Important Victoria & Area SFAB Halibut Mtg Nov. 27

Searun, the terms of reference for the entire SFAB process is that the primary user shall have the deciding vote at the table. That means the reps will be 50% from the secondary users (industry - guides, lodge owners, manufacturers etc) and 50% from primary (Joe fishers) with the deciding vote going to primary. So when the vote would be held on the halibut issue..in the event of a tie the primary users would rule with the deciding vote. What is the make up of the SFAB process in the south coast as it sits now after the last round of elections? In Victoria and Vancouver there was an obvious hostile take over by the secondary users to remove primary reps. In other words industry wants to dictate the fishing season for everyone in BC. I hear the ration is now something like 16 secondary and only 4 primary. If so that is completely out of wack with the guiding terms of reference for these boards and must be fixed ASAP. Just putting this out their so all the Joe Fishers know what is going on!!!!

Are your meeting minutes from the spring shared on here with all Joe fishers?

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?forums/sfab-sfac-information-updates.56/

That is up to each of the local committee chairs to post them. There should be a SFAB Facebook page with all the local chairs being editors so they can post their local meeting goings on...like motions and consensus of opinion of those in attendance of meeting on important issues. It would be much more transparent and others who couldn't attend meetings could have direct input by way of a response to a post from a local chair.

That is up to each of the local committee chairs to post them. There should be a SFAB Facebook page with all the local chairs being editors so they can post their local meeting goings on...like motions and consensus of opinion of those in attendance of meeting on important issues. It would be much more transparent and others who couldn't attend meetings could have direct input by way of a response to a post from a local chair.

Seems to me anyone that attended the meetings get the minutes and could simple send an email to The admin to get them added.

More top secret chair only information ?

Transparency??? Why were the minutes never posted by prior chairs? Other SFAC groups (Area 17 for example ) have Facebook pages and put out notices on it. A great topic for discussion at the South Coast SFAB Meeting. A mini workshop to help train Committee Chairs on how to use Facebook.

I agree this should have been done long ago. It would also be more transparent if recreational anglers were able to see how votes are cast at the south/north and main board. Numbers for and against and who voted which way. Just more balance and checks to ensure the reps are following the wishes of their local
committees and anglers. But more important right now is the huge imbalance between secondary and primary users on the boards.

Wild it shouldn’t just go out to tbose who. attended the meetings it should go out to a list that includes anyone who wants to be sent those minutes. There would be no need to post here then.

In theory they should be archived on the DFO website. But keeping in mind that until recently, when you went to their webpage the most recent information was from 2015, it seems unlikely.
Considering it's a government organization, should they not legally be required to post them as part of the freedom of information act?

Its not going to matter as DFO will do whatever they want ...on a whim ..And some didnt even want it opened early as they figured it doesn't effect them. these are the FACTS.. area 19/20 will once again get the shaft..

Everyone gets treated equally Roy it isn't just 19/20. This primary vs secondary statements accusations are getting ridiculous on here. Wow where is that coming from? As a member of SFAC 17 I am getting pissed off with these comments from people who are bitter, and don't like change.

Area 19/20 go screwed? Are you serious? Look at salmon this year. 18 didn't get a chinook fishery at all!! Lots of areas were under same boat. You guys need to start working with the other areas not against. BTW When we talk at our area 17 meetings no animosity is given to your area at all. In fact when we were voting on the halibut we even stressed how important it was for you guys ( me too as I fish there mostly) to have your early season. That IS THE FACTS. I am sorry you are fed info from only one side that most of the time is negative/unproductive.

It isn't what you think, but can't change your mind either.

In the end though what does this have to do with coming to the halibut meeting and voting?

Last edited:
Searun, the terms of reference for the entire SFAB process is that the primary user shall have the deciding vote at the table. That means the reps will be 50% from the secondary users (industry - guides, lodge owners, manufacturers etc) and 50% from primary (Joe fishers) with the deciding vote going to primary. So when the vote would be held on the halibut issue..in the event of a tie the primary users would rule with the deciding vote. What is the make up of the SFAB process in the south coast as it sits now after the last round of elections? In Victoria and Vancouver there was an obvious hostile take over by the secondary users to remove primary reps. In other words industry wants to dictate the fishing season for everyone in BC. I hear the ratio is now something like 16 secondary and only 4 primary. If so that is completely out of wack with the guiding terms of reference for these boards and must be fixed ASAP. Just putting this out their so all the Joe Fishers know what is going on!!!!

Your secondary?

