IMPORTANT NOTE FROM SFI-BC & SVIAC Re: FISHING REGS

At the very least a fish-in (maybe starting a Pender Bluffs) with a flotilla through to Active Pass reversing at Sturdies Bay and ending at the DFO/Coast Guard station on Saltspring on a busy Saturday morning of a long weekend could get some attention and at least make a bit of a stink.

The SFI and SVIAC do communicate with each other often. They are on the same team just a different line. Each contributes to the team in different ways.

The SFI and SVIAC do communicate with each other often. They are on the same team just a different line. Each contributes to the team in different ways.
That’s great! I hope they are planning something BIG for the near future!

Totally but Sviac is purely regional that was what I was getting at. Many areas across BC deal with many issues in each area. Just think we are at the point where we need to amalgamate and pool resources together. You guys need help your area is getting sucked under fast. Just think what next year could look like trying to work alone as one local organization.

I wonder if dfo thought about how much extra fishing pressure will be put on bottom fish now that the salmon limits have been reduced. It will be a lot easier to limit out on salmon now and I bet people who wouldn't normally spend much time jigging will start focussing more on bottom fish.

I wonder if dfo thought about how much extra fishing pressure will be put on bottom fish now that the salmon limits have been reduced. It will be a lot easier to limit out on salmon now and I bet people who wouldn't normally spend much time jigging will start focussing more on bottom fish.

All DFO employees think about is keeping their federal jobs and getting their juicy pensions

Wow Dave! This is a day to mark on the calendar. I am in full agreement with you and we both know that does not happen often given your frequent role here is to run PR for fish farms. I like to keep my finger on the pulse and in terms of those who are professional fisheries managers and officers there are a surprising number who appear to have concerns about how their liberal Government masters have been mismanaging DFO as it relates to sport fishing, not that they could ever express them publicly and keep their jobs. In short some are not any happier about recent decisions than we are. I have even heard of some contemplating retirement because of it. Lets keep the criticism and responsibility for the current mess where it belongs and that is with the Federal Liberal Government in terms of Regs., and whale excuse sport fishing closures of entire coast lines in order to try and put a little sugar on the pipeline pill for the NGO's.

Last edited:
Hey guys. I haven't read the entire thread here. Too many replys. Can anyone confirm which areas are closed around the Fraser mouth? Roberts bank? Sand heads? Pt Grey bellboy? Thanx.

Not ALL sport fishermen think about IS taking their limits .........

I've been fishing this Coastline for 57 years. North to South Inside and out. And the mismanagement I have seen and blatant disregard for or wild stocks is purely Sickening........ Yes these latest moves by the Liberals are out and out shocking..... It goes way back. Heck even when we had a local David Anderson at the helm .....his moves were questionable at best. No, it's been mismanaged for many many years. From allowing Fish Farms to flourish and expand year after year, to turning a blind eye on habitat distruction from logging. The UNACCOUNTABILITY of FN netting or log jamming the rivers with nets, the lack of enforcement and staff cuts, the recommendations by the governments own Biologists, the recommendations of experts after inquiries not followed. It goes on and on.

This spring the inside fishery has been terrific. We've been into great numbers of fish, kept some and released a lot, yes legal fish too. It's NOT ALL sportfishermen want to keep their limit. We want sound management, we want accountability from ALL SIDES. From Recreational , Commercial, from FN, from GOVERNMENT.

For me, my dad of 84 years, for my bro and too many friends to list, it's NOT ABOUT CATCHING OUR LIMITS.
Its about being able to fish with our grandkids, it's about management that secures a future not only for the fish but for opportunity to enjoy the beautiful wonders if the ocean. Like many of us have years prior.

It's about sustainability ......... This new plan DOES NONE OF THAT.

WAY TO GO DFO and those responsible past and present. Hang your heads in shame. It's duscusting what you have done in the past and continue to do.

HT

Hey guys. I haven't read the entire thread here. Too many replys. Can anyone confirm which areas are closed around the Fraser mouth? Roberts bank? Sand heads? Pt Grey bellboy? Thanx.
Maybe you should take the time to get informed. A few are pulling the weight for everyone else which is part of the reason for these ridiculous restrictions.

About 8 months ago I told a retired dfo biologist about the SRKW restrictions proposed and the possibility of further restrictions around chinook for the SOG and JDF.

His response was " oh their finally going to do that." Their is some management decisions that have been sitting on ottawa's desk since the harper government got voted in now what all most 15 years ago?

The second thing is DFO gets its budget from Ottawa. When the Finance minister and Trudeau are going over the budget they say hmmm what's the best chance of getting re elected. Giving money to DFO has never been that high on Ottawa's list.

Harper favored keeping commercial and recreational fisheries open, The Liberals favors letting first nations fish and the environment. ITs always been like this

Despite all the great work that hunters and fishermen do for the enviorment, we will always be perceived by thoes in ottawa is being a primarily right leaning voting base.

Also then there's the Budget divide within DFO. WHO gets more money east coast fisheries or West coast fisheries. Well guess what pretty much the whole maritimes voted for a liberal government

upload_2018-6-3_12-29-23.png

Can't make heads or tails of the closures around the mouth of the Fraser. In lay mans terms- coal port closed? Pt grey bell bouy closed? West of sand heads open? Thanx

Oh and see that chunk of red by vancouver, well vancouver never got fin fish closures.

• Goal: To increase the availability of preferred prey, and limit disturbance from recreational and commercial fishers while facilitating some fishing opportunities to mitigate economic impacts.
Apparently
economic impacts were more import in vancouver then in pender or sooke.

upload_2018-6-3_12-37-30.png

I dont even live in Canada and I just joined SFI. I can't believe there are what looks like alot of you who havent. Everyone with a rod in the water should be a member of both SFI AND BCWF[/QUOTE

Ahmen Brother!

Back