Important Victoria & Area SFAB Halibut Mtg Nov. 27

With this change let’s hope it goes in the right direction. Not putting down the last person as this is a thankless job. But the way things went down Ryan has a lot of work ahead of him to make things right. Thanks Chris for all your hard work and all the best moving forward.

Ok lets stop circling around that main problem, and really get to the bottom of the change.

Not one is saying here that Chris didn't do a good job. You all know I personally supported many of your initiatives, and was there years ago when our area got hammered. I personally feel he is more suited to lead his other organization, and pursue the net pen/lobby activities. Personally thought he was going step down long ago BTW being so busy with both. When his other organization went down the road with the alliance of whale watching it really lost support in the area. If you don't think it did ask around. Many anglers including myself distanced ourselves from it, and I truly believe that is why the JDF derby failed in the summer. Many did warn you guys of what was going in area. That should have been the signal to change course/direction.

You can't do both in such a conflict of interest with another industry, and that is why many of us within the sport fishing community wanted the change. It wasn't about industry taken over, and it is getting silly to mention so. I am sorry your meeting was bad as I wasn't there, and sounds like maybe it should have been handled differently. I wish now I had gone, so I could explain why I would have voted for Ryan in this case. Again this is not personal at all,and Chris has the co-chair still. Also for the record none of this was ever directed at Tom Cole.

You can get mad at myself and others, or take it as an opportunity. It was never personal and respect all of the work Chris and Tom have done together.

Anyway you can hate me if you want but that is the truth. So Christopher/Rollie etc that have commented on here please stop the fighting, and work with Ryan and find a solution that works moving forward.

Last edited:
I’ll still go to the meetings like I always have...normally only a couple a year so not a big sacrifice of personal time. Hopefully the people who attended their first ever meeting to vote will do as well. I have my doubts as it is usually just the same few dedicated that bother to show up. But we’ll see as this meeting is a chance for me to be proven wrong.

Ok lets stop circling around that main problem, and really get to the bottom of the change.

Not one is saying here that Chris didn't do a good job. You all know I personally supported many of your initiatives, and was there years ago when our area got hammered. I personally feel he is more suited to lead his other organization, and pursue the net pen/lobby activities. Personally thought he was going step down long ago BTW being so busy with both. When his other organization went down the road with the alliance of whale watching it really lost support in the area. If you don't think it did ask around. Many anglers including myself distanced ourselves from it, and I truly believe that is why the JDF derby failed in the summer. Many did warn you guys of what was going in area. That should have been the signal to change course/direction.

You can't do both in such a conflict of interest with another industry, and that is why many of us within the sport fishing community wanted the change. It wasn't about industry taken over, and it is getting silly to mention so. I am sorry your meeting was bad as I wasn't there, and sounds like maybe it should have been handled differently. I wish now I had gone, so I could explain why I would have voted for Ryan in this case. Again this is not personal at all,and Chris has the co-chair still. Also for the record none of this was ever directed at Tom Cole.

You can get mad at myself and others, or take it as an opportunity. It was never personal and respect all of the work Chris and Tom have done together.

Anyway you can hate me if you want but that is the truth. So Christopher/Rollie etc that have commented on here please stop the fighting, and work with Ryan and find a solution that works moving forward.

Not mad, and no fighting on my part Jerrod. Just stating the facts as they occurred and are rolling out. I will support Ryan as I hope he will support the fishing interests of recreational anglers. I look forward to what a new Victoria and area chair can do as we have a tough road ahead for us with all the challenges facing the rec sector. You are right we all need to work together to hope to be successful in the future.

Totally agree Ryan has stepped up and we should all thank him just for that.

Oh, you are such a smart one! Because you are now a SFAC secretary in area 17 for what 6 weeks, you think you know and knew it all!? Laughable! Put a few decades in like some of us and then you can tell us that you knew so well! Spare us your questionable wisdom. If you haven't understood yet that exactly the alliance building with likeminded groups will get us ahead then please shut your mouth, spare us your nonsense or if you can't leave it then at least keep it within your area. We have enough problems already in area 19/20 and don't need your cheap and childish attacks and "I told you so"! Once you can show some accomplishments on your account then let's hear you. So far I see nothing but seeding hate and conflict from you. You have much to learn and much growing up to do, secretary!

Oh, you are such a smart one! Because you are now a SFAC secretary in area 17 for what 6 weeks, you think you know and knew it all!? Laughable! Put a few decades in like some of us and then you can tell us that you knew so well! Spare us your questionable wisdom. If you haven't understood yet that exactly the alliance building with likeminded groups will get us ahead then please shut your mouth, spare us your nonsense or if you can't leave it then at least keep it within your area. We have enough problems already in area 19/20 and don't need your cheap and childish attacks and "I told you so"! Once you can show some accomplishments on your account then let's hear you. So far I see nothing but seeding hate and conflict from you. You have much to learn and much growing up to do, secretary!

lol.... calm sea is not so calm tonight I see :eek::rolleyes:

No, I am not. It is absolutely not his place to judge over people who have been involved in this circus for many many years. He thinks he knows something because he talked half a dozen times to some influential players over the last couple of years. He knows very little about fisheries politics, the players involved or the coastal ecosystem in general. We chatted a couple times and I had the pleasure to listen to a few of his incoherent rambles at some of the local meetings. He is allowed to have an opinion but he better refrains from judging over people and things that are way out of his league (yet). I welcome new people around the table but they have to bring along humility and respect.

fare enough..you are entitled to your opinion as much as he is... that being said perhaps u could be a little more respectable in stating your opinion! yes?? some thing that you and most forget there is always more going on that what is presented on the is forum .. .. food for thought ;):)

If you haven't understood yet that exactly the alliance building with likeminded groups will get us ahead then please shut your mouth.

