Important Information on Calling in Fisheries Violations to DFO ORR phone line

cohochinook

I thought I would share this on calling in Fisheries Violations to the DFO Observe, Record and Report Line. Here the ORR Phone number to use 1-800-465-4336..

I know many of us observe fisheries violations on the water and get frustrated at times by lack of response or action. The information below was recently shared with me and worth reading:

"Good morning. I have been assigned to oversee the DFO radio room operations. I have been advised by Officer Demsky that some of you or your members are unhappy with the performance of the radio room. Our radio room is staffed with contract personnel from the Canadian Corps of Commissionaires(CCC). The CCC has had recruitment and retention problems of late and this has resulted in the radio room having reduced hours of operation. Out of the 5 positions that DFO requires there are currently only 2 operators currently working the radio room. This situation is being rectified and I hope that shortly after Christmas to be up to a full complement of operators.

I know in the past there have been issues with the quality of service provided by the radio room. I am exploring all possible solutions to providing a professional, stable telecommunications service not only to the general public but to our Fishery Officers in the field. In the meantime please continue to utilize the ORR line as it is the fastest and best way to report violations and provide and receive information to and from C&P. I have access to every recording to the ORR line both incoming and outgoing, and have been doing quality control audits of our communications on the ORR line.

In my 33 years with C&P I have experienced the good, the bad, and the ugly with respect to radio room operations. What I can say is that everyone in the chain of communications have a part to play if we are to have effective communications. An example would be that the information being reported needs to be detailed and as complete as possible, the radio operator needs to be proficient and courteous, and the Fishery Officers need to follow up if an when required. The radio room operators are just there to record and transfer information, not to be able to answer all questions about all fisheries in the Pacific Region. They should be able however to find someone that can. When incidents are passed on to the subject matter experts it is their job to reply, not the radio room operator.

If you or your members encounter unsatisfactory service from my radio operators or would like to discuss this matter further please contact me directly.

Thank you.

Andy Lewis

Senior Program Officer

Conservation and Protection

Terrace B.C.

250-615-9581"

Back