IMPORTANT NOTE FROM SFI-BC & SVIAC Re: FISHING REGS

You might be right, but ranting about something that has had no effect on where we are or why we are there is not doing us any good in the public’s eyes.

Have to agree, it just seems desperate trying to tie it back to Kinder Morgan, Its not the only traffic into and out of the port. KM has about 5 ships a month out of the roughly 275 per month that come to the port, after expansion it could go up to 30 to 35 per month, but still not a huge increase in overall traffic.

Primary communication points are usually positives, the positive economic effects for coastal communities, he economic activity of sportfishing and the jobs it provides. Importantly it needs to be communicated about sport fishing attempts to consult and do our part and and provide workable solutions that included closures that would have achieved the objectives that were completely ignored. For perspective some video shots of Whale watching boats harassing whales to underscore the sacrifices sporties are making while other sectors that have activities that have been identified as potentially detrimental to the whales are not being asked to do the same. A host of secondary messages including positions on habitat restoration and enforcement of closures , should be in prepared and in hand for answering questions from the audience be it reporters from TV, journalists etc. Anyone potentially doing interviews on behalf of Sport fishing organizations should be trained and ready to deliver the primary messages and answer questions with consistent talking points.

While I'm sure Mr Bird was well intentioned, he was just winging it for this article. You cant do interviews that way, the result is a take home message that isn't consistent, credible or beneficial.

If we do not start to BLAME DFO for the real reasons for the demise of the salmon and the complete lack of doing anything for YEARS, then we are lost.

We did not cause this and actually we as a group have probably done more for Salmon than any other group.

Yet no one is selling this story?

Small hatcheries, stream work, fish counts and the list goes on.

The YEARS of working and advising DFO. Telling them over and over about our concerns about salmon.
Remember these people who have worked within the SFAB are and always were volunteers.

The GREENS are not volunteers.
They also do not play fair.

We need a group that is Political and as the competition has spin doctors ready to go.

So, who is going to be the face of this group?

This will call for a political person.

They will need to raise a lot of money as well.

If you can capture 200,000 of the 350,000 fishermen out there and collect just $10.00 from each it would be a great start.

So, either this gets done real soon or there is no doubt it soon will be over.

By the way, while you are fishing this year, the other groups are meeting over MPA’s and where they will be.

So do not be surprised if they close areas to fishing. I am betting it will be just like these closures because we are a push over.

Look at the comments on the CBC article were screwed!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...-in-effort-to-protect-killer-whales-1.4687256

upload_2018-6-1_21-50-42.png

Anybody want to lend me their Swaro Spotter rigged with a camera, i will make good use out of it and take endless pictures of the whale watching boats harassing the shiet out of the poor whales
Please capture all the evidence you can. I saw a rather interesting clip on CBC with 10 whale watching boats video taped following a pod of whales in closer than 100M proximity for some!! We are loving these animals to death, and it isnt the rec fishing sector doing it!

Lets gather the evidence and post it to You Tube please.

If we do not start to BLAME DFO for the real reasons for the demise of the salmon and the complete lack of doing anything for YEARS, then we are lost.

We did not cause this and actually we as a group have probably done more for Salmon than any other group.

The YEARS of working and advising DFO. Telling them over and over about our concerns about salmon.
Remember these people who have worked within the SFAB are and always were volunteers.

We need a group that is Political and as the competition has spin doctors ready to go.

If you can capture 200,000 of the 350,000 fishermen out there and collect just $10.00 from each it would be a great start.

By the way, while you are fishing this year, the other groups are meeting over MPA’s and where they will be.

So do not be surprised if they close areas to fishing. I am betting it will be just like these closures because we are a push over.

As a start, join SFI and suggest to others to do the same. They look to be the only lobby group working for our interests.

If even 1/2 of those who had a personal or economic interest in a healthy sport fishing industry joined, we would have some clout behind us.

Everyone wants to point the blame at fisherman but don’t understand all the time and money contributed to the health and conservation of the fish. I would say on balance we have a net zero impact (or at least far less impact than simply the number of fish caught). Add up all the economic and conservation benefit created by the sportfishing community....are we really the group that should be taking the biggest hit?!?

Time to put a few bucks to work.

man I feel sorry for Owen Bird im sure they interviewed him for awhile and he probably said a bunch of great stuff about the issues facing sports fishing.

Then CBC only includes the part with him ranting about pipelines. how embarrassing

What he is saying is accurate and fair IMO. It's not ranting about pipelines it's that the closure is a political decision based on optics about the pipeline. I don't think there is much to dispute that the closure is connected to KM.

As a start, join SFI and suggest to others to do the same. They look to be the only lobby group working for our interests.

If even 1/2 of those who had a personal or economic interest in a healthy sport fishing industry joined, we would have some clout behind us.

Everyone wants to point the blame at fisherman but don’t understand all the time and money contributed to the health and conservation of the fish. I would say on balance we have a net zero impact (or at least far less impact than simply the number of fish caught). Add up all the economic and conservation benefit created by the sportfishing community....are we really the group that should be taking the biggest hit?!?

Time to put a few bucks to work.