Thank you just reinforced what many have said all along. You can't have an alliance with like minded ( which remains to be seen) groups when the majority of people (primary anglers) you represent don't want it. I am one of many 19/20 (primary anglers) who feels the same way, and you can't tell us to shut up anymore.

Last edited:
fare enough..you are entitled to your opinion as much as he is... that being said perhaps u could be a little more respectable in stating your opinion! yes?? some thing that you and most forget there is always more going on that what is presented on the is forum .. .. food for thought ;):)

It's no use on here. Our fishery is in toughest fight right now BC wide, and this kind of behavior is the last thing we need right now. It is depressing to be honest, and yet again shows why things have changed down there.

It's no use on here. Our fishery is in toughest fight right now BC wide, and this kind of behavior is the last thing we need right now. It is depressing to be honest, and yet again shows why things have changed down there.

You have nothing to show for yet other than repeating Pat's statements over and over without even fully understanding what you are talking about. And then you take the liberty to judge people who earned their stripes over decades? And I don't just talk about Chris Bos. Before you have even the capacity to become a leader in these processes, you better listen and learn for a while, son! We need smart, dedicated and experienced people to lead this fight. I know Ryan has great potential and under Chris' guidance he may do well for us. But this ridiculous mudslinging from an area 17 newbie secretary is disturbing.

I look forward to what a new Victoria and area chair can do as we have a tough road ahead for us with all the challenges facing the rec sector.

Looks like he's doing lots

"Ryan Chamberland, president of the Sooke Region Tourism Association and owner of the Vancouver Island Lodge, says more closures would devastate the small fishing villages along the coast.

"Closing us down — ruining towns, everyone losing equity in their assets and properties, is not going to solve an issue, it's going to create a crisis," Chamberland said."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...restrictions-meant-to-protect-orcas-1.4919711

Halibut threads never cease to rile folks up and entertain.

A lot of the hurt feelings and “them vs us sentiments” would disappear if B.C. would modernize and follow a model similar to Oregon and Washington where meetings are open to the public, advertised well in advance, streamed on line and votes are open to ALL rec anglers on line so everyone gets an equal say, not the few who get voted in.

Here in BCI the SFAC/B meetings are held like it’s a secret society, I’ve never seen or heard of them advertised nor are any of the folks I fish with ever aware of them. I have accessed minutes through other connections and, sadly, the Interior meetings seem to consist of 5 or 6 participants, 5 of whom are ex-DFO or ex- MoE regulators plus the president of the local flyfishing club ... that doesn’t exactly represent the travelling saltwater rec angler community from the interior.

There’s never been a time when our common interests would be better served by engaging the voices, votes and $’s of our large and diverse sector but it seems these archaic boards get entrenched as it seems some take advantage of the secrecy and unbalanced representation to push personal agendas that would not likely be supported by the majority of rec anglers.

The way the halibut fishery is currently being managed, and looks to be in the future, it no longer holds much appeal for the DIY travelling angler, which isn’t surprising given the limited voice we have compared to Lodge/guide and local interests.

Cheers!

Ukee

You have nothing to show for yet other than repeating Pat's statements over and over without even fully understanding what you are talking about. And then you take the liberty to judge people who earned their stripes over decades? And I don't just talk about Chris Bos. Before you have even the capacity to become a leader in these processes, you better listen and learn for a while, son! We need smart, dedicated and experienced people to lead this fight. I know Ryan has great potential and under Chris' guidance he may do well for us. But this ridiculous mudslinging from an area 17 newbie secretary is disturbing.

I am honestly so confused by what has been taking place with your SFAC. Do please share all the stuff that this area has been able to dictate though the SFAB process. Yes please do tell

maybe share the meetings from the spring? or still top secret??

Listen keep dancing around the subject, and getting mad/emotional or you can face the facts. We (not area17) the anglers of 19/20 don't want the whale watching alliance it is that simple. Why is Pat in this now?

You can't go away from what people want. Just for the record my comments on here do not come from area 17. They come as an area 19/20 angler. I am tired of you guys down there who think you were there 30 years ( earn your stripes) are telling the majority of us younger generations of fisherman to be quiet on this subject. How do you ever expect people to show up if you won't listen to anyone's concerns?

Last edited:
“I am tired of you guys down there who think you were there 30 years ( earn your stripes) are telling the majority of us younger generations of fisherman to be quiet on this subject. How do you ever expect people to show up if you won't listen to anyone's concerns?”

This, in a nutshell, is why the SFAB/C model doesn’t accurately reflect the ideas, interests and/or values of the vast majority of rec anglers who aren’t engaged in the current process. The local “fish and game club” approach may have appealed to the baby-boom and older generations, as well as reflected the lack of technology to engage a wider audience back when this approach was initiated, but this approach doesn’t appeal to or meet the needs of younger generations.

I would wager that the vast majority of rec anglers under the age of 50, and a good portion of those older, would prefer web-based dissemination of info by DFO to all license holders, on-line Skype or Go-To meetings when there are significant proposed changes and on-line voting on the options related to those changes. The International Pacific Halibut Commission, Oregon Fish and Game and Washington Fish and Game adopted web-based platforms to engage their entire communities for well over a decade now. It’s 2018 for crying-out-loud, it’s embarrassing and shameful that Canada and BC are still locked in the dark-ages.

Cheers!

Ukee

Back