Yes and alternate which meant for the 10’years that Chris and Tom held the chair and 2nd seat I did nothing as they never missed a meeting and I was never called apon. Before the elections we were 50-50. Chris and Tom primary and me and Glen Varney secondary. Now we are 75-25 with Chris the only primary. Jerrod you might not mind industry dictating the tidal water fisheries with little say from the gum boot fisher but I’m sure many are or will be concerned. The terms of reference are there for a reason.

Any recretional angler can contact the minister or the regional
director and inform them that the terms of reference are not being followed and they insist the proper primary to secondary ratio be addressed so their interested are being represented as intended.

Yes and alternate which meant for the 10’years that Chris and Tom held the chair and 2nd seat I did nothing as they never missed a meeting and I was never called upon. Before the elections we were 50-50. Chris and Tom primary and me and Glen Varney secondary. Now we are 75-25 with Chris the only primary. Jerrod you might not mind industry dictating the tidal water fisheries with little say from the gum boot fisher but I’m sure many are or will be concerned. The terms of reference are there for a reason.

Totally agree. The SFAB process was set up years ago to be a voice for the recreational anglers to have input and feedback into DFO fisheries management. There are other groups and processes for the other sectors to provide their input (e.g. SFI-BC, SVIAC, WCGA,BCWF, etc, and sector and commercial and industry lobby groups, etc.).

For those who may not be aware or know, for the SFAB to work properly as mandated by its terms of reference (see below) all the local, regional committees and main board must have a majority of 'primary level user group members' as is defined on the SFAB website: https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/consultation/smon/sfab-ccps/tor-man-eng.html
____________________________________________________________________________________
Membership
The majority of members of the SFAB will be Primary Level User Group Members.

Primary Level User Group Members are persons who do not receive a significant amount of their annual income directly or indirectly from the recreational fishery. A Primary User Group Member may include a person who is the representative from a non- industry recreational fishing advocacy organization.

The remaining members of the SFAB will be Secondary Level User Group Members.

Secondary Level User Group Members are persons who receive a significant amount of their annual income directly or indirectly from the recreational fishery. A Secondary Level User Group Member may include a person who represents a recreational industry organization.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

If this is not the case now, or anytime in the future then it must be rectified. To rectify one can notify the DFO Minster of Regional Direct General to get it rectified to match the SFAB terms of reference

So get your buddies togeather and take it over .

Funny how they can wake up at 4 am to get on your boat to go fishing but suddenly busy the 2 days a year their are meeting to attend.

Everyone gets treated equally Roy it isn't just 19/20
REALLY this has been going on for over 12 years now in this area and it finally hit other areas last year for the VERY first time . DONT lecture me on whats has gone on ive been here done that for over 20 years and have seen whats been going on ...Ive had conversations with many many many many people and they always said ."sure am glad this doesnt effect us" from both sides of the island .
Think what you want from behind the monitors. Im not bitter at all im disappointed it has come to this when it could have been avoided many many years ago . this last meeting was the highest attended ive seen ever before it was 10 to 30 people that would attend and I saw people there i have never seen before , but there was defiantly a hidden agenda to this last meeting.
I personally will not attend anymore as this system was and is a epic fail now .
So good luck to all that want to keep up the fight and i do wish you well
Wolf OUT

Last edited:
Yes and alternate which meant for the 10’years that Chris and Tom held the chair and 2nd seat I did nothing as they never missed a meeting and I was never called apon. Before the elections we were 50-50. Chris and Tom primary and me and Glen Varney secondary. Now we are 75-25 with Chris the only primary. Jerrod you might not mind industry dictating the tidal water fisheries with little say from the gum boot fisher but I’m sure many are or will be concerned. The terms of reference are there for a reason.

Is your SFAC set up differently than most? you had 2 chairs and 2 alternates?

Can't check you minutes because you for some reason refuse to post them even tho It's obvious you have them

Question so who was the guy in the background at the meeting who disrupted everything, he must have a name. So the hostile take over as it is referred to is why Ryan got elected???? Help a dummy out here please and thanks

Question so who was the guy in the background at the meeting who disrupted everything, he must have a name. So the hostile take over as it is referred to is why Ryan got elected???? Help a dummy out here please and thanks

He got elected cause more people voted for him than Chris. People wanted change. Which isn’t a bad thing.

With this change let’s hope it goes in the right direction. Not putting down the last person as this is a thankless job. But the way things went down Ryan has a lot of work ahead of him to make things right. Thanks Chris for all your hard work and all the best moving forward.

Back