will do the job just fine. I use one as well as my HDS-5 which I can just leave full size for sonar now.
Just my opinion but whatever works for you. The way i look at it you have to buy the app at 60-70 bucks then you need the blue tooth antenna which is gonna be another cost plus a life proof case which isn't cheap either. Then you need a way to mount it so it doesn't fall down in a chop and crack the screen so a ram mount is gonna cost something too. Then once you have everything you have to rely on wireless things communicating with each other and the batteries not going dead etc etc. All I'm saying is there's cheap chart plotters now that don't break the bank and they come with charts loaded and they are designed to do the job that you are wanting it to do. Not saying you are wrong with the iPad but i just think a dedicated chart plotter is worth the bucks.

I run an I pad with a bad elf.......it is sick. Its not my primary plotter but I'm sure it could be if i wanted it to be. let me know if you have any questions. avionics on the i pad is sick as well u can carry it and look at the charts anywhere you go......take a break at work and look for a new fishing hole or pinnacle or better route.......so nice. I recommend this setup to anyone. Not sure what the plus minus is on the gps though. I was going through a narrow passage once and noticed the plotter had me on shore when i was mid channel.....this passage was only 40 feet wide though. I also had the elf under my aluminum hard top and buried under stuff. If it had a better sky view it may have picked up a few more sats and gave a more accurate reading.

cheers,

wooly

Thought about doing this same thing after I tried using the navionics app, but decided I want to wait until I have a slightly bigger boat with more protection before I mount my ipad to the dash somewhere.
Check out this bluetooth antenna, it's wireless so it doesn't use the port on the ipad up so u can keep the ipad plugged into power if it's an issue. It has decent battery life but can also be plugged in to a constant power source.
http://gps.dualav.com/explore-by-product/xgps150a/

You can't rely on it as a primary plotter. Anyone who took ios 8.3 update was down since May. I have just got my blutooth gps working again with iso 8.4. It is nice when it is working. Not a great screen when the sun is shining but still an big screen compared to my HDS7.

Try the Garmin Glo blu tooth receiver. It pick up all the North American satellites, and Glosnose, the Russian satellites. I have used it with an IPAD, as a back up unit. Always under cover.
Stosh

Yeah, that's the reason for the Bad Elf or Dual GPS antenna. I thought about just upgrading my iPad to cellular one, but that's about $140 more than wifi only anyway, so unless you want it for some other reason, might as well just buy a separate antenna. Plus, apparently the antenna is more accurate. And the antenna can be used with other devices too, like my phone.

Still haven't figured out why the charts are $200 for a dedicated chart plotter, and only $65 with the iPad app?

You are far better off using an external antenna compared to the built in one included some models of tablets, including the IPads that I have. I have no experience with the Bad Elf or the Dual, but the Garmin Glo is great. Many small plane pilots use it with their IPADS.
Stosh

The GLO does look like the best deal. Has both GPS and GLONASS, decent battery life and good price. Looks like with Bad Elf you'd need the PRO Plus for GLONASS ($250), and the Dual is GPS only and shorter battery life.

By the time I priced out the Bad Elf, life proof case, ram mount, and USB port for the boat it was about the same price to buy a Lawrence HDS-5 and that way I got a high quality fish finder with it. The navionics is fantastic for navigation but the iPad itself has some limitations I have found. Don't get me wrong, the iPad and app work great, but not AS great as a stand alone unit built for punishment.

ThreePer

I just bought the Garmin GLO at West Marine for $120. It paired up easily with my iPad and I'm now live on the Navionics chart. Can't wait to get out on the water with it tomorrow. Lots of helpful feedback on this thread...thanks!

Navionics was way less then $65 when I got it on my iphone a few years ago. Might have been $15. Big price jump

GDW, there is an HD version recommended for the iPad for $64.99, and a non-HD version more suitable for an iPhone, now $16.99.

After fishing the waterfront today, I'm totally impressed with this setup! iPad, Garmin Glo, Navionics app/charts. Especially useful in the fog today. Was able to email the track to my fishing partner after, and he could load it in Google Earth! Dont have a mount for it yet, but it props up nicely on my dash when trolling. Exactly what I was looking for...

Willyjim,
Glad you liked the Glo. I many use it on roads, but as a back up, it's great on the boat.
Which navionics version do you have?I have the basic one that I paid under $20 for a few years ago.
Thanks
Stosh

Back