Inboard and winter fishing

The Rodfather

Does anyone fish their inboard year round without winterizing? I bought a boat two years ago murcruiser 5.7ltr freshwater cooled exhaust. I believe the block is antifreeze loop. In the past I had an inboard and just fished it the same year round no worries. Last year under the advice of a friend I winterized the boat. I really missed getting out for winter springs. Does it make a difference if you Moore the boat vs on the trailer in the driveway?

5 years i had my 5.0L at burrard and i never winterized it

I have mine on trailer. All I do is drain manifold and then drain fresh water side of heat exchanger. I don't winterize as I am using it all year. Some guys put lightbulb or heater in the engine compartment etc also. I think having it on a trailer in winter is better...

I use mine year round and it is moored in Sidney .I have a bilge heater for the really cold days and so far no problems.

I used to have an inboard, and kept a incandescent lightbulb on during cold periods. Can’t recall the wattage but prob something like 60 watts. I used the boat throughout the winter.

Put a light or some safe heat close to the oil heat exchanger.
Warm oil makes your engine happier to start in the cold.

With the commander I have plugs in the engine compartment and I left one of those marine grade heaters in there set on the "just above freezing" setting last winter when it got really cold. My understanding is that being in the water is better because the boat is sitting in above freezing temp water. Like an ice cold heating blanket, slightly warmer than the outside air.

I have mine on a trailer and use it a fair bit during the winter months. For an issue other than freezing, I drain the salt water side of the heat exchanger and exhaust elbow after each use (2 minute job on my little diesel) and I place a heater in the engine compartment just as a precaution. It has a setting where it kicks in when temp drops to around +3C. Only a small engine compartment so only kicks in for a short time when needed. 5 years and all is well so will continue doing it.

keep fresh air rolling through the cab, carbon monoxide can roll in the back and fill a cabin top to bottom.

Back