Important Victoria & Area SFAB Halibut Mtg Nov. 27

We (not area17) the anglers of 19/20 don't want the whale watching alliance it is that simple.

I’m an area 19/20 fisher and I’m NOT of the same opinion as you. Nor are any of the fishers in my circle of fishing friends. Never once have I ever heard anybody (except the odd person here) say the alliance was bad.

The SVIAC has done a lot of great work, but when they got in bed with the whale watchers that is where I jumped ship. I will still support them but just in a different ways. I do agree that these different groups need to get more on board with social media if they truly want to move forward. Totally agree with UkeeDreamin these groups need to get out of the dark ages.

“I am tired of you guys down there who think you were there 30 years ( earn your stripes) are telling the majority of us younger generations of fisherman to be quiet on this subject. How do you ever expect people to show up if you won't listen to anyone's concerns?”

This, in a nutshell, is why the SFAB/C model doesn’t accurately reflect the ideas, interests and/or values of the vast majority of rec anglers who aren’t engaged in the current process. The local “fish and game club” approach may have appealed to the baby-boom and older generations, as well as reflected the lack of technology to engage a wider audience back when this approach was initiated, but this approach doesn’t appeal to or meet the needs of younger generations.

I would wager that the vast majority of rec anglers under the age of 50, and a good portion of those older, would prefer web-based dissemination of info by DFO to all license holders, on-line Skype or Go-To meetings when there are significant proposed changes and on-line voting on the options related to those changes. The International Pacific Halibut Commission, Oregon Fish and Game and Washington Fish and Game adopted web-based platforms to engage their entire communities for well over a decade now. It’s 2018 for crying-out-loud, it’s embarrassing and shameful that Canada and BC are still locked in the dark-ages.

Cheers!

Ukee
Probably because some people want to keep it that way. Lets get into the 20th Century.

The SVIAC has done a lot of great work, but when they got in bed with the whale watchers that is where I jumped ship. I will still support them but just in a different ways. I do agree that these different groups need to get more on board with social media if they truly want to move forward. Totally agree with UkeeDreamin these groups need to get out of the dark ages.
I seen them go from 2 boats out of Steveston to 8 in less than five years chasing whales. And thats just out of one location.

I feel for you guys and your fight to keep your halibut season, Being from Washington state and halibut fishing all my life, I truly feel your pain.

I’m an area 19/20 fisher and I’m NOT of the same opinion as you. Nor are any of the fishers in my circle of fishing friends. Never once have I ever heard anybody (except the odd person here) say the alliance was bad.

I am also absolutely FOR this alliance and for any alliance with any reasonable group for that matter as we can need any help we can get, for plain numbers and more so for dollars. And many of my buddies feel that way too except my good old friend Jerrod! lol

I am also absolutely FOR this alliance and for any alliance with any reasonable group for that matter as we can need any help we can get, for plain numbers and more so for dollars. And many of my buddies feel that way too except my good old friend Jerrod! lol

I can see this is now getting very personal with this comment. Come on guys. My comments aren't personal, and it is the feeling shared by many. Wouldn't you want to know why?

Maybe ask yourself why would out of anyone would I be feeling this way? Why would you lose my support out of anyone?

Last edited:
While you may not agree that whale watchers be allowed to visit fishing closed area's,
I'm pretty sure they would make a better ally than enemy.
Their industry is very well backed financially, unlike our own recreational fishery.
You can bet if they are shut down, they will demand we are as well.
This is an issue that can't be fought alone.

Please come out and give you input and ideas to proposed halibut fishing options and recommendations. Now is the time to provide your input if this is important to you!

NOTICE OF IMPORTANT VICTORIA AND AREA SFAB MEETING:

To cover remaining agenda items from previous fall SFAB meeting

WHAT : Victoria, Sidney, Sooke Area SFAB Committee Meeting
(OPEN TO ANGLING COMMUNITY AND THE PUBLIC)

AGENDA: Halibut 2019 TAC Expectation and Committee Guidance on 2019 Season
(See attached Chart)
- DFO Fall 2018 Regional Updates
- Creel Verification Project - Trailer Counting 2018 + Camera Info + Angler DNA
Collection

WHEN:
Tuesday November 27th, 2018 (7:00 p.m.- 9 p.m.)

WHERE: Esquimalt Anglers Association, 1101 Munro St, Victoria BC V9A 5P2

NOTES: Please Review Attached Documents for Halibut 2019 TAC and Options.
- If you cannot attend the meeting please respond to my email: RyanC.SFAB@gmail.com

Regards,
Ryan Chamberland
Victoria Committee Chair
Sport Fishing Advisory Board
(250) 858-3611
RyanC.SFAB@gmail.com
I plan on attending this meeting but would suggest someone confirm the date as the title of the thread lists the date as Nov. 29th and not the 27th, I suspect that the 27th is correct but please confirm.
...Rob

The main issue here is....do you want your reps using their limited resources and time to fight to get the whales watchers, the navy, cruise ships, freighters out of the closed area so we feel better about being picked on...or do you want them to focus only on getting the 400m bubble implemented and the closed areas removed so we have all our favorite fishing spots open again? Personally I won't waste a second lobbying for the 1st. but will fight to my last breath if needed for the 2nd.

I think it would be the 27th as well as that is what the chair wrote. Whole In The Water created the thread title and likely made an error.

While you may not agree that whale watchers be allowed to visit fishing closed area's,
I'm pretty sure they would make a better ally than enemy.
Their industry is very well backed financially, unlike our own recreational fishery.
You can bet if they are shut down, they will demand we are as well.
This is an issue that can't be fought alone.

