Motors NOT winterized cuz I'm fishing, .... worried about freezing on cold nights

TinnyTime

Hi guys,

I keep my boats outdoors and use them all winter so I've never winterized my boats.
(I'm in Victoria, so fairly mild usually).
Boats on a trailer in my driveway.

It usually doesn't get below zero here, ............ but may occasionally.
Sometimes I worry about cold snaps that might cause damage to the block...... freezing, cracking etc.
I've kept my boats outdoors like this for two seasons, no issues so far.
Should I be worried ?

What do you guys do for a "quick winterize" to get thru a freak cold snap ?
Is there a way to put antifreeze into the cooling passages ? or drain the water from the cooling passages ?

I've got a Yamaha 150 and a Yamaha 50

Thanks in advance !

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I keep my boats outdoors and use them all winter so I've never winterized my boats.

Sometimes I worry about cold snaps that might cause damage to the block...... freezing, cracking etc.
Should I be worried ?

Is there a way to put antifreeze into the cooling passages ? or drain the water from the cooling passages ?

Thanks in advance !
Trailer or moored?

Google around on using compressed air for clearing the cooling passages. Or if you're on the hard, just run it up with rv coolant done.

I worry about this as well but have never had a problem. As Oceanmaster offered. For really severe cold weather -7 or beyond I will wrap a moving blanket around it as well just for insurance if I've been out a day or two before the fall in temperature. We usually don't experience these severe snaps for more than two or three days. Also as ab1752 offered use a compressor and move some air through the system prior to wrapping.

Hi guys,

Boats on a trailer in my driveway.

Should I be worried ?

Thanks in advance !
I dry fire mine for just 2 seconds or so on trailer while motors trimmed down. Haven’t had any issues. Seems to blow out any residual water.

I dry fire mine for just 2 seconds or so on trailer while motors trimmed down. Haven’t had any issues. Seems to blow out any residual water.

I usually leave the motor's flush port open, in case that helps to allow expansion if there WAS to be any freezing

I worry about this as well but have never had a problem. As Oceanmaster offered. For really severe cold weather -7 or beyond I will wrap a moving blanket around it as well just for insurance if I've been out a day or two before the fall in temperature. We usually don't experience these severe snaps for more than two or three days. Also as ab1752 offered use a compressor and move some air through the system prior to wrapping.
What benefit is there to wrapping the motor in a moving blanket?

150 Yamaha's in a real winter. There are winterization steps taken to prevent corrosion from long term storage. But as far as freezing goes, they are simply trimmed all the way down, then they self drain. Because I have covers I store tilted for ease of mobility around my driveway.

Simply put, I would trim all the way down, let the water drain, then leave in a position that no water will get into the lower unit.

Attachments

• IMG_1286.JPG
    IMG_1286.JPG
    299.2 KB · Views: 54
150 Yamaha's in a real winter. There are winterization steps taken to prevent corrosion from long term storage. But as far as freezing goes, they are simply trimmed all the way down, then they self drain. Because I have covers I store tilted for ease of mobility around my driveway.

Simply put, I would trim all the way down, let the water drain, then leave in a position that no water will get into the lower unit.
Yoeuch ! theres some snow

Thanks for the advice

Motor down is all you have to do...it doesn't matter if there is a tiny bit of water left and it freezes so long as it has room to expand.

the other thing to worry about is corrosion on cylinder walls from condensation .... If I weren't to use the motor for a couple months due to bad weather.

thinking a shot of fogging oil into the intake just as the motor is shutting off

I prefer to start once a month and run it up to temperature, move the oil around, covers bearings, cylinders etc. Tells you how the batteries are doing and if there are any problems better to know now when not in use than hit the key just before the season and have to scramble to get it fixed. Especially as most people discover issues this way and the shops get busy and you are likely going to wait.

What benefit is there to wrapping the motor in a moving blanket?
same as mulching your garden for the winter, it'll help a bit but not necessary imho. mines on a trailer, if I'm using it even once a month or so I do nothing, motor tilted down, if not using it I'll do the engine fog process for my etec, pretty simple to do.

same as mulching your garden for the winter, it'll help a bit but not necessary imho. mines on a trailer, if I'm using it even once a month or so I do nothing, motor tilted down, if not using it I'll do the engine fog process for my etec, pretty simple to do.
The ETEC auto fogging function is pretty nice feature

Back