New VHF - add AIS Option?

the force

Crew Member
New to me boat has no VHF or antenna so am starting from scratch here. Was about to purchase a Standard Horizon GX1400 for $200, however it does not support NMEA2000 (to link to my Garmin Ecomap plotter) to add location for DSC. So next cheapest appears to be a Icom-330 with external GPS ($280). In my mind transmitting location is a no brainer for $80 more.

That said, I started looking into AIS - I don't have radar and it is not in the foreseeable future. I know AIS isn't a replacement for radar, however it may be a nice add-on (intermediate step) from the safety side? Currently appears the most economic route is the SH GX2400 ($600 on sale) which will be connected through NMEA 2000 to my Garmin (will already have a NMEA backbone for fuel sensor). Unfortunately this set-up won't transmit my location, that appears to be another $700 add on which I don't believe is worth it for me at this time (less than a handful of ocean trips per year currently). Boat is aluminum so I believe should be picked up easily by other's radar (if they have it and are paying attention).

Yeh, nah or anything else I should consider here? New to me so open to feedback or corrections if I'm talking out my butt. :)

Last edited:
If you ever get caught in the fog, AIS is a real benefit. You will know at least where the big commercial guys are. Radar is the gold standard of course but i use both in a fog situation.

DSC is a radio function, you need not an nmea network for it to work. but will need to apply for an mmsi number.(it's easy) and should be a priority, it's cheap to do.
An additional position is handy on the network if you choose to go the nmea 2000 route as it adds redundancy. ( I have 4 different sources of position)

If you have garmin plotter, AIS receive only is a great idea as it will display AIS targets on the plotter or Radar.
I sometimes consider not to transmit AIS position as TC is handing out tickets based on AIS data transmitted from a vessel regarding speed or entering a zone such as pender. Seems like investing in your own penalty?
I run Garmin 215's one with AIS receive, one without all on an nmea network. You don't need to go that fancy. Look at an ICOM 330 maybe or similar with DSC, You can add ais receive at anytime later and split off the antenna for a couple hun

, You can add ais receive at anytime later and split off the antenna for a couple hun

Not to veer too far off topic, but anyone familiar with spitting and an ais receiver. I went down a few rabbit holes, some say no issues others say don’t do it.

@the force I think you’ll be fine with simple hooked up to your plotter via nmea 0183. I think chandler just had some gps units on for only a few bucks more then the non gps. Putting the extra $ in the bank to save for radar if fog is the plan.

Not to veer too far off topic, but anyone familiar with spitting and an ais receiver. I went down a few rabbit holes, some say no issues others say don’t do it.

@the force I think you’ll be fine with simple hooked up to your plotter via nmea 0183. I think chandler just had some gps units on for only a few bucks more then the non gps. Putting the extra $ in the bank to save for radar if fog is the plan.
I've done it for 20 years with an emtrak r100. No problemo.
You could add an isolated antenna if you wish but we're trying to stay simple here. Using NMEA 0183 instead of 2000 is probably a great idea too

Last edited:
As the others have said, an AIS receiver is excellent as it let’s you see the large and fast commercial traffic early and even lets you know if you’re on a collision course if it’s connected to your plotter. I’ve been using one for years. They are also inexpensive and easy to install, even without NMEAA 2000.

i don’t think a splitter is worth it. I added a short antenna for my AIS and it sees ships from many miles away. https://ca.binnacle.com/p5492/Pacific-Aerials-VHF-Pro-Range-SeaMaster-Antenna-18"/product_info.html

Running a simrad rs-40 w/AIS single 8’ antenna to 2 hds units through nmea2000 no issues works great. Screen will get pretty cluttered with targets around vancouver area. limits of approach alarm was annoying at first but easy to reset.

If you decide to get AIS transmit capability, consider a 5W class B+ unit. There are three categories of transmitters, A, B and an upgraded B class with higher transmit power called B+ or B SODTMA. Basically, class A is out of the question for most recreational boaters, stand alone units, physically large, ~$2k. Standard class B is 2W transmit power, only seen by local receivers. B+ is 5W, from what I understand more reliably picked up by the satellite AIS monitoring systems so your position can be seen even if there are no local receiving vessels. I see it as a useful safety feature if a person is operating in remote areas. Helpful in the event of a missing persons search, a vessels position can be tracked remotely and the route history viewed.

The em-trak B953 is a good option. It's 5w B+ with built in splitter, NMEA2000, small and waterproof.

