18'5 Double Eagle Crack

I wouldn’t get too concerned about that crack. That joint takes a lot of stress, particularly when trailering, and the fibreglass has nowhere to absorb it. That raised transom and kicker bracket will also increase torque. My DE has some hairline cracks in the same spot. I just sealed it up and pretend it’s not there.

I would definitely want to figure out the extent for sure. Prob would not venture out to far before I did, but that’s just me
You wouldn’t have liked it out in my old 87’15.5 hourston with a 70 four stroke on it. Wasn’t much I’d slow down for and the entire back of splashwell was cracked. Ran it for years like that, sold it like that for $8k back in the early 2000’s. Little bastid is prolly still pounding around somewhere original guts...

I have the same boat and I think it has a long leg on the 150 Yam.,and the aluminum was added to accomodate it.The 150 4-stroke Yamaha's are great motors but really a bit too heavy for these boats.With the 150 and a 9.9 HT kicker there is very little transom above waterline.I moved the motor cable/hydraulic steering hole up 6" on mine so water wouldn't ever enter the boat from there.Look at his picture with the cable holes,way too low.And the kicker mounted like that may have caused the crack in board of the transom.,won't let water into the transom,but still not good,

If it were me, I’d remove the raised kicker bracket, chase the crack with a dremel and fill it with thickened epoxy. Can then do the same with cabosil thickened gel and wet sand lightly with 800grit. keep your eye on it after if it continues you have a bigger problem going on.

You wouldn’t have liked it out in my old 87’15.5 hourston with a 70 four stroke on it. Wasn’t much I’d slow down for and the entire back of splashwell was cracked. Ran it for years like that, sold it like that for $8k back in the early 2000’s. Little bastid is prolly still pounding around somewhere original guts...
Ya that the ones you see in the morning upside down still tied up to the dock lol
as I get older I tend to be more on the safety side then the hard core fishing side, lots of boats at the marina I fish out of I would not go fishing in period

Ya that the ones you see in the morning upside down still tied up to the dock lol

as I get older I tend to be more on the safety side then the hard core fishing side, lots of boats at the marina I fish out of I would not go fishing in period
Really nice boat. Wish it were mine. I wouldn't worry about the transom. Double Eagle are among the best boats ever made!
Give the motor a good shake when it is tilted. You shouldn't see any movement in the transome other than the whole boat shaking.

I have an old 70's double eagle. There's been stress cracks in the same spot on mine for 5 years. The cracks didn't get any bigger over time. Transom on mine probably needs replacing. I don't think your boat will fall apart because of one little crack? I'd put some temporary flexible sealant over it for a short term patch. I put 7 layers of fiberglass on the cracks this weekend. Hopefully it will hold up for a few more years then maybe I'll do the transom.
20210606_111748.jpg

Back