IMPORTANT NOTE FROM SFI-BC & SVIAC Re: FISHING REGS

One wonders why The US and Canada do not get together and send scientists out in the ocean to see if they can find the reasons?

Sitting in front of computers does nothing.

Bloody sad..... so who is to blame ? Not loss of habitat in AK. Previous over fishing ? Possible. How about a shift in ocean productivity and over production.. possible. But I do know that a biologist sitting behind a computer can only do so much and that MUCH more immediate research is needed.

One wonders why The US and Canada do not get together and send scientists out in the ocean to see if they can find the reasons?

Sitting in front of computers does nothing.
Because pissing off rec fishers is not political suicide.

Take a leaf out of the NRA’s book. They have firm membership and do not give an inch. Rightly so.

Until you have that, then we will be fodder for dickheads who strive for careers.

Its good there are letter writing activities going on, but I do find it a bit ironic showing a picture as part of the argument that is indicative of the excess retention of big chinook salmon we as sport fisherman (and our predecessors) participated in that contributed to the species decline. It looks like there are over 30 mostly large chinook in this one picture. This seems to be evidence of where some of that missing Nahmint run went.
I think it is meant to highlight DFO's manage to zero mandate.

To be fair, how many people need more than a 2 fish limit? I have given about half my limit away to neighbors/friends from mid August onward last couple years as the Spring fishery has been great. I hate the thought that people are eating farmed salmon/FN catches. Some people bark at the thought of “full freezers” but sheesh, if I pay the amount needed to keep a boat and if I’m lucky enough to catch the limit then so be it.

The reason I have a problem with this new direction is because this is just a pre cursor to what’s coming. Next year, I’ll bet my bottom dollar, will be all non retention.

They are waiting to see how we react and from what I’ve seen on this forum, the reaction from sporties will be subdued and easily taken politically.

Fishing by yourself or on a trip that costs thousands of dollars is when you'd want to take home 2 springs a day

To be fair, how many people need more than a 2 fish limit? I have given about half my limit away to neighbors/friends from mid August onward last couple years as the Spring fishery has been great. I hate the thought that people are eating farmed salmon/FN catches. Some people bark at the thought of “full freezers” but sheesh, if I pay the amount needed to keep a boat and if I’m lucky enough to catch the limit then so be it.

The reason I have a problem with this new direction is because this is just a pre cursor to what’s coming. Next year, I’ll bet my bottom dollar, will be all non retention.

They are waiting to see how we react and from what I’ve seen on this forum, the reaction from sporties will be subdued and easily taken politically.

Next year is a different year that can have different out comes... 1 year at a time here folks.. this not the first time we have been here..............

Well, I can tell you it's the first time that the majority of the JdF Strait is closed to fin fishing. Can't see that coming off anytime soon without a major brain power injection into DFO.

Back