Considering that TC has been issuing tickets based on remote AIS observations I wouldn't give them the opportunity going forward by transmitting a position when sportsfishing
OK, I'm not trying to stir the pot, but why would TC issue a ticket for having your AIS transmitted?

FD

For a small boat don't bother with transmitting AIS. Just have a receiver and save up for a radar - but IMHO only if you are going to frequently operate (1) in the fog, (2) for than 5+ miles offshore or run at night. Otherwise why do you need a radar? Unless you got $ you want to spend and/or very safety minded?

Agree with avoiding AIS transmitting as this is one way the Feds can patrol the SKRW zones.

Thanks for all the responses team very informative!
As the others have said, an AIS receiver is excellent as it let’s you see the large and fast commercial traffic early and even lets you know if you’re on a collision course if it’s connected to your plotter. I’ve been using one for years. They are also inexpensive and easy to install, even without NMEAA 2000.

i don’t think a splitter is worth it. I added a short antenna for my AIS and it sees ships from many miles away. https://ca.binnacle.com/p5492/Pacific-Aerials-VHF-Pro-Range-SeaMaster-Antenna-18"/product_info.html
DSC is a radio function, you need not an nmea network for it to work. but will need to apply for an mmsi number.(it's easy) and should be a priority, it's cheap to do.
An additional position is handy on the network if you choose to go the nmea 2000 route as it adds redundancy. ( I have 4 different sources of position)

If you have garmin plotter, AIS receive only is a great idea as it will display AIS targets on the plotter or Radar.
I sometimes consider not to transmit AIS position as TC is handing out tickets based on AIS data transmitted from a vessel regarding speed or entering a zone such as pender. Seems like investing in your own penalty?
I run Garmin 215's one with AIS receive, one without all on an nmea network. You don't need to go that fancy. Look at an ICOM 330 maybe or similar with DSC, You can add ais receive at anytime later and split off the antenna for a couple hun
I do think I’ll get AIS as a freighter coming out of the fog freaks me out.

If I was going to add AIS in the future, it appears a simple AIS receiver and splitter is around $600 (unless I’m looking in the wrong places) , in which case I may as well just spend the money now and get an all in one radio for the same price.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but an all in one until like the SH gx2400 can utilize a single antenna with no splitter required? I went through the manual and it didn’t indicate a second antenna or splitter was required.

For a small boat don't bother with transmitting AIS. Just have a receiver and save up for a radar - but IMHO only if you are going to frequently operate (1) in the fog, (2) for than 5+ miles offshore or run at night. Otherwise why do you need a radar? Unless you got $ you want to spend and/or very safety minded?

Agree with avoiding AIS transmitting as this is one way the Feds can patrol the SKRW zones.
I like your logic, I can find better things to spend $2k on than radar, though would like to clarify #2. If >5 miles off shore what is the driver for radar, or just that it is a longer run and fog could role in?

Thanks for all the responses team very informative!

I do think I’ll get AIS as a freighter coming out of the fog freaks me out.

If I was going to add AIS in the future, it appears a simple AIS receiver and splitter is around $600 (unless I’m looking in the wrong places) , in which case I may as well just spend the money now and get an all in one radio for the same price.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but an all in one until like the SH gx2400 can utilize a single antenna with no splitter required? I went through the manual and it didn’t indicate a second antenna or splitter was required.
I have the one antenna for my gx2200 and don’t believe there are two inputs. What chartplotter are you planning to run it with? Might be worth checking that it has ais input capability.

I run this one. Contecting it was a pain as I have a newer chartplotter hds carbon bud now it works great especially on seeing other boats on tuna days and even Swiftsure. But if you aren’t planning to get a radar it’s a bit of overkill. PS they ship UPS so try to charge a brokerage fee https://www.westmarine.com/standard...x-ais-gps-fixed-mount-vhf-radio-15088222.html
Yeah, the 2400 is the updated version of this model though some decent saving on this 2200. Was there anything specific that made connecting to the plotters a pain, aside from running the wire cleanly? I am assuming it is just a nmea drop cable to connect into backbone?

I have the one antenna for my gx2200 and don’t believe there are two inputs. What chartplotter are you planning to run it with? Might be worth checking that it has ais input capability.
Thanks, yeah I’m pretty sure. It’s a Garmin Echomap chrip 9xsv (5 or 6 years old). Can’t find my manual but everything online says ais and NMEA 0183 or 2000 compatible.

Back