It's the only group in my opinion. But people seem to think it's just businesses so why bother. SVIAC is only south island and SFI covers all of BC. When this happened the delegates for SFI were actually in Ottawa fighting for our behalf. Personally instead of talking about SVIAC should fold over and join SFI as a wing of organization . This battle is way to big for two organizations to do it seperately they have to become one. I would also like to see the SFAB advisory piece of SVIAC distanced separately from SVIAC. This group needs to focus on lobbying not advising. It's hard to do both with what has gone on. What happened in south island was ****** and being more active in lobbying is what the area needs.

Last edited:

I agree completely, I dont give a rats arse about which group takes the lead, but it should be one of the ones with a provincial mandate. Form a cohesive plan with all the other groups and start presenting the facts. SILENCE and infighting will kill us .

So here i am having a morning coffee sitting outside looking at the beautiful flat calm ocean, when all of a sudden there is a rec fisher setting up in front of the house, dam if he doesn't have the place all to himself :D Anyways i flag him on channel 16 and tell him it is closed, he didn't know thanked me numerous times and off he goes happy as a lamb :)

It's the only group in my opinion. But people seem to think it's just businesses so why bother. SVIAC is only south island and SFI covers all of BC. When this happened the delegates for SFI we actually in Ottawa fighting for our behalf. Personally instead of talking about SVIAC should fold over and join SFI as a wing of organization . This battle is way to big for two organizations to do it seperately they have to become one. I would also like to see the SFAB advisery piece of SVIAC distanced separately from SVIAC. This group needs to focus on lobbying not advising. It's hard to do both with what has gone on. What happened in south island was ****** and being more active in lobbying is what the area needs.
I dont know the working structure of all the fishing support groups, but I do know that each group should have a liaison board member that that coordinates with SFI. We need to get out a coordinated and consistent message from all user groups.

So here i am having a morning coffee sitting outside looking at the beautiful flat calm ocean, when all of a sudden there is a rec fisher setting up in front of the house, dam if he doesn't have the place all to himself :D Anyways i flag him on channel 16 and tell him it is closed, he didn't know thanked me numerous times and off he goes happy as a lamb :)
Nice job! you just saved the lives of 3 whales. Sooke or pender?

There's a new sheriff on that spot :eek:

You are forgetting that the BCWF was in Ottawa on many occasions for this subject.
They have been involved throughout this fight.

So you need to add them to groups involved .

It's the only group in my opinion. But people seem to think it's just businesses so why bother. SVIAC is only south island and SFI covers all of BC. When this happened the delegates for SFI we actually in Ottawa fighting for our behalf. Personally instead of talking about SVIAC should fold over and join SFI as a wing of organization . This battle is way to big for two organizations to do it seperately they have to become one. I would also like to see the SFAB advisery piece of SVIAC distanced separately from SVIAC. This group needs to focus on lobbying not advising. It's hard to do both with what has gone on. What happened in south island was ****** and being more active in lobbying is what the area needs.

You are forgetting that the BCWF was in Ottawa on many occasions for this subject.
They have been involved throughout this fight.

So you need to add them to groups involved .

Can you do me a favor? Can you reach out and solve your past issue with SFI directly so we can all move on? It spills out on forum and isn't a part of the topic. We all know BCWF was there.

Might be a good time for the executive of SFI or BCWF to try and get a meeting going with the other organizations such as SVIAC etc.and formulate a plan they all,or a majority,sign off on? Maybe they can project a united front.

Individuals still need to write the Minister, their MP and MLA’s. These closures will have a significant economic affect, politicians need to be reminded of that!

As taken from California’s post.
This says it well.

Primary communication points are usually positives, the positive economic effects for coastal communities, he economic activity of sportfishing and the jobs it provides. Importantly it needs to be communicated about sport fishing attempts to consult and do our part and and provide workable solutions that included closures that would have achieved the objectives that were completely ignored. For perspective some video shots of Whale watching boats harassing whales to underscore the sacrifices sporties are making while other sectors that have activities that have been identified as potentially detrimental to the whales are not being asked to do the same. A host of secondary messages including positions on habitat restoration and enforcement of closures , should be in prepared and in hand for answering questions from the audience be it reporters from TV, journalists etc. Anyone potentially doing interviews on behalf of Sport fishing organizations should be trained and ready to deliver the primary messages and answer questions with consistent talking points.

Can you do me a favor? Can you reach out and solve your past issue with SFI directly so we can all move on? It spills out on forum and isn't a part of the topic. We all know BCWF was there.

These restrictions are very frustrating as we all know they do nothing to actually help the situation. I feel the mass population has no idea they all just think whales are being saved now and who would ever disagree that should happen if possible. The general public have only ever really been presented one side of a complex situation. I kinda feel everyone should protest these new ridiculous restrictions, as once in place they seldom switch back. Restrictions will only get worse. The negotiations haven’t seemed to work, seems when people risk arrest and consequences with pipeline protests and what not and gets attention. Has the general public ever even been told about how devastating the nets in the river are doesn’t seem like it. Seems like a no brainer to all of us who spend tons of time on the water, no more nets, control the seals, cut back the commercial herring and restrict the whale watching harassment if you really want to help the stocks. Somehow the masses to to hear the real story of how this is just a political smoke and mirrors show. I get we are all good law abiding people though and no one wants to break the rules.

Back