Bingo, Scott you nailed it. In this battle the deck is heavily stacked against us. If it was not so we wouldn't be in the hard place (soon to get harder) that we are now. We need every reasonable ally we can get to help provide fish for orcas to eat, or you can pretty much kiss reasonable salmon rec salmon fishing goodbye around south Vancouver Island. IMO this pissing match against the whale watching industry is misguided and a waste of our time and resources when they are (1) willing to work with us, (2) they have substantial resources and (3) there are much more obvious and dangerous sectors and groups out there that we need to fight against. If we start telling how other sectors have to be managed then they will start demanding how we are managed and move that we are increasingly shut down as a easy political solution.

Most of all we need to STOP fighting amongst ourselves. No war was ever won when the army spends a good portion of its time shooting its own soldiers! Time to stop being thin skinned and short sighted, we need to keep the long term, big picture in view and work together for us to be successful!

Last edited:
We all have our opinions, and many of us like to share them on a forum like this. This is good and why forums like this exist. However I think if we are honest we will agree that few of us, if any can say they speak for all the anglers of a particular location. Unless of course a formal vote is

Bingo, Scott you nailed it. In this battle the deck is heavily stacked against us. If it was not so we wouldn't be in the hard place (soon to get harder) that we are now. We need every reasonable ally we can get to help provide fish for orcas to eat, or you can pretty much kiss reasonable salmon rec salmon fishing goodbye around south Vancouver Island. IMO this pissing match against the whale watching industry is misguided and a waste of our time and resources when they are (1) willing to work with us, (2) they have substantial resources and (3) there are much more obvious and dangerous sectors and groups out there that we need to fight against. If we start telling how other sectors have to be managed then they will start demanding how we are managed and move that we are increasingly shut down as a easy political solution.

Most of all we need to STOP fighting amongst ourselves. No war was ever won when the army spends a good portion of its time shooting its own soldiers! Time to stop being thin skinned and short sighted, we need to keep the long term, big picture in view and work together for us to be successful!

I think the best way to stop fighting would be to broadly share all the information from all the different SFAC. Every area has its own issues and lots of the issues are also interconnected.

I dont agree with you often Whole but this time your bang on, some of you really dont know whats going on with the whale watching community . lets move ahead say 3 years for **** and giggles. when DFO want to shut all of fishing down and hold on wait the group called SVIAC did a net pen for the last 6 years releasing and raising fish and fin clipped half a million fish. for the whales and all user groups hhhhhmmm WHO do you think helped us out the most? . WHO was beside myself and other helping build pens feed the fish etc??? who was there to help infront of cameras?..... I know the answer . do what you want but remember what I wrote(........ NOT alot of fisherman came to sooke to help in this thing as "sooke is so far to drive to" or help with the financial aspect THEY did . You are blaming the wrong group the DFO is to blame and pointing fingers to certain people really isnt the answer , its the opposite.

The fury being directed at the whale watchers will do nothing to help our fishery.

Everyone sit back and pretend they (the Whale Watchers) got excluded from the area 19 and 20 closures . What would be different? We would not be fishing second or third rock, or the Pender Bluffs, that much is for sure.

The whale watching associations have supported the largest net pen project on the South Island, because they want the same thing as us fishermen:

More fish in the water.

Good meeting tonight. A lot of constructive consensus. Very functional group despite what was inferred here before. A lot of unknowns ahead of us and our fishery but I feel the steering wheel is in capable hands with our two co-chairs and their supporters.

Good meeting tonight. A lot of constructive consensus. Very functional group despite what was inferred here before. A lot of unknowns ahead of us and our fishery but I feel the steering wheel is in capable hands with our two co-chairs and their supporters.

x2 I agree. Productive meeting with good discussions and good leadership with our new chair. Lots of challenges ahead for our sector so need to stay focused on the big picture and stay united in our fight for recreational fishing!

The fury being directed at the whale watchers will do nothing to help our fishery.

Everyone sit back and pretend they (the Whale Watchers) got excluded from the area 19 and 20 closures . What would be different? We would not be fishing second or third rock, or the Pender Bluffs, that much is for sure.

The whale watching associations have supported the largest net pen project on the South Island, because they want the same thing as us fishermen:

More fish in the water.
I don’t think the fury is being directed at the Whale Watchers, but rather the hypocrisy of the regulations and the attempted explanations given by DFO. We were told the regulations were to protect Spring Salmon and to create quiet areas for the whales to feed.

The DFO solution was a total finfish closure in areas like Pender Bluffs. When asked why it wasn’t just a Spring Non Retention area as is the case in nearby areas, we were told they also wanted rec fishermen out of the area because of noise interference! The hypocrisy was in singling out just one user group, and I believe that’s what started people questioning how Whale Watching and quiet feeding areas could co exist, while trolling and quiet feeding areas couldn’t, not to mention no real restrictions on commercial traffic and transiting yachts. I believe the noise issue was nothing short of bogus and an excuse for a total closure as opposed to a targeted one.

I think we all know DFO was making up reasons for how the closures were determined and implemented on the fly! I suggest the reason we had fin fish closures and an all out ban on rec fishing vessels had nothing to do with vessel noise but was all about ease of enforcement. Shut here down completely and enforcement becomes much easier! No need to check anyone’s catch, they can’t even be in the area.

Totally agree that from an acoustic noise in the closed area perspective just kicking us out makes no sense....but the whale watchers weren't responsible for that happening ....the previous fisheries minister was